First Foray into Trixbox

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Telephoneman, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    After mulling it over for a few months I decided finally to build an
    Asterisk box (Trixbox 1.1) as I have a few different voip accounts and I'd
    like to bring together 2 offices and home. Since my son had upgraded his PC
    he sold me his "old" machine (2.6 GHz, 500 MB RAM, Win XP) for £50! Now I
    had no excuse!

    Nerdvittles' confidant "we'll get you up and running in an hour" proved a
    little over ambitious, as thanks to problems with my Office PC it 4 hours
    just to burn the ISO disk.

    Anyway, I now have the software loaded; I can access the * machine from the
    browser of one of the other PCs on the network and I've updated all the
    passwords as instructed. The next step is to get updates for the software.
    In Root I've entered the "Trixbox-update.sh update" command but it tells me
    it's unable to Ping the Update.trixbox.org server.

    My Router is a speedtouch 716G. I'm not particularly good when it comes to
    understanding things like NAT, Port forwarding, DMZs etc but I have got a
    number of voip phones working through it (voipfone) so I am capable of
    following instructions.

    Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do? In anticipation of
    accessing the box remotely I've also set up a Dynamic DNS service with
    Dyndns (although I'm not 100% sure of where I'm going with it). Any help
    would be appreciated.

    If there's a better Forum for Trixbox Newbies let me know and I'll take my
    problems there.

    TIA

    Liam
     
    Telephoneman, Aug 1, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Telephoneman

    Graham. Guest

    $...
    > After mulling it over for a few months I decided finally to build an
    > Asterisk box (Trixbox 1.1) as I have a few different voip accounts and I'd
    > like to bring together 2 offices and home. Since my son had upgraded his
    > PC he sold me his "old" machine (2.6 GHz, 500 MB RAM, Win XP) for £50! Now
    > I had no excuse!
    >
    > Nerdvittles' confidant "we'll get you up and running in an hour" proved a
    > little over ambitious, as thanks to problems with my Office PC it 4 hours
    > just to burn the ISO disk.
    >
    > Anyway, I now have the software loaded; I can access the * machine from
    > the browser of one of the other PCs on the network and I've updated all
    > the passwords as instructed. The next step is to get updates for the
    > software. In Root I've entered the "Trixbox-update.sh update" command but
    > it tells me it's unable to Ping the Update.trixbox.org server.
    >
    > My Router is a speedtouch 716G. I'm not particularly good when it comes to
    > understanding things like NAT, Port forwarding, DMZs etc but I have got a
    > number of voip phones working through it (voipfone) so I am capable of
    > following instructions.
    >
    > Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do? In anticipation of
    > accessing the box remotely I've also set up a Dynamic DNS service with
    > Dyndns (although I'm not 100% sure of where I'm going with it). Any help
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > If there's a better Forum for Trixbox Newbies let me know and I'll take my
    > problems there.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Liam



    Have you issued the command 'netconfig' and given the box a static address
    and made sure the gateway address is pointing to your router?

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
     
    Graham., Aug 1, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Telephoneman

    Jono Guest

    Telephoneman has brought this to us :
    > After mulling it over for a few months I decided finally to build an Asterisk
    > box (Trixbox 1.1) as I have a few different voip accounts and I'd like to
    > bring together 2 offices and home. Since my son had upgraded his PC he sold
    > me his "old" machine (2.6 GHz, 500 MB RAM, Win XP) for £50! Now I had no
    > excuse!
    >
    > Nerdvittles' confidant "we'll get you up and running in an hour" proved a
    > little over ambitious, as thanks to problems with my Office PC it 4 hours
    > just to burn the ISO disk.


    The hour doesn't iclude downloading the ISO & burning it.

    > Anyway, I now have the software loaded; I can access the * machine from the
    > browser of one of the other PCs on the network and I've updated all the
    > passwords as instructed. The next step is to get updates for the software. In
    > Root I've entered the "Trixbox-update.sh update" command but it tells me it's
    > unable to Ping the Update.trixbox.org server.


    Can you ping it from your windows box?

    I'm still on asterisk@home, though have tinkered with the vmware image
    of Trixbox - the update script worked fine, so double check what you're
    doing.


    > My Router is a speedtouch 716G. I'm not particularly good when it comes to
    > understanding things like NAT, Port forwarding, DMZs etc but I have got a
    > number of voip phones working through it (voipfone) so I am capable of
    > following instructions.


    Mainly ports 5060 & 10001-20000, however IAX requires 4569 (IIRC)

    > Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do? In anticipation of
    > accessing the box remotely I've also set up a Dynamic DNS service with Dyndns
    > (although I'm not 100% sure of where I'm going with it). Any help would be
    > appreciated.


    > If there's a better Forum for Trixbox Newbies let me know and I'll take my
    > problems there.


    Follow the nerdvittles site. also the forums at voxilla.com are very
    useful. It would be woeth hanging around in the forums at trixbox.org.
    There are quite a few users here, too.


    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Liam
     
    Jono, Aug 1, 2006
    #3
  4. Telephoneman

    Jono Guest

    on 01/08/2006, Graham. supposed :
    > $...
    >> After mulling it over for a few months I decided finally to build an
    >> Asterisk box (Trixbox 1.1) as I have a few different voip accounts and I'd
    >> like to bring together 2 offices and home. Since my son had upgraded his PC
    >> he sold me his "old" machine (2.6 GHz, 500 MB RAM, Win XP) for £50! Now I
    >> had no excuse!
    >>
    >> Nerdvittles' confidant "we'll get you up and running in an hour" proved a
    >> little over ambitious, as thanks to problems with my Office PC it 4 hours
    >> just to burn the ISO disk.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I now have the software loaded; I can access the * machine from the
    >> browser of one of the other PCs on the network and I've updated all the
    >> passwords as instructed. The next step is to get updates for the software.
    >> In Root I've entered the "Trixbox-update.sh update" command but it tells me
    >> it's unable to Ping the Update.trixbox.org server.
    >>
    >> My Router is a speedtouch 716G. I'm not particularly good when it comes to
    >> understanding things like NAT, Port forwarding, DMZs etc but I have got a
    >> number of voip phones working through it (voipfone) so I am capable of
    >> following instructions.
    >>
    >> Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do? In anticipation of
    >> accessing the box remotely I've also set up a Dynamic DNS service with
    >> Dyndns (although I'm not 100% sure of where I'm going with it). Any help
    >> would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> If there's a better Forum for Trixbox Newbies let me know and I'll take my
    >> problems there.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Liam

    >
    >
    > Have you issued the command 'netconfig' and given the box a static address
    > and made sure the gateway address is pointing to your router?


    Whether he has or hasn't he says he can an access the * machine from
    the browser of one of the other PCs on the network
     
    Jono, Aug 1, 2006
    #4
  5. Telephoneman

    Graham. Guest


    >
    > Whether he has or hasn't he says he can an access the * machine from the
    > browser of one of the other PCs on the network



    Yes from *inside* his LAN. But it seems to me that the box isn't seeing the
    internet so I would set the gateway address manually rather than use DHCP

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
     
    Graham., Aug 1, 2006
    #5
  6. Telephoneman

    paul123 Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:
    [snipped]
    > The next step is to get updates for the software.
    > In Root I've entered the "Trixbox-update.sh update" command but it tells me
    > it's unable to Ping the Update.trixbox.org server.


    don't know if it's relevant, but that I checked back on my Trixbox and
    I had "trixbox-update.sh" with a lower case for the "T"

    > My Router is a speedtouch 716G.
    > I'm not particularly good when it comes to
    > understanding things like NAT, Port forwarding, DMZs etc but I have got a
    > number of voip phones working through it (voipfone) so I am capable of
    > following instructions.
    >
    > Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do? In anticipation of
    > accessing the box remotely I've also set up a Dynamic DNS service with
    > Dyndns (although I'm not 100% sure of where I'm going with it).


    I have a 716g too. On the 716g admin pages:
    I have a dyndns.org setup too.
    in advanced-virtual server-dmz host: check IP address of DMZ host:
    192.168.1.62 (my lan ip for the trixbox)
    in advanced-virtual server-Dynamic dns: put your.dyndns.org details
    in in advanced-virtual server-static DNS: put your dns.dyndns.org
    mapped to 192.168.1.62 (in my case)

    As a note aside, I'd say I DID have this setup without the DMZ and it
    was working fine. I only added that when one of my trunks wouldn't work
    properly though can't remember which one - I have quite a lot.

    There are a few other 'tweaks' I've made, but I'm not sure they affect
    the end result.
     
    paul123, Aug 1, 2006
    #6
  7. Telephoneman

    linker3000 Guest

    Graham. wrote:
    >> Whether he has or hasn't he says he can an access the * machine from the
    >> browser of one of the other PCs on the network

    >
    >
    > Yes from *inside* his LAN. But it seems to me that the box isn't seeing the
    > internet so I would set the gateway address manually rather than use DHCP
    >


    If the setup's anything like Asterisk@home (I haven't tried Trixbox yet)
    then on occasions I have found that the underlying Centos setup doesn't
    'do' the network config correctly so running netconfig (or even just
    setup) is a good idea - a 'classic' is no proper resolv.conf entries.

    Note to OP - can you ping something - say news.bbc.co.uk??
     
    linker3000, Aug 1, 2006
    #7
  8. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    Thanks Guys, I'll have a look at all theses points in the morning.
    "paul123" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Telephoneman wrote:
    > [snipped]
    >> The next step is to get updates for the software.
    >> In Root I've entered the "Trixbox-update.sh update" command but it tells
    >> me
    >> it's unable to Ping the Update.trixbox.org server.

    >
    > don't know if it's relevant, but that I checked back on my Trixbox and
    > I had "trixbox-update.sh" with a lower case for the "T"
    >
    >> My Router is a speedtouch 716G.
    >> I'm not particularly good when it comes to
    >> understanding things like NAT, Port forwarding, DMZs etc but I have got a
    >> number of voip phones working through it (voipfone) so I am capable of
    >> following instructions.
    >>
    >> Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do? In anticipation of
    >> accessing the box remotely I've also set up a Dynamic DNS service with
    >> Dyndns (although I'm not 100% sure of where I'm going with it).

    >
    > I have a 716g too. On the 716g admin pages:
    > I have a dyndns.org setup too.
    > in advanced-virtual server-dmz host: check IP address of DMZ host:
    > 192.168.1.62 (my lan ip for the trixbox)
    > in advanced-virtual server-Dynamic dns: put your.dyndns.org details
    > in in advanced-virtual server-static DNS: put your dns.dyndns.org
    > mapped to 192.168.1.62 (in my case)
    >
    > As a note aside, I'd say I DID have this setup without the DMZ and it
    > was working fine. I only added that when one of my trunks wouldn't work
    > properly though can't remember which one - I have quite a lot.
    >
    > There are a few other 'tweaks' I've made, but I'm not sure they affect
    > the end result.


    >

    Thanks Guys, I'll have a look at all theses points in the morning.

    don't know if it's relevant, but that I checked back on my Trixbox and
    > I had "trixbox-update.sh" with a lower case for the "T"


    Yes, it was just a typo in the post.

    Liam
     
    Telephoneman, Aug 1, 2006
    #8
  9. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    OK, I've entered all the port forwarding info etc as suggested. I've set up
    the Static IP and run netconfig.

    When I try to update "trixbox-update.sh update" it asks me to check my
    network, however if I enter "ping upgrade.trixbox.org" it pings away quite
    happily (incidentally, the first time I did this I didn't know how to stop
    it pinging, LOL).

    On another matter (let me know if I'm trying your patience) How do I load
    FreePBX? The Nerdvittles info tells me that it will be on the main Trixbox
    page (accessed the the PC browser) but it's not under applications - I've
    only got SugarCRM. I have a copy of Freepbx 2.1.1 tar.gz on disk, how does
    it load?

    TIA

    Liam
     
    Telephoneman, Aug 2, 2006
    #9
  10. Telephoneman

    paul123 Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:
    [snipped]
    > On another matter (let me know if I'm trying your patience) How do I load
    > FreePBX? The Nerdvittles info tells me that it will be on the main Trixbox
    > page (accessed the the PC browser) but it's not under applications - I've
    > only got SugarCRM.

    Right to this point, but you need to access sytem administration. The
    Trixbox start page has a number of options in two groups - Asterisk and
    Applications. These options are:

    Voicemail & Recordings
    Web MeetMe Control
    Flash Operator Panel
    System Administration

    ApplicationsSurgar CRM

    Click on System Administration link in the Asterisk section and you'll
    be prompted for username and password. The username here is maint and
    the password is whatever you changed it to when you first installed.
    You then get a page with various options - FreePBX is usually the first
    option listed.

    > I have a copy of Freepbx 2.1.1 tar.gz on disk, how does it load?


    You don't need to install FreePBX separately. It is installed along
    with asterisk in the main installation from the CD.
     
    paul123, Aug 2, 2006
    #10
  11. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    "paul123" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Telephoneman wrote:
    > [snipped]
    >> On another matter (let me know if I'm trying your patience) How do I load
    >> FreePBX? The Nerdvittles info tells me that it will be on the main
    >> Trixbox
    >> page (accessed the the PC browser) but it's not under applications - I've
    >> only got SugarCRM.

    > Right to this point, but you need to access sytem administration. The
    > Trixbox start page has a number of options in two groups - Asterisk and
    > Applications. These options are:
    >
    > Voicemail & Recordings
    > Web MeetMe Control
    > Flash Operator Panel
    > System Administration
    >
    > ApplicationsSurgar CRM
    >
    > Click on System Administration link in the Asterisk section and you'll
    > be prompted for username and password. The username here is maint and
    > the password is whatever you changed it to when you first installed.
    > You then get a page with various options - FreePBX is usually the first
    > option listed.
    >
    >> I have a copy of Freepbx 2.1.1 tar.gz on disk, how does it load?

    >
    > You don't need to install FreePBX separately. It is installed along
    > with asterisk in the main installation from the CD.


    Thanks for that. I've got it now.

    This is one of several instances where the "Nerdvittles Newbies guide to
    Trixbox 1.1" doesn't match the reality. I might have half a chance with
    reliable documentation. Is there a better set-up guide that anyone knows?

    Liam
     
    Telephoneman, Aug 2, 2006
    #11
  12. Telephoneman

    Spex Guest

    Spex, Aug 2, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ted Rogers

    First foray into 10D high ISO setting

    Ted Rogers, Sep 24, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    482
    MarkH
    Sep 24, 2003
  2. cg
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    1,098
    Matthew L. Martin
    Sep 21, 2004
  3. Sean
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    11,033
    alben
    Sep 11, 2009
  4. Robert R Kircher, Jr.

    First Foray into Photoshop

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 6, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    51
    Views:
    1,008
    DD (Rox)
    Oct 14, 2005
  5. RichA

    Apple's foray into the "service/rental economy"

    RichA, Jun 3, 2014, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    59
    Views:
    630
    Whisky-dave
    Jun 17, 2014
Loading...

Share This Page