    greatly appreciated!

    Thanks Opium

    , Jan 26, 2006

  2. Steve Davies Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    ___Today is Australia Day and will be the first time I have got the chance
    ___to "shoot" some fireworks. Is there any golden rules when taking photos
    ___of such things? I know the basics and maybe abit more than I think I
    ___do. Today is a clear,cloud free day and where I am going to be
    ___positioned will be over looking water. What ever tips I can get will be
    ___greatly appreciated!
    ___
    ___Thanks Opium

    I think a lot of us will be trying this tonight.
    Probably a case of trial and error.

    Now where is my tripod.

    Happy shooting

    Steve

    Steve Davies, Jan 26, 2006

  3. wrote:
    : Today is Australia Day and will be the first time I have got the chance
    : to "shoot" some fireworks. Is there any golden rules when taking photos
    : of such things? I know the basics and maybe abit more than I think I
    : do. Today is a clear,cloud free day and where I am going to be
    : positioned will be over looking water. What ever tips I can get will be
    : greatly appreciated!

    : Thanks Opium

    My favorite trick is to use the Bulb setting, a tripod and a remote
    shutter release. I then point the camera where the fireworks will be, and
    hold the shutter open for several bursts. The resultant image will provide
    a sky full of bursts. And things like "roman candle" shots capture the
    entire path of the shell instead of just where the ball of sparkle is at
    the one moment. :) The problem is that the brightness of the sparkles is
    only controlled by the aperture (since the shutter spead is variable) and
    so it may take a few test shots to adjust things so that the fireworks are
    not overly burned out or colored sparks are not too dim. I just start at
    f16 and then adjust as needed over the first few shots so that by the time
    a "show stopper" or "grand finale" come along the images will likely be at
    their best. Unfortunately each show will require different settings with
    such variables as what types of fireworks, where you are in relation to
    the bursts, atmospheric and "light polution", each of which can effect the
    resultant image. Good luck.

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Jan 26, 2006
  4. Pat Guest

    Always nice to take the family. Play around a little. If you shoot
    with a balanced fill-flash, you can get nice pictures of the family in
    the foreground and the fireworks in the background. You need to play a
    bit to get the lighting right and to get enough DOF.

    Pat, Jan 26, 2006