    It looks subsurface to me.
    Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
    http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298
    Rich, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Rich

    Irulan Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
    > rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
    > and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
    > development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
    > The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
    > to replace it.
    >
    > The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
    > It looks subsurface to me.
    > Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
    > http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

    Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
    Hope it's still available.

    --

    Irulan
    from the stars we come
    Irulan, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:37:57 -0500, "Irulan" <>
    wrote:

    >"Rich" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
    >> rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
    >> and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
    >> development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
    >> The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
    >> to replace it.
    >>
    >> The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
    >> It looks subsurface to me.
    >> Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
    >> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

    >Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
    >Hope it's still available.

    Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
    No answer yet.
    -Rich
    Rich, Mar 17, 2006
  4. "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:37:57 -0500, "Irulan" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Rich" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
    >>> rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
    >>> and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
    >>> development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
    >>> The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
    >>> to replace it.
    >>>
    >>> The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
    >>> It looks subsurface to me.
    >>> Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

    >>Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
    >>Hope it's still available.

    > Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
    > No answer yet.
    > -Rich

    Well, if they don't replace it, it seems as though this gives consumers a
    very good reason to demand the right to backup their discs - copyprotection
    to hell.
    Bernie Woodham, Mar 19, 2006
  5. Rich

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:13:37 -0500, Rich <> Gave us:

    >Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
    >rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
    >and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
    >development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
    >The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
    >to replace it.
    >
    >The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
    >It looks subsurface to me.
    >Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
    >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

    Two things. First, your image is fouled, and does not show the
    picture you took at all. Do you not even test your own web pages?

    Second, if the disc's optical read surface has ANY scratches on it AT
    ALL from where you have placed it on a surface or in a sleeve, it is
    your fault.

    RULE NUMBER ONE for optical disc storage mediums is that the read
    surface should NEVER be touched. That is regardless of the fact that
    they are generally forgiving of such handling. There are only two
    locations that are valid for an optical disc. In its storage
    container, and in the playback /reader device's loading tray.

    If ANY contact is made with the read surface and it becomes scratched
    or smudged, it IS operator error if it subsequently fails to read.

    That said, you need to re-snap the picture, and re-load it onto your
    web page.

    If you are in the habit of placing discs onto flat surfaces other
    than one of the two aforementioned locations, then you deserve
    everything you (DON'T) get.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 19, 2006
  6. Rich

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:42:52 -0500, Rich <> Gave us:

    >On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:37:57 -0500, "Irulan" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"Rich" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
    >>> rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
    >>> and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
    >>> development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
    >>> The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
    >>> to replace it.
    >>>
    >>> The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
    >>> It looks subsurface to me.
    >>> Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

    >>Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
    >>Hope it's still available.

    >Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
    >No answer yet.
    >-Rich

    Very unlikely they will without them being able to examine the disc
    first hand. If there is internal manufacturing related damage,
    they'll likely honor your request, if you make it in a diplomatic
    manner. If you have ANY scratches on the disc's read surface at all,
    they will likely tell you to take better care of your disc library,
    and alter your handling habits.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 19, 2006
  7. Rich

    James Guest

    "Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:13:37 -0500, Rich <> Gave us:
    >
    >>Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
    >>rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
    >>and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
    >>development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
    >>The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
    >>to replace it.
    >>
    >>The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
    >>It looks subsurface to me.
    >>Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
    >>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

    > Two things. First, your image is fouled, and does not show the
    > picture you took at all. Do you not even test your own web pages?
    >
    > Second, if the disc's optical read surface has ANY scratches on it AT
    > ALL from where you have placed it on a surface or in a sleeve, it is
    > your fault.
    >
    > RULE NUMBER ONE for optical disc storage mediums is that the read
    > surface should NEVER be touched. That is regardless of the fact that
    > they are generally forgiving of such handling. There are only two
    > locations that are valid for an optical disc. In its storage
    > container, and in the playback /reader device's loading tray.
    >
    > If ANY contact is made with the read surface and it becomes scratched
    > or smudged, it IS operator error if it subsequently fails to read.
    >
    > That said, you need to re-snap the picture, and re-load it onto your
    > web page.
    >
    > If you are in the habit of placing discs onto flat surfaces other
    > than one of the two aforementioned locations, then you deserve
    > everything you (DON'T) get.

    Way to have a go at someone who says it looks SUB-surface.
    James, Mar 19, 2006
  8. Rich

    Goro Guest

    Bernie Woodham wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:37:57 -0500, "Irulan" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>"Rich" <> wrote in message

    > >>Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
    > >>Hope it's still available.

    > > Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
    > > No answer yet.
    > > -Rich

    > Well, if they don't replace it, it seems as though this gives consumers a
    > very good reason to demand the right to backup their discs - copyprotection
    > to hell.

    "Why back up when replacements are available at affordable prices?"
    -RIAA

    ugh

    -goro-
    Goro, Mar 21, 2006
  9. Rich

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:44:35 -0000, "James"
    <> Gave us:

    >"Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:13:37 -0500, Rich <> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
    >>>rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
    >>>and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
    >>>development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
    >>>The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
    >>>to replace it.
    >>>
    >>>The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
    >>>It looks subsurface to me.
    >>>Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

    >> Two things. First, your image is fouled, and does not show the
    >> picture you took at all. Do you not even test your own web pages?
    >>
    >> Second, if the disc's optical read surface has ANY scratches on it AT
    >> ALL from where you have placed it on a surface or in a sleeve, it is
    >> your fault.
    >>
    >> RULE NUMBER ONE for optical disc storage mediums is that the read
    >> surface should NEVER be touched. That is regardless of the fact that
    >> they are generally forgiving of such handling. There are only two
    >> locations that are valid for an optical disc. In its storage
    >> container, and in the playback /reader device's loading tray.
    >>
    >> If ANY contact is made with the read surface and it becomes scratched
    >> or smudged, it IS operator error if it subsequently fails to read.
    >>
    >> That said, you need to re-snap the picture, and re-load it onto your
    >> web page.
    >>
    >> If you are in the habit of placing discs onto flat surfaces other
    >> than one of the two aforementioned locations, then you deserve
    >> everything you (DON'T) get.

    >Way to have a go at someone who says it looks SUB-surface.

    Note that the FIRST remark I posted was about how his image is not
    viewable. If I could see the photograph, perhaps I wouldn't have
    given the primer.

    Way to have a go at interpreting what you read. It is as plain as
    day... right before your eyes.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 21, 2006
  10. Rich

    Justin Guest

    Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:26:40 GMT]:
    > On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:44:35 -0000, "James"
    > <> Gave us:
    >

    >>"Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:13:37 -0500, Rich <> Gave us:

    >>> Two things. First, your image is fouled, and does not show the
    >>> picture you took at all. Do you not even test your own web pages?
    >>>
    >>> Second, if the disc's optical read surface has ANY scratches on it AT
    >>> ALL from where you have placed it on a surface or in a sleeve, it is
    >>> your fault.
    >>>
    >>> RULE NUMBER ONE for optical disc storage mediums is that the read
    >>> surface should NEVER be touched. That is regardless of the fact that
    >>> they are generally forgiving of such handling. There are only two
    >>> locations that are valid for an optical disc. In its storage
    >>> container, and in the playback /reader device's loading tray.
    >>>
    >>> If ANY contact is made with the read surface and it becomes scratched
    >>> or smudged, it IS operator error if it subsequently fails to read.
    >>>
    >>> That said, you need to re-snap the picture, and re-load it onto your
    >>> web page.
    >>>
    >>> If you are in the habit of placing discs onto flat surfaces other
    >>> than one of the two aforementioned locations, then you deserve
    >>> everything you (DON'T) get.

    >>Way to have a go at someone who says it looks SUB-surface.
    >>

    > Note that the FIRST remark I posted was about how his image is not
    > viewable. If I could see the photograph, perhaps I wouldn't have
    > given the primer.

    The image was a screenshot of what he was seeing on screen, I believe.
    Justin, Mar 21, 2006
  11. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:33:08 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:42:52 -0500, Rich <> Gave us:
    >
    >>On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:37:57 -0500, "Irulan" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Rich" <> wrote in message

    >>>Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
    >>>Hope it's still available.

    >>Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
    >>No answer yet.
    >>-Rich

    > Very unlikely they will without them being able to examine the disc
    >first hand. If there is internal manufacturing related damage,
    >they'll likely honor your request, if you make it in a diplomatic
    >manner. If you have ANY scratches on the disc's read surface at all,
    >they will likely tell you to take better care of your disc library,
    >and alter your handling habits.

    I don't scratch my DVD discs, none is ever scratched,
    I don't stack them horizontally on each other, no other
    discs of 900 that I know of have gone bad and the shot on
    pbase.com (which if you can't see, then FIX the settings
    in your browser) is a screen shot.
    -Rich
    Rich, Mar 21, 2006
  12. Rich

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:34:05 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:33:08 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:42:52 -0500, Rich <> Gave us:

    >>>Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
    >>>No answer yet.
    >>>-Rich

    >> Very unlikely they will without them being able to examine the disc
    >>first hand. If there is internal manufacturing related damage,
    >>they'll likely honor your request, if you make it in a diplomatic
    >>manner. If you have ANY scratches on the disc's read surface at all,
    >>they will likely tell you to take better care of your disc library,
    >>and alter your handling habits.

    >I don't scratch my DVD discs, none is ever scratched,
    >I don't stack them horizontally on each other, no other
    >discs of 900 that I know of have gone bad and the shot on
    >pbase.com (which if you can't see, then FIX the settings
    >in your browser) is a screen shot.
    >-Rich

    I checked my copy of "Trinity ...The Atomic Bomb Movie" and it's fine,
    but I have had about three or four DVDs go bad on me over the years,
    of all different lables. Yes DVD-rot DOES exist, and unfortunately I
    doubt after all this time that the distributor of that particular
    movie would offer an exchange. It's still in print so you could try.
    I will recommend other movies with a similar theme such as "The Atomic
    Bomb Collection" ( which includes "Trinity.." and two others.) Also
    the "America's Atomic Bomb Tests" series is great! :)

    ... Steve ..
    Steve, Mar 22, 2006
  13. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 04:22:47 -0500, Steve
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:34:05 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:33:08 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:42:52 -0500, Rich <> Gave us:

    >>> Very unlikely they will without them being able to examine the disc
    >>>first hand. If there is internal manufacturing related damage,
    >>>they'll likely honor your request, if you make it in a diplomatic
    >>>manner. If you have ANY scratches on the disc's read surface at all,
    >>>they will likely tell you to take better care of your disc library,
    >>>and alter your handling habits.

    >>I don't scratch my DVD discs, none is ever scratched,
    >>I don't stack them horizontally on each other, no other
    >>discs of 900 that I know of have gone bad and the shot on
    >>pbase.com (which if you can't see, then FIX the settings
    >>in your browser) is a screen shot.
    >>-Rich

    >I checked my copy of "Trinity ...The Atomic Bomb Movie" and it's fine,
    >but I have had about three or four DVDs go bad on me over the years,
    >of all different lables. Yes DVD-rot DOES exist, and unfortunately I
    >doubt after all this time that the distributor of that particular
    >movie would offer an exchange. It's still in print so you could try.
    >I will recommend other movies with a similar theme such as "The Atomic
    >Bomb Collection" ( which includes "Trinity.." and two others.) Also
    >the "America's Atomic Bomb Tests" series is great! :)
    >
    >.. Steve ..

    You get spoiled with the Trinity, Nukes in Space, etc, movies because
    Kuran cleaned up the footage so well. I've even downloaded some stuff
    about this subject off archive.org, but of course quality varies, but
    the history is intact.
    The people at the production co. said they'd replace it for me, so
    all is well. A manufacturing flaw was their diagnosis, which of
    course we knew.
    -Rich
    Rich, Mar 23, 2006
  14. Rich

    Osmo R Guest

    Goro wrote:

    > "Why back up when replacements are available at affordable prices?"
    > -RIAA

    Actually in this case that makes much sense. Backing up 900 disks costs
    several hundreds. Backing up is economical only if the failure rate is
    greater than the cost
    ratio between the blank media and the backed material. This applies
    only with
    large number of disks. WIth small numbers backing up can be beneficial
    as
    insurance.

    Osmo
    Osmo R, Mar 24, 2006
  15. Rich

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:33:07 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 04:22:47 -0500, Steve
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:34:05 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    >>I checked my copy of "Trinity ...The Atomic Bomb Movie" and it's fine,
    >>but I have had about three or four DVDs go bad on me over the years,
    >>of all different lables. It's still in print so you could try.
    >>

    >>.. Steve ..

    >You get spoiled with the Trinity, Nukes in Space, etc, movies because
    >Kuran cleaned up the footage so well. I've even downloaded some stuff
    >about this subject off archive.org, but of course quality varies, but
    >the history is intact.
    >The people at the production co. said they'd replace it for me, so
    >all is well. A manufacturing flaw was their diagnosis, which of
    >course we knew.
    >-Rich

    Hmm, I'll have to triple-check my copy if any had had a "manufacturing
    flaw." It wouldn't be limited to just a very few discs, particularly
    if the distributor autmatically acknowledges the problem that readily.

    ... Steve ..
    Steve, Mar 24, 2006
  16. Rich

    Tim V. Guest

    Rich <> wrote in news:b3sj121ecin3kkekkc44l7d7dansh5q10n@
    4ax.com:

    > Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
    > rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
    > and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
    > development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
    > The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
    > to replace it.
    >
    > The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
    > It looks subsurface to me.
    > Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
    > http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

    I've had a CD distintigrate inside my cdrom. It literally blew into a
    million pieces. It was disc #1 of 3, so I was able to get a replacement
    by getting product codes off the remaining cd's. Of course, my cdrom was
    useless afterwards. So many little pieces inside it that the open/close
    mechanism was jammed.

    --
    Tim.

    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
    liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    "Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
    reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
    Washington
    Tim V., Apr 4, 2006
  17. Rich

    Tim V. Guest

    "Goro" <> wrote in

    >> Well, if they don't replace it, it seems as though this gives
    >> consumers a very good reason to demand the right to backup their
    >> discs - copyprotection to hell.

    > "Why back up when replacements are available at affordable prices?"
    > -RIAA

    Affordable is very subjective. What's "affordable" to RIAA lawyers
    and others is not the same to minimum wage (or close) workers.

    Tim V., Apr 4, 2006
  18. Rich

    Tim V. Guest

    "Osmo R" <> wrote in

    > Goro wrote:
    >

    >> "Why back up when replacements are available at affordable prices?"
    >> -RIAA
    >>

    > Actually in this case that makes much sense. Backing up 900 disks
    > costs several hundreds. Backing up is economical only if the failure
    > rate is greater than the cost
    > ratio between the blank media and the backed material. This applies
    > only with
    > large number of disks. WIth small numbers backing up can be beneficial
    > as
    > insurance.

    Yes, good logic for the most part. It all depends on how mainstream the
    discs are and their cost. The overpriced Star Trek ($100+ per season
    for Voyager, etc) discs are good candidates for archiving whereas your
    bargain bin discs may not be.

    You can also look at it like: at $1 a blank disc, it is still somewhat
    cost effective to backup your $6 bargain bin movie. The question would
    more time related. In 5-10 years, what will the availability be of
    some of todays discs? With 900 discs, you wouldn't be backing them
    all at once. I doubt they were purchased all at once.

    Tim V., Apr 4, 2006
  19. Rich

    Tim V. Guest

    Rich <> wrote in

    > You get spoiled with the Trinity, Nukes in Space, etc, movies because
    > Kuran cleaned up the footage so well. I've even downloaded some stuff
    > about this subject off archive.org, but of course quality varies, but
    > the history is intact.
    > The people at the production co. said they'd replace it for me, so
    > all is well. A manufacturing flaw was their diagnosis, which of
    > course we knew.
    > -Rich

    Great to hear them backing their products!

    Tim V., Apr 4, 2006
  20. Rich

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Tim V. () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > You can also look at it like: at $1 a blank disc, it is still somewhat
    > cost effective to backup your $6 bargain bin movie.

    Or, at about $1.33/original disc, you can just put everything onto a hard
    drive and have all your DVDs instantly available, while the originals sit
    safely in their boxes.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Apr 4, 2006