    So that I could take pics of fireworks.
    I have a tripod.
    Thanks for any info.

    jsmith, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Phil Stripling, Dec 30, 2004

  3. jsmith

    Pete D Guest

    Use the tripod. Turn off the flash.

    Don't close your apperture down all the way, F11 should work.
    Shutter, 8-10 seconds should grab the action, if you do not have a remote
    release you will probably need to use the timer shutter release and that can
    be a bit hit and miss.
    ISO, low is best 100 or better if you have it, my D-SLR only goes down to
    200 but I live with that but closing the apperture a little.

    Above all, experiment, these settings will be a good starting point.

    Pete D, Dec 30, 2004
  4. jsmith

    Ben Thomas Guest

    jsmith wrote:
    > I have a Kodak DX 6490 4mp and I was wondering if anybody could recommend
    > some settings (shutter speed, f/stop, ISO etc..) for this or similar
    > cameras.
    > So that I could take pics of fireworks.
    > I have a tripod.
    > Thanks for any info.

    I would go with a small aperture to ensure a large depth of field, and also a
    fairly slow shutter speed so you can see the trails of the fireworks and also a
    bit of background scenery. That may mean you need 1/10s shutter speed and f/5.6.
    I don't bother to use anything other than ISO 80 on my DX6490 because the shots
    are simply too noisy otherwise.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Dec 30, 2004
  5. jsmith

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > Use the tripod. Turn off the flash.
    >
    > Don't close your apperture down all the way, F11 should work.

    The DX6490 has a minimum aperture of f/8.

    > Shutter, 8-10 seconds should grab the action, if you do not have a remote
    > release you will probably need to use the timer shutter release and that can
    > be a bit hit and miss.

    The DX6490 doesn't have remote, but does have a timer release.

    > ISO, low is best 100 or better if you have it, my D-SLR only goes down to
    > 200 but I live with that but closing the apperture a little.

    DX6490 goes down to 80.

    Ben Thomas, Dec 30, 2004
  6. > I would go with a small aperture to ensure a large depth of field, and
    > also a fairly slow shutter speed so you can see the trails of the
    > fireworks and also a bit of background scenery. That may mean you need
    > 1/10s shutter speed and f/5.6. I don't bother to use anything other than
    > ISO 80 on my DX6490 because the shots are simply too noisy otherwise.

    5.6 is a large aperture with low depth of field (contradicts first line).
    1/10 sec will be very difficult to capture trails and a whole firework, let
    alone several.

    The duration required will depend on the shot you want and the number of
    fireworks going up, how spread out they are, ambient light etc. Generally
    I'd open the shutter wait for a few good fireworks spread out and close it -
    this may be 5 sec or 30 sec. Too many fw in the same spot will be messy,
    too few a little boring, so you have to visualise and remember where
    previous ones went off as you shoot and decide 'when it's time'.

    Aperture - best to try and use a couple of stops down from maximum to use
    the sharpest range of your lens, but if you want a sharp foreground object
    or there is a lot of ambient light (fireworks off clouds for instance) then
    you might want to stop down further.

    Tripod and cable/remote of course... low ISO and noise reduction for long
    exposures if you have it. Probably best fw colour on daylight balance?
    Auto may take too much of the colour out... Shoot wider than you first
    expect, they can be hard to place sometimes!

    Cheers, Jason
    Folio: www.gadgetaus.com/photos

    The Gadget Shop, Dec 30, 2004
  7. jsmith

    Guest

    Ben Thomas wrote:

    >> So that I could take pics of fireworks.
    >> I have a tripod.
    >> Thanks for any info.

    > I would go with a small aperture to ensure a large depth of field,

    ??? The fireworks effectively at infinity for the wide-angle lenses one
    typically uses.

    > That may mean you need 1/10s shutter speed and f/5.6.

    ??? 1/10th? Start at 3 or 5 seconds, expect 10 or 20 seconds at times.

    The key to good fireworks imagery is visualization, anticipation, and a
    cable release. If the display is "structured", you can expect
    repetition. If it's just a bunch of random stuff, you need alot more
    luck.

    > Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    > Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    > Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    > Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    I guess it sucks to be you, eh, because I have a Canon EF 500/4 IS lens
    which trumps all your digital tinsel. Just today I filled a card with
    pictures of a Great Gray Owl (Strix nebulosa). Nyah nyah nyah.

    > Disclaimer:
    > Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do

    not
    > relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as

    neither
    > given nor endorsed by it.

    Your disclaimer lacks a clearly specified proof-process. How is one to
    tell whether or not the "opinions, conclusions, and other information"
    in your "message" actually "relates" to the so-called "official
    business" of your unspecified "employer"? I suggest you get in contact
    with your corporate lawyer -- they love this sort of thing almost as
    much as tax law -- and he or she will be able to recommend another 10
    paragraphs of dense, unreadable, but logically impenetrable language
    for you to append to all your postings.

    , Dec 30, 2004
  8. jsmith

    Ben Thomas Guest

    The Gadget Shop wrote:
    >>I would go with a small aperture to ensure a large depth of field, and
    >>also a fairly slow shutter speed so you can see the trails of the
    >>fireworks and also a bit of background scenery. That may mean you need
    >>1/10s shutter speed and f/5.6. I don't bother to use anything other than
    >>ISO 80 on my DX6490 because the shots are simply too noisy otherwise.

    > 5.6 is a large aperture with low depth of field (contradicts first line).

    On a Kodak DX6490 (the OP's camera) f/5.6 results in a fairly big depth of
    field. f/8 is the smallest.

    Regarding the terminology. The hole will be smaller at f/8 than f/2.8 right? So
    the number below the line may be bigger, but the aperture is smaller? No?

    > 1/10 sec will be very difficult to capture trails and a whole firework, let
    > alone several.

    Fair enough.

    > The duration required will depend on the shot you want and the number of
    > fireworks going up, how spread out they are, ambient light etc. Generally
    > I'd open the shutter wait for a few good fireworks spread out and close it -
    > this may be 5 sec or 30 sec. Too many fw in the same spot will be messy,
    > too few a little boring, so you have to visualise and remember where
    > previous ones went off as you shoot and decide 'when it's time'.

    I think the longest shutter on the Kodak DX6490 is 16 seconds.

    > Aperture - best to try and use a couple of stops down from maximum to use
    > the sharpest range of your lens, but if you want a sharp foreground object
    > or there is a lot of ambient light (fireworks off clouds for instance) then
    > you might want to stop down further.

    That would be about f/5.6. Considering the maximum (using your terminology) is f/8.

    Ben Thomas, Dec 30, 2004
  9. jsmith

    Ben Thomas Guest

    wrote:
    > Ben Thomas wrote:
    >

    >>>So that I could take pics of fireworks.
    >>>I have a tripod.
    >>>Thanks for any info.

    >>I would go with a small aperture to ensure a large depth of field,

    > ??? The fireworks effectively at infinity for the wide-angle lenses one
    > typically uses.

    The Kodak DX6490 could still stuff it up. Even when set at infinity focus you
    can hear it moving the lens around trying to focus on the subject. That is the
    basis for my suggestions.

    >>Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    >>Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    >>Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    >>Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    > I guess it sucks to be you, eh, because I have a Canon EF 500/4 IS lens
    > which trumps all your digital tinsel. Just today I filled a card with
    > pictures of a Great Gray Owl (Strix nebulosa). Nyah nyah nyah.

    I could have one of those instead of some of the HT gear. I'll be adding a
    Pentax *ist DS to that list soon, but the lens will still be nowhere near as
    good as your EF.

    >>Disclaimer:
    >>Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do

    > not
    >
    >>relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as

    > neither
    >
    >>given nor endorsed by it.

    > Your disclaimer lacks a clearly specified proof-process. How is one to
    > tell whether or not the "opinions, conclusions, and other information"
    > in your "message" actually "relates" to the so-called "official
    > business" of your unspecified "employer"? I suggest you get in contact
    > with your corporate lawyer -- they love this sort of thing almost as
    > much as tax law -- and he or she will be able to recommend another 10
    > paragraphs of dense, unreadable, but logically impenetrable language
    > for you to append to all your postings.

    Perhaps it should simply say, "opinions, conclusions, and other information in
    this message are not given nor endorsed by my employer".

    I have to put it there because the boss told me to.

    Ben Thomas, Dec 30, 2004
  10. jsmith

    Pete D Guest

    "Ben Thomas" <> wrote in message
    > Pete D wrote:
    >> Use the tripod. Turn off the flash.
    >>
    >> Don't close your apperture down all the way, F11 should work.

    > The DX6490 has a minimum aperture of f/8.

    Bad luck but it will have to do.

    >> Shutter, 8-10 seconds should grab the action, if you do not have a remote
    >> release you will probably need to use the timer shutter release and that
    >> can be a bit hit and miss.

    > The DX6490 doesn't have remote, but does have a timer release.

    Yes!

    >> ISO, low is best 100 or better if you have it, my D-SLR only goes down to
    >> 200 but I live with that but closing the apperture a little.

    > DX6490 goes down to 80.

    According to Kodak it goes down to 100, do your best anyway, these are the
    starting guide only, photography is always an experiment.

    Cheers.

    Pete D, Dec 31, 2004
  11. jsmith

    ZONED! Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:40:02 GMT, Ben Thomas <>
    wrote:

    >The Kodak DX6490 could still stuff it up. Even when set at infinity focus you
    >can hear it moving the lens around trying to focus on the subject. That is the
    >basis for my suggestions.

    not familiar with that camera but I would recommend that focus be
    pre-set and set to manual

    ZONED!, Dec 31, 2004
  12. jsmith

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings JSmith,

    Sure, in fact Kodak has set aside some specific information just about
    Fireworks. More than likely you wanted this for New Years Eve, so sorry I
    was not around to see this post. Hopefully this information will be of help
    to you in the future as well as with the many other references and tips that
    are offered. You will also find a great deal about all kinds of
    photographic tips and techniques there. It is an excellent resource. You
    are going to enjoy the the camera and your results. Try going to the Kodak
    home page and clicking on the link 'Taking Great Pictures' which will take
    you to a new page of many references. On that page is a link to 'Holidays
    and Events.' Fireworks will be found there. Have a good time, JS, and let
    me know if you have any questions in the future.

    http://www.kodak.com

    Talk to you soon JSmith,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jan 4, 2005
  13. jsmith

    ZONED! Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:46:48 -0500, "Ron Baird" <>
    wrote:

    >Greetings JSmith,
    >
    >Sure, in fact Kodak has set aside some specific information just about
    >Fireworks. More than likely you wanted this for New Years Eve, so sorry I
    >was not around to see this post. Hopefully this information will be of help
    >to you in the future as well as with the many other references and tips that
    >are offered. You will also find a great deal about all kinds of
    >photographic tips and techniques there. It is an excellent resource. You
    >are going to enjoy the the camera and your results. Try going to the Kodak
    >home page and clicking on the link 'Taking Great Pictures' which will take
    >you to a new page of many references. On that page is a link to 'Holidays
    >and Events.' Fireworks will be found there. Have a good time, JS, and let
    >me know if you have any questions in the future.
    >
    >http://www.kodak.com
    >
    >Talk to you soon JSmith,
    >
    >Ron Baird
    >Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron,

    Before answering did you have the common decency to read the entire
    thread and look at the URLs posted? If not, why not try it now?
    If so, why did you post/spam those pathetic tips? "Excellent
    resource"? That IMHO is pathetic abuse of the term excellent. "Hold
    the camera steady"? (Mentioned twice before "or use a tripod"). I love
    the "take lots of pictures" advice from a company that sells film LOL!
    BTW did you notice what NG this is? Sorry, but it just struck me as a
    worthless link in a thinly veiled spam attempt. There is no
    information of any value that I could glean from the site that wasn't
    already correctly addressed in prior posts.

    ZONED!, Jan 4, 2005
  14. jsmith

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Zoned,

    Sorry if I offended you with that post. Not intended, of course. From your
    post, I assumed you wanted some help with that subject, so I included that
    information to you, that is my goal. I do not spam the group, and do not
    post unless there is a specific post asking for information or help. I am
    sure you are an excellent and informed photographer, JS, and since you had
    the DX6490 thought I would share with you.

    If you need specific settings I could provide whatever you need that relates
    to your camera. With your camera you have the option of shutter settings
    from 16 seconds to 1/1700 sec and an aperture of f/2.8 - 8.0 (wide); f3.7 -
    8.0 (tele). Considering your options, for fireworks I suggest settings your
    camera aperture to F/8, the ISO to 100, and the shutter to 16. This will
    likely get you more than one burst. Set the zoom to wide angle. After the
    first couple of shots, review them on the LCD to see if they are close to
    what you want. You can use a shorter shutter speed (4 - 8 seconds),
    especially if you are shooting from a location with ambient light, i.e. a
    street environment. Just time the shutter release to be sure you capture the
    burst.

    There are a lot of other sites on the web that will tell you much more about
    fireworks, JS, as well as many other subjects. Sorry I misqueued your
    question.

    I am here for you if you need anything in the future.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company
    ************************

    Ron Baird, Jan 6, 2005
  15. jsmith

    ZONED! Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:05:23 -0500, "Ron Baird" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Zoned,
    >
    >Sorry if I offended you with that post. Not intended, of course.

    I apologize for being so short with you in my reply. I just thought
    the previously posted hints were more useful for someone who
    photographs fireworks. It is a bit difficult to get a good (I am a
    licensed pyro AND a photographer, so my definition of good, in this
    instance, is set at an unusually high standard.) shot of fireworks.

    > From your post, I assumed you wanted some help with that subject,

    My post? Nope, I simply said that I was not familiar with that camera
    and suggested manual focus over auto, if at all possible.

    ZONED!, Jan 6, 2005
  16. jsmith

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Ron Baird wrote:
    > Hi Zoned,
    >
    > Sorry if I offended you with that post. Not intended, of course. From your
    > post, I assumed you wanted some help with that subject, so I included that
    > information to you, that is my goal. I do not spam the group, and do not
    > post unless there is a specific post asking for information or help. I am
    > sure you are an excellent and informed photographer, JS, and since you had
    > the DX6490 thought I would share with you.
    >
    > If you need specific settings I could provide whatever you need that relates
    > to your camera. With your camera you have the option of shutter settings
    > from 16 seconds to 1/1700 sec and an aperture of f/2.8 - 8.0 (wide); f3.7 -
    > 8.0 (tele). Considering your options, for fireworks I suggest settings your
    > camera aperture to F/8, the ISO to 100, and the shutter to 16. This will
    > likely get you more than one burst. Set the zoom to wide angle. After the
    > first couple of shots, review them on the LCD to see if they are close to
    > what you want. You can use a shorter shutter speed (4 - 8 seconds),
    > especially if you are shooting from a location with ambient light, i.e. a
    > street environment. Just time the shutter release to be sure you capture the
    > burst.

    Why is the minimum shutter speed (1/1700) not available in the shutter and
    priority manual modes? 1/1000 is the minimum. 1/1700 is possible in aperture
    priority mode and auto though.

    Ben Thomas, Jan 6, 2005
  17. jsmith

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Ben,

    Only relating the capacity of the camera. Since the shutter and aperture
    are set and actuated together, the fastest combination is 1/1700 of a
    second. For the shots in this situation, it is best to use the 16 seconds
    or possibly the 8 or 4 second settings.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company