First game to be banned in NZ

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jackson, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. Jackson

    Jackson Guest

    Jackson, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Jackson

    T.N.O. Guest

    Jackson wrote:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
    > A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
    > ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
    > New Zealand.

    Normally Im against this sort of thing, but from their(Stuff)
    description, and what I have read online about the game, it isn't a
    great loss...

    Infact, Im kinda pleased.
    T.N.O., Dec 12, 2003

  3. Hi there,

    Jackson wrote:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
    >
    > A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
    > ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
    > New Zealand.

    Only from America...

    Its ironic that censors can judge a videogame to be injurious to the
    public good, but not censor general news about Iraq or any other place
    currently in a state of conflict. In those places you see the brutal
    reality of war, and the result of too many old men trying to force
    their protocol down the throats of those whom they claim to lead...

    Sound like a crap game anyway...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Jackson

    Lebowski Guest

    "Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
    >
    > A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
    > ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
    > New Zealand.
    >
    > Jackson.

    Postal 2 was a great game - and retailers refused to import that game due to
    "ratings issues". These games just aren't about sick violence, the emphasis
    is on politically-incorrect humour. Like South Park, Itchy and Scratchy,
    Family Guy....poking fun at stereotypes and the ills in society. Mind you, I
    don't know anything about the Manhunt game but Postal 2 was bloody
    brilliant.
    Lebowski, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Jackson

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:34:03 +1300, Jackson wrote:

    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
    >
    > A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
    > ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
    > New Zealand.

    And so and underworld is created. ;-(

    Gordon, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Jackson

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:39:13 +1300, "Gordon" <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:34:03 +1300, Jackson wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
    >>
    >> A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
    >> ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
    >> New Zealand.

    >And so and underworld is created. ;-(

    It's 2000mb to download it. You'd have to really want it to use up
    that much of your monthly bandwidth on it.
    Craig Shore, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Jackson

    samg Guest

    "Jackson" <> wrote in

    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
    >
    > A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in
    > sight in ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to
    > be banned in New Zealand.
    >
    > Jackson.

    Its a game designed specifically for adults so a ban is overkill. Youd see
    much worse in your average horror film.
    samg, Dec 12, 2003
  8. Jackson wrote:

    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
    >
    > A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
    > ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
    > New Zealand.
    >
    > Jackson.

    Never heard of it before. Guess I will have to get a copy just so I have a copy
    of it ;)
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 12, 2003
  9. Jackson

    XPD Guest

    "Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
    >
    > A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
    > ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
    > New Zealand.
    >
    > Jackson.

    It will now be the most sought after game in NZ. You announce very publicly
    that a game is going to be banned, you just make it even more sought after.
    Postal 2 never arrived in NZ really due to its questionable gameplay.... did
    anyone really care ? Nope. Why ? Cause noone knew about it. (apart from the
    hardcore gamesplayers)

    Manhunt is aimed at an adult audience, if youre an adult, you just dont buy
    it for your kids or for yourself if you dont like that sort of game.
    Has anyone forced you to go watch the movie Bad Taste ? No. Does anyone
    force you to play violent games ? No.

    Theres more violence and sex on TV than in games these days..... so dont
    believe the usual "games incite violence in our kids", its more likely them
    watching movies that causes it because movies are a bit more realistic than
    games for now. (Visually)

    Its your decision and free will that dictates what youll buy/do.....
    obviously free will means nothing to NZ govt bodies anymore, we'll only buy
    what they tell us we can buy.

    my rant over... not aimed at anyone in particular, just my opinion :)
    XPD, Dec 12, 2003
  10. Jackson

    PseUDO Guest

    PseUDO, Dec 12, 2003
  11. Jackson

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <_AmCb.12686$>,
    says...

    > "Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
    > >
    > > A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in sight in
    > > ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned in
    > > New Zealand.
    > >
    > > Jackson.
    > >

    > It can still be ordered from gameplanets aussie store $89.95 au
    > http://www.gpstore.com.au/product.x?1457906

    Download only, Customs can legally intercept anything coming in the post

    Mainlander, Dec 12, 2003
  12. Jackson

    PseUDO Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <_AmCb.12686$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > > > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2756885a10,00.html
    > > >
    > > > A computer video game that encourages players to kill everyone in

    sight in
    > > > ever more gruesome ways has become the first such product to be banned

    in
    > > > New Zealand.
    > > >
    > > > Jackson.
    > > >

    > > It can still be ordered from gameplanets aussie store $89.95 au
    > > http://www.gpstore.com.au/product.x?1457906

    > Download only, Customs can legally intercept anything coming in the post

    They wont though, there will be hundreds of copies coming into NZ over the
    next few months, some people in the gameplanet ps2 forum have already placed
    their orders.

    All customs will see is a package wrapped in brown paper the same size as
    one of the thousands of DVD's that pass through every month.

    The import ban will only effect somebody who tries to import a couple of
    hundred copies at once.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Dec 13, 2003
  13. Jackson

    Ken C Guest

    You're right. Now that it is banned. I want a copy!!
    Never even knew it existed before it made news!

    Ken C, Dec 14, 2003