First Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by R. Bair, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. R. Bair

    R. Bair Guest

    Hi...thanks for reading. I am considering a new digital camera
    purchase...this will be my first digital camera (or real camera for
    that matter). My budget is sub $500 with a 64-256 mb memory upgrade
    included. I am looking primarily at:

    Canon PowerShot S1 IS
    Canon G5
    Panasonic FZ10

    I am primarily interested for family use; i.e., lots of shots of my
    kids both inside and outside. And, my kids are normally in motion. I
    also want room to grow and robustness. I like the idea of the G5 with
    the low ambient illumination aid but the zoom seems weak. Is the 5
    megapixels enough where I could zoom up digitally (or in the PC) and
    still have good shots from say a distance of 200 feet? I can't see
    myself using a tripod so IS is a must for any high zooms (at least
    based on my reading). I like alot about the FZ10 but the proprietary
    battery and SD memory seems to be begging for issues in the future. I
    like the S1 except the 1.5 " LCD and only 3.2 megapixels. Any insight
    would be much appreciated. I'm leaning to the S1 based on it's more
    standard interface and AA batteries but that LCD has me concerned.
    I've also read some reviews that the AF in the S1 is a bit slow.

    Thanks,
    Rich

    R. Bair, Aug 9, 2004

  2. R. Bair

    Ian Stirling Guest

    R. Bair <> wrote:
    > Hi...thanks for reading. I am considering a new digital camera
    > purchase...this will be my first digital camera (or real camera for
    > that matter). My budget is sub $500 with a 64-256 mb memory upgrade
    > included. I am looking primarily at:

    <snip>
    > megapixels enough where I could zoom up digitally (or in the PC) and
    > still have good shots from say a distance of 200 feet? I can't see

    Digital zoom is basically just cropping the picture.
    It'll also be much more likely to show things like camera shake.
    If you want high resolution pictures, zoomed, you really want
    decent optical zoom.

    Ian Stirling, Aug 10, 2004

  3. R. Bair

    dwight Guest

    "R. Bair" <> wrote in message
    > Hi...thanks for reading. I am considering a new digital camera
    > purchase...this will be my first digital camera (or real camera for
    > that matter). My budget is sub $500 with a 64-256 mb memory upgrade
    > included. I am looking primarily at:
    >
    > Canon PowerShot S1 IS
    > Canon G5
    > Panasonic FZ10

    I bought the S1 for several reasons:

    10X optical zoom (forget digital)
    IS (I'll never go back)
    Fully auto or fully manual - your choice

    Having the 10X lens is a hoot, whether for scenic shots or football training
    camps. The IS means that I can take shots with longer shutter, even in dim
    lighting without flash. And being able to play with all of the various
    settings (without paying to process film that turns out badly) means that I
    can experiment all I want.

    It's a fine camera, and it all depends upon what you really want.

    dwight

    dwight, Aug 10, 2004