First customers now on 21CN network

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Sunil Sood, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. Sunil Sood

    Sunil Sood Guest

    or what BT were calling '21CN day'

    "BT made communications history today with the transfer of the first
    customer lines to its 21st Century Network (21CN), the world's most advanced
    next generation network. As planned, BT has started to move customers in the
    village of Wick, near Cardiff, to the next generation infrastructure. The
    upgrade, which took place without the need for an engineer visit, new
    telephone, or a new telephone number, is part of the first phase of the
    national roll-out of 21CN.

    21CN will bring a range of benefits to businesses and consumers over years
    to come. New voice, data, broadband and multimedia services will be
    delivered quicker and cheaper than before, including faster broadband. 21CN
    will also give customers more control over the way they use their services.

    The migration of the first customers to 21CN is a landmark event in BT's
    next generation network programme. To reach this important milestone BT has
    re-built around ten per cent of the UK's core national communications
    infrastructure, installed 21CN equipment at over 100 sites across the UK,
    and laid more than 2,300 kilometres of new fibre optic cable in South Wales.
    BT has also invested more than 1,500 man years in developing new IT systems
    to support the new network.

    Reaching this major milestone has also been the result of pan-industry
    collaboration through Consult21, a forum which provides a regular open
    platform for all communications providers to understand and influence BT's
    plans for 21CN. This includes the details of the roll-out programme, as it
    affects hundreds of communications providers across the UK.

    Paul Reynolds, chief executive of BT Wholesale and BT board sponsor for the
    21CN programme said, "Today marks a symbolic and momentous occasion for BT,
    the communications industry and for the UK as 21CN, over three years in the
    making, starts to become real for customers. Alexander Graham Bell made the
    first telephone call 130 years ago - we are also making history with the
    first live UK customer calls using a carrier class, all IP network. Years of
    research and development, network build and design, rigorous trials and
    testing, together with open collaboration with the communications industry
    have culminated in this historic moment. A network transformation on this
    scale has not been attempted anywhere else in the world - it's happening now
    in South Wales, and the rest of the UK will follow over the next few years."

    Following the first phase of customer migrations in Wick, customers in
    Cardiff, Bridgend and the Pontypridd area will be the next to have their
    voice and broadband services transferred to 21CN. By the end of summer 2007,
    around 350,000 customer lines in South Wales are expected to have been
    migrated to the new infrastructure.

    When complete, 21CN will deliver existing and new converged communications
    services to homes and businesses nationwide. BT believes that the underlying
    network and the new services it will create, including the first nationwide
    wholesale broadband service offering planned speeds of up to 24 Mbit/s, will
    make converged communications faster, more efficient and more cost effective
    than ever before."

    From
    http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid={90018709-f48e-409a-a1e4-9b49fd423335}

    Regards
    Sunil

    Sunil Sood, Nov 28, 2006

  2. Sunil Sood

    Copy Right Guest

    Copy Right, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Sunil Sood

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    On 29 Nov 2006, Copy Right < Þ @ Þ > wrote:

    >Instead of copying the lot off the website why not just post the link
    >and a few words of what it's about - surely that's enough?

    Where copyright of a "magazine" item is involved a precis of the item
    and a web link might be enough. However, for those who have no easy
    access to a browser, but read the newsgroup, or for those who later
    happen to read the newsgroup, and the web link fails (eg because of
    a reorganisation of all pages on the website, perhaps 5 years down
    the line) then having the article posted is a reasonable thing. If
    you don't want to download it, then your newsreader might be able to
    simply not download any post of 50+ lines, for example. This post,
    at well under 100 lines, is far from excessive, IMO, and whilst in
    some cases one would like the web link to be able to confirm that
    something posted is as is seen on the website, I for one, knowing
    that what Sunil posts is nearly always 100% correct, would prefer
    to be able to read the whole thing here (I didn't, but I've set my
    newsreader to keep anything posted by Sunil anyway, so it will be
    held on my HD for years, with posts from Phil Henry and others)
    rather than have to go off to some website (some of which 'force'
    their own 'musical' output on visitors) to get the full story.

    NoNeedToKnow, Nov 29, 2006
  4. Richard Oliver, Nov 29, 2006
  5. Sunil Sood

    Monty Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:07:21 +0000, NoNeedToKnow <> wrote:

    >I've set my
    >newsreader to keep anything posted by Sunil anyway, so it will be
    >held on my HD for years, with posts from Phil Henry and others)

    I think Sunil Sood and Phil Henry are one and the same robot.

    Monty, Nov 29, 2006
  6. Sunil Sood

    Spin Dryer Guest

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:27:21 -0000, [Sunil Sood] said :-

    >or what BT were calling '21CN day'
    >
    >"BT made communications history today with the transfer of the first
    >customer lines to its 21st Century Network (21CN), the world's most advanced
    >next generation network. As planned, BT has started to move customers in the
    >village of Wick, near Cardiff, to the next generation infrastructure. The
    >upgrade, which took place without the need for an engineer visit, new
    >telephone, or a new telephone number, is part of the first phase of the
    >national roll-out of 21CN.

    Anyone from Wick 'here' ?

    Anyone know the size of the transfer? Wick appears not to be a very
    large place, so just wondering.

    Spin Dryer, Nov 29, 2006
  7. Sunil Sood

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Richard Oliver writes
    >Copy Right wrote:
    >
    >> [snip massive copy]
    >>
    >>>From
    >>>http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid={900187
    >>>09-f48e-409a-a1e4-9b49fd423335%7d

    >> Instead of copying the lot off the website why not just post the
    >>link
    >> and a few words of what it's about - surely that's enough?

    >You are new here? Sunil provides very useful postings and I for one
    >like plenty of detail. I often read postings offline and can't
    >automatically link.

    As a casual reader, with casual interest, I found Sunil's post
    interesting. If he had posted as you suggest I probably wouldn't have
    bothered to go to the link.

    So, keep it up, Sunil, please.

    David

    David Floyd, Nov 29, 2006
  8. Sunil Sood

    jasper Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:55:09 +0000, Spin Dryer <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:27:21 -0000, [Sunil Sood] said :-
    >
    >>or what BT were calling '21CN day'
    >>
    >>"BT made communications history today with the transfer of the first
    >>customer lines to its 21st Century Network (21CN), the world's most advanced
    >>next generation network. As planned, BT has started to move customers in the
    >>village of Wick, near Cardiff, to the next generation infrastructure. The
    >>upgrade, which took place without the need for an engineer visit, new
    >>telephone, or a new telephone number, is part of the first phase of the
    >>national roll-out of 21CN.

    >Anyone from Wick 'here' ?
    >
    >Anyone know the size of the transfer? Wick appears not to be a very
    >large place, so just wondering.

    I'm from Wick but the last time I looked out of my window I was in
    Caithness and not in deepest Wales.........................

    jasper, Nov 29, 2006
  9. Sunil Sood

    Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:20:09 +0000, jasper
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:55:09 +0000, Spin Dryer <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:27:21 -0000, [Sunil Sood] said :-
    >>
    >>>or what BT were calling '21CN day'
    >>>
    >>>"BT made communications history today with the transfer of the first
    >>>customer lines to its 21st Century Network (21CN), the world's most advanced
    >>>next generation network. As planned, BT has started to move customers in the
    >>>village of Wick, near Cardiff, to the next generation infrastructure. The
    >>>upgrade, which took place without the need for an engineer visit, new
    >>>telephone, or a new telephone number, is part of the first phase of the
    >>>national roll-out of 21CN.

    >>Anyone from Wick 'here' ?
    >>
    >>Anyone know the size of the transfer? Wick appears not to be a very
    >>large place, so just wondering.
    >>

    >I'm from Wick but the last time I looked out of my window I was in
    >Caithness and not in deepest Wales.........................

    You maybe but there are more in the UK than yours in fact all the ones
    below ..........................
    Wick, Caithness
    KW1 (UK)
    West Wick
    Weston-Super-Mare, Avon
    BS24 (UK)
    Hampton Wick
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey
    KT1 4 (UK)
    Wick
    Bristol, Avon
    BS30 (UK)
    Eton Wick
    Windsor, Berkshire
    SL4 6 (UK)
    Wick
    Littlehampton, West Sussex
    BN17 (UK)
    Wick
    Salisbury, Wiltshire
    SP5 3 (UK)
    Wick
    Cowbridge, South Glamorgan

    , Nov 29, 2006
  10. Sunil Sood

    Stu Guest

    >>From
    >> http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid={90018709-f48e-409a-a1e4-9b49fd423335}

    > Instead of copying the lot off the website why not just post the link
    > and a few words of what it's about - surely that's enough?

    Instead of whining just don't read it but then of course you would have
    no excuse for posting.

    It reminds me of people who try to censor tv shows because they don't
    like the content but watch it anyway so they have something to complain
    about.

    Life is a wonderful thing, so go and use it!

    Stu, Nov 30, 2006
  11. <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:20:09 +0000, jasper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:55:09 +0000, Spin Dryer <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Anyone from Wick 'here' ?
    >>>
    >>>Anyone know the size of the transfer? Wick appears not to be a very
    >>>large place, so just wondering.
    >>>

    >>I'm from Wick but the last time I looked out of my window I was in
    >>Caithness and not in deepest Wales.........................

    > You maybe but there are more in the UK than yours in fact all the ones
    > below ..........................
    > Wick, Caithness
    > KW1 (UK)
    > West Wick
    > Weston-Super-Mare, Avon
    > BS24 (UK)
    > Hampton Wick
    > Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey
    > KT1 4 (UK)
    > Wick
    > Bristol, Avon
    > BS30 (UK)
    > Eton Wick
    > Windsor, Berkshire
    > SL4 6 (UK)
    > Wick
    > Littlehampton, West Sussex
    > BN17 (UK)
    > Wick
    > Salisbury, Wiltshire
    > SP5 3 (UK)
    > Wick
    > Cowbridge, South Glamorgan

    It's enough to get on your wick!

    Roger Matthews, Nov 30, 2006
  12. David Floyd <> writes:
    >Richard Oliver writes
    >>> Instead of copying the lot off the website why not just post the
    >>> link and a few words of what it's about - surely that's enough?

    >>You are new here? Sunil provides very useful postings and I for one
    >>like plenty of detail. I often read postings offline and can't
    >>automatically link.

    >As a casual reader, with casual interest, I found Sunil's post
    >interesting. If he had posted as you suggest I probably wouldn't have
    >bothered to go to the link.
    >
    >So, keep it up, Sunil, please.

    hear, hear.

    i can set my newsreader to a size that's convenient for me. i've just
    gone to the bt site and it's too small so that i had to spend time
    adjusting before i could read it.

    as a general rule, i don't go to commercial sites if i can avoid it.
    while bt's a lot less bloody stupid than it used to be, the droids who
    design web sites seem far too often to like flashing graphics -- which
    hurt my eyes and drive me away at first glance.
    --
    Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

    Robin Fairbairns, Nov 30, 2006
  13. Sunil Sood

    thoss Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 David Floyd wrote:

    >In message of Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Richard Oliver writes
    >>Copy Right wrote:
    >>
    >>> [snip massive copy]

    >>> Instead of copying the lot off the website why not just post the
    >>>link
    >>> and a few words of what it's about - surely that's enough?

    >>You are new here? Sunil provides very useful postings and I for one
    >>like plenty of detail. I often read postings offline and can't
    >>automatically link.
    >>

    >As a casual reader, with casual interest, I found Sunil's post
    >interesting. If he had posted as you suggest I probably wouldn't have
    >bothered to go to the link.
    >
    >So, keep it up, Sunil, please.

    My sentiments exactly.
    --
    Thoss

    thoss, Nov 30, 2006
  14. Sunil Sood

    Sunil Sood Guest

    "Monty" <> wrote in message
    > I think Sunil Sood and Phil Henry are one and the same robot.

    lol - I'm afraid not.. though I am wondering where Peter Morgan has got to..

    Regards
    Sunil

    Sunil Sood, Nov 30, 2006
  15. Sunil Sood

    Sunil Sood Guest

    "Spin Dryer" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know the size of the transfer? Wick appears not to be a very
    > large place, so just wondering.

    I believe the Wick telephone exchange is also very small and only serves
    about 450 premises though reports say that just over "100 consumers" were
    switched over - though BT managed to cram in 10 staff during the migration
    exercise. I believe these customers lost the ability to dial out for 2/3
    minutes and receive calls for upto half an hour as part of the migration
    process.

    The idea is to monitor these lines before migrating the remaining customers
    linked to the Wick exchange and then carry out a 'lessons learned' exercise
    before the next stage of the migration programme in the Cardiff area -
    scheduled for the end of February 2007.

    I note BT arranged a photo-op 'crediting' a 11 year old girl (Laura Wess,
    from Wick and Marcross Church in Wales Primary School) as making the first
    live telephone call over 21CN - to the Rt Rev John Davies, the Bishop of St
    Asaph in North Wales.

    Also, BT marked the occasion by donating a wireless mobile information
    technology suite with 16 laptops and curriculum software to the school.

    Regards
    Suniol

    Sunil Sood, Nov 30, 2006
  16. Sunil Sood

    Monty Guest

    Re: Suniol?

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:07:24 +0000, "Sunil Sood" <>
    wrote:

    >Suniol

    I don't think it's the best time of year for that. But do you have any thermal
    undies to sell?

    Monty, Nov 30, 2006
  17. Sunil Sood

    Simon Guest

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:20:27 -0000, Sunil Sood wrote:

    >... I am wondering where Peter Morgan has got to..

    Nymshifted. He's still here, the posting style is obvious, see if you can
    spot him.

    --
    Change spam.invalid to com to reply via e-mail

    Simon, Nov 30, 2006
  18. Sunil Sood

    David Taylor Guest

    David Taylor, Dec 1, 2006
  19. Sunil Sood

    Graham Guest

    "Sunil Sood" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > world - it's happening now in South Wales, and the rest of the UK will
    > follow over the next few years."
    >
    > Following the first phase of customer migrations in Wick, customers in
    > Cardiff, Bridgend and the Pontypridd area will be the next to have their
    > voice and broadband services transferred to 21CN. By the end of summer
    > 2007, around 350,000 customer lines in South Wales are expected to have
    > been migrated to the new infrastructure.
    >
    > When complete, 21CN will deliver existing and new converged communications
    > services to homes and businesses nationwide. BT believes that the
    > underlying network and the new services it will create, including the
    > first nationwide wholesale broadband service offering planned speeds of up
    > to 24 Mbit/s, will make converged communications faster, more efficient
    > and more cost effective than ever before."

    At least the gentle criticism has encouraged Sunil to contribute
    a follow up or two to a thread he OP'd.

    I suppose Sunil's news posts are in the true tradition of Usenet
    and somehow ukt* wouldn't be the same without them.
    So keep them coming Snuil.

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Dec 2, 2006
  20. Sunil Sood

    Monty Guest

    Re: Snuil?

    On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:09:44 -0000, "Graham" <> wrote:

    >I suppose Sunil's news posts are in the true tradition of Usenet
    >and somehow ukt* wouldn't be the same without them.
    >So keep them coming Snuil.

    Snuil? The man changes his name more often than a chameleon changes colour.

    uk.telecom has never recovered from the blow of first losing Peter G. Strangman
    followed later by Brian {Hamilton Kelly}. They were the real heros of this
    newsgroup. Sunil Henry and Phil Sood never yet reached the same level of
    character and wisdom as those two gents.

    Monty, Dec 3, 2006