    test?

    Thanks

    Liz
    lizzieb, Jan 1, 2007

  2. lizzieb

    smackedass Guest

    This is just a guess, but could it be that the OS is/was attempting a power
    management activity that the BIOS, or the mobo, could not support? I would
    look into that, especially if it's an older computer.

    Error messages don't always tell the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the
    truth.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Jan 1, 2007

  3. On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:52:37 -0000
    "lizzieb" <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Have just tested a Dell computer that was making lots of hard drive noise
    > and running slow. I ran PC-Check on it and the hard drive failed the Read
    > test but also the test showed up "Firmware acpi tests - failed". Its is a
    > 80Gb sata drive. What does this mean? Would the two errors be related in
    > any way? If I just replace the hard drive would there still be a problem?
    > What would be the best way to get the machine to pass the Firmware acpi
    > test?

    ACPI relates to power management, you should see an entry in Event Viewer on
    startup that refers to the problem - usually fixable by BIOS upgrade, or just
    ignore in most cases. The hard drive, if faulty, is an unrelated problem, I
    believe, but rather more important (and costly? now where is that warranty
    receipt...).
    My best guess, anyways...
    Fred the Ferret, Jan 2, 2007
  4. lizzieb

    lizzieb Guest

    Thanks - I think I shall just ignore it for now. Everthing else is working
    great with the new hard drive.

    Liz

    lizzieb, Jan 11, 2007