First attempts with new Canon 30 D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Mike, Jul 4, 2006

  2. Mike

    Matt Ion Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Guys
    >
    > I took your advice and got me a new Canon 30D I received the camera on
    > Wednesday and today I spent a little time looking over a trumpet vine I have
    > in my backyard and was able to capture the photos in this gallery:-
    > http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=551933758&security=dhvkZq
    > Please would you be so kind as to give me your honest opinions of them
    > bearing in mind this is my first attempt with the new camera.

    Wow - pretty nice!

    What lens are you using? The bird would stand out a little better there
    with a slightly shallower depth of field (wider aperture), if
    available... I might have moved a bit to put blue sky behind him instead.

    Is there any post-processing done?
    Matt Ion, Jul 4, 2006

  3. Mike

    Bill K Guest

    --
    Very well done. You might try cropping in a little tighter but that's
    nitpicking. The colours are very nice. Maybe a little more depth of
    Bill K, Jul 4, 2006
  4. Mike

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Guys
    >
    > I took your advice and got me a new Canon 30D I received the camera on
    > Wednesday and today I spent a little time looking over a trumpet vine I
    > have
    > in my backyard and was able to capture the photos in this gallery:-
    > http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=551933758&security=dhvkZq
    > Please would you be so kind as to give me your honest opinions of them
    > bearing in mind this is my first attempt with the new camera.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike.

    Nothing like confusing the poor guy! One says less depth of field would be
    better, the other says it needs more depth of field.

    I think the flowers look great if the dumb bird didn't get in there! :)

    That's a great start. I think you've motivated me to go out tomorrow and
    get a 30D. Seriously!

    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Jul 5, 2006
  5. Mike

    Matt Ion Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:
    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Guys
    >>
    >>I took your advice and got me a new Canon 30D I received the camera on
    >>Wednesday and today I spent a little time looking over a trumpet vine I
    >>have
    >>in my backyard and was able to capture the photos in this gallery:-
    >>http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=551933758&security=dhvkZq
    >>Please would you be so kind as to give me your honest opinions of them
    >>bearing in mind this is my first attempt with the new camera.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Mike.
    >>

    > Nothing like confusing the poor guy! One says less depth of field would be
    > better, the other says it needs more depth of field.

    Heheh, well, it's subjective I guess... less DOF would blur the leaves
    behind the bird more into a smoother green backing, allowing the bird to
    stand out a bit more.

    > I think the flowers look great if the dumb bird didn't get in there! :)

    Yeah, where's my gun??

    > That's a great start. I think you've motivated me to go out tomorrow and
    > get a 30D. Seriously!

    I don't need the picture as motivation... I just need a Platinum Visa
    card that someone else gets the statements for.
    Matt Ion, Jul 5, 2006
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Matt

    I was using a Canon 75-300 mm zoom with a Kenko 2 times multiplier I did try
    to move after I took the photos you see byt she flew away I was about 20
    feet from her at the time I took the photos. On these photos I have done no
    processing only converted from Raw to Jpeg. I left them as they were so I
    could get critique on the picture and not on any processing that may have
    been done.

    Mike

    Mike, Jul 5, 2006
  7. Mike

    Matt Ion Guest

    Thanks for the update... yeah, great shots, I'm very impressed by the
    color and sharpness. I have an older EF 75-300 lens and I've never been
    too happy with its sharpness (or lack thereof)... thinking more and more
    that I just got one from a weak batch or something.

    Matt Ion, Jul 6, 2006