    Most of what I read on the net is utterly confusing on these topics .

    Microsoft's own site is senseless and confusing to me , and of course those
    places that offer teaching are less than forthcoming about self study ..
    barret bonden, Jul 12, 2006

  2. barret bonden

    Cerebrus Guest

    barret bonden wrote:
    > What's the first exam one should take ?

    Probably an MCSE can answer that better. This question was however
    recently asked in the MCSE ng. You might search it.

    > Can one just self study and then take the tests ? Where does one go to take
    > the exams this way ?

    Sure, you can do self-study. If you feel that is your way of
    preparation. Some people feel more comfy with instructor led courses.

    See this thread for some answers...
    <http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.certification/browse_thread/thread/97b72fa31c4c77f7/>

    > Microsoft's own site is senseless and confusing to me , and of course those
    > places that offer teaching are less than forthcoming about self study ..

    I never found the site "senseless". It does have a *lot* of
    information, that can get overwhelming at times, and it might be
    confusing because of the similarity in content.
    Cerebrus, Jul 13, 2006

  3. barret bonden

    Cerebrus Guest

    Cerebrus, Jul 13, 2006
  4. If you are looking at MCSE first look at 270... it is the XP OS exam,
    optionally you can do the OS exam for 2000, choice is yours. I personally
    chose to do MCDST, then 270, 290, 291 - this gives MCSA. Then I proceeded to
    do 293, 294, 298, 350, security +... this gave me MCSE - security... but for
    MCSE you have this choice:

    Operating System - XP or 2000 ---- choice is your's choose 1

    Core - 290, 291, 293, 294 ----- no choice unless you already have MCSE on
    2000, then u can do upgrade courses

    Electives - you need 2 more electives from the list provided on MS website

    So, in total to get a normal MCSE with no specialization, you need a total
    of 7 exams.

    Good luck.
    --
    Cheers,

    Dennis

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?=, Jul 13, 2006
  5. If you are looking at MCSE first look at 270... it is the XP OS exam,

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?=, Jul 13, 2006
  6. i started with A+, Net+, then 70-270, 290, 291, Security+, 293, 294, 298,
    299 i used books, measureup practice tests (as well as the ones in the
    books) and experience. Microsoft makes a good book and so does Sybex...
    ymmv though

    Scott

    MCSE: Security

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgTC4=?=, Jul 15, 2006
  7. i started with A+, Net+, then 70-270, 290, 291, Security+, 293, 294, 298,

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgTC4=?=, Jul 15, 2006