    technical support. What step-by-step procedure will permit me to
    replace the present program with a different one and will not expose my
    machine to access from outside? Thanks, much.

    Maybe, Feb 26, 2006

  2. Maybe

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:28:31 GMT, Maybe wrote:

    You will be talking about eTrust EZAntiVirus from CA and not something
    similar?

    >My anti-virus program resists updating and will not provide online

    So no error codes / messages? You give nothing to go on.

    It's not unknown for the server to be unavailable, try agan with a
    manual update later.

    You have followed the steps of the built in troubleshooter.

    Your subscription hasn't run out.

    You could reinstall the same version of the app again then see if the
    update works.

    Maybe you can d/l the update manually and install them locally.

    You may even also check your firewall is allowing the update part of the
    app , port 80 to be allowed.

    >technical support. What step-by-step procedure will permit me to

    What is with step-by-step this week? Every PC / user is different and
    the exact problem isn't known. Try some general obvious steps like those
    above first.

    >replace the present program with a different one and will not expose my
    >machine to access from outside? Thanks, much.

    Me

    why?, Feb 26, 2006

  3. Maybe wrote:

    > My anti-virus program resists updating and will not provide online
    > technical support. What step-by-step procedure will permit me to
    > replace the present program with a different one

    Chances are that EZ (in your subject line) has an uninstall routine. If
    not, you can probably find it in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

    To replace it, why not try Avast!. It's free.
    The incremental updates are very small downloads, unlike many other a-v
    programs where megabytes are downloaded every day.
    It's skinnable, too. Change the appearance:

    You do need to register it (for free) and that is good for 14 months,
    after which you simply reregister.

    > and will not expose my machine to access from outside? Thanks, much.

    Unlike an a-v program, a firewall will block access from the "outside"

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 26, 2006
  4. Maybe

    FingAZ Guest

    Maybe wrote:
    > My anti-virus program resists updating and will not provide online
    > technical support. What step-by-step procedure will permit me to
    > replace the present program with a different one and will not expose my
    > machine to access from outside? Thanks, much.

    Surely its as simple as opening Control Panel, going to Add/Remove
    Programs, removing eZ AV, then installing another one? If you're
    looking for a free one, try Avast from www.avast.com; or Norton if you
    are willing to pay a bit.

    Make sure you download the antivirus software you want to install next
    before uninstalling your current one; then uninstall your current one,
    disconnect your internet; and install the new one.
    Connect to the internet again, anbd update the definitions for the new
    AV suite.

    Hope this helps,
    Darren.

    FingAZ, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Maybe

    dadiOH Guest

    Maybe wrote:
    > My anti-virus program resists updating and will not provide online
    > technical support. What step-by-step procedure will permit me to
    > replace the present program with a different one and will not expose
    > my machine to access from outside? Thanks, much.

    1. Obtain new program.

    2. Physically disconnect from internet (unplug phone line/DSL
    modem/whatever)

    3. Dump old program

    4. Install new program

    5. Reconnect internet connection.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Feb 26, 2006
  6. Maybe

    James Shortz Guest

    "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    > My anti-virus program resists updating and will not provide online
    > technical support. What step-by-step procedure will permit me to
    > replace the present program with a different one and will not expose my
    > machine to access from outside? Thanks, much.

    I've used eztrust for many years but this will be the last year. It
    frequently "resists updating", will suddenly stop providing real time
    protection and on-line tech support is a joke. When I went to re-install the
    program after a re-format the company charged me to re-down load the program
    even though I had a current subscription. I learned to keep a copy of the
    program on disc and have to re-install it about once a month when it
    inexplicably quits working. It's provided me good service but has been a
    nightmare lately. I would advise you to uninstall the CA program from
    control panel/add-remove programs and find something else. That's what I'll
    be doing in April when my subscription runs out. I use version 7.0.6.7. It's
    probably a good idea to DL your replacement before removing CA to minimize
    unprotected exposure.

    James Shortz, Feb 26, 2006
  7. Maybe

    Maybe Guest

    Maybe wrote:
    > My anti-virus program resists updating and will not provide online
    > technical support. What step-by-step procedure will permit me to
    > replace the present program with a different one and will not expose my
    > machine to access from outside? Thanks, much.

    Thanks to you all for the down-to-earth suggestions. Procedure should
    have been obvious but confidence feels so-o-o-o-o good.

    Maybe, Feb 27, 2006