    like to keep it cheap and I'd like to trigger the camera remotely. Can
    anyone suggest some older digital cameras that might fit the bill?

    Allen
    arpad, Jun 25, 2008

  2. arpad

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:22:47 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

    >> I'm looking for some advice on digital photography of fireworks. I'd
    >> like to keep it cheap and I'd like to trigger the camera remotely. Can
    >> anyone suggest some older digital cameras that might fit the bill?

    > Why remotely?
    >
    > IAE, each year about this time this question is posted and info and
    > misinfo exchanged. You could Google the archives of this very NG
    > to get a head start.

    It allows the use of cheaper, less expensive tripods. Otherwise,
    smooth arcs can get the 'wigglies'. Not that they don't sometimes
    make interesting shots. This effect can really be accentuated by
    shooting handheld! :)
    ASAAR, Jun 25, 2008

  3. arpad

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:21:07 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

    >> It allows the use of cheaper, less expensive tripods. Otherwise,
    >> smooth arcs can get the 'wigglies'. Not that they don't sometimes
    >> make interesting shots. This effect can really be accentuated by
    >> shooting handheld! :)
    >>

    > Yes, that's the conventional wisdom, but unless one is stabbing at the
    > shutter, or breathing heavily, or is palsied, I've not found that a
    > careful pressing of the shutter while camera is mounted on a decent- or
    > even poor- tripod introduces any movement. Then again, my main lenses
    > have VR.

    Perhaps. I can't say for sure how carefully I pressed the shutter
    yesterday (while testing several cameras/lenses), but one shot went
    off without the expected time delay. I don't recall "stabbing" the
    shutter, but since I was using a cheap Sunpak tripod that was on
    hand instead of my usual Manfrotto, I decided to immediately re-do
    the shot using the self timer. The shot taken without using the
    self-timer (it used a 3 second exposure) had a very obvious double
    image caused by camera movement. VR helps quite a bit, but using a
    tripod with VR disabled usually produces much better images than
    shooting handheld with VR turned on, except when using exceptionally
    fast shutter speeds.

    I think that I'll try to pick up the Manfrotto tripod some time
    next week to see whether the double image can be easily duplicated
    when the self timer isn't used. As bad as the Sunpak is, it beats
    handheld shots by a wide margin if the exposures are long enough.
    ASAAR, Jun 26, 2008
  4. arpad

    Scott W Guest

    On Jun 25, 11:21 am, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > ASAAR wrote:

    > >> Why remotely?

    > >> IAE, each year about this time this question is posted and info and
    > >> misinfo exchanged. You could Google the archives of this very NG
    > >> to get a head start.

    > >   It allows the use of cheaper, less expensive tripods.  Otherwise,
    > > smooth arcs can get the 'wigglies'.  Not that they don't sometimes
    > > make interesting shots.  This effect can really be accentuated by
    > > shooting handheld!  :)

    > Yes, that's the conventional wisdom, but unless one is stabbing at the
    > shutter, or breathing heavily, or is palsied, I've not found that a
    > careful pressing of the shutter while camera is mounted on a decent- or
    > even poor- tripod introduces any movement. Then again, my main lenses
    > have VR.
    >
    > --
    > john mcwilliams

    I have had that problem using a pretty good tripod, a cable release is
    the way to go IMO.

    Scott
    Scott W, Jun 26, 2008
  5. Scott W <> wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 11:21?am, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >> ASAAR wrote:

    >> > ? It allows the use of cheaper, less expensive tripods. ?Otherwise,
    >> > smooth arcs can get the 'wigglies'. ?Not that they don't sometimes
    >> > make interesting shots. ?This effect can really be accentuated by
    >> > shooting handheld! ?:)

    >> Yes, that's the conventional wisdom, but unless one is stabbing at the
    >> shutter, or breathing heavily, or is palsied, I've not found that a
    >> careful pressing of the shutter while camera is mounted on a decent- or
    >> even poor- tripod introduces any movement. Then again, my main lenses
    >> have VR.

    > I have had that problem using a pretty good tripod, a cable release is
    > the way to go IMO.

    If you're using a long enough lens and a big enough display/print
    within a certain range of exposure times you can see the blur
    introduced by mirror vibration. A very good tripod will reduce the
    range of exposure times over which this mirror slap vibration blurs
    the image, but doesn't remove it.

    Unless you're using an optical laboratory's granite tripod of course
    :)

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Jun 26, 2008
  6. arpad

    arpad Guest

    On Jun 24, 9:22 pm, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > arpad wrote:
    > > I'm looking for some advice on digital photography of fireworks. I'd
    > > like to keep it cheap and I'd like to trigger the camera remotely. Can
    > > anyone suggest some older digital cameras that might fit the bill?

    > Why remotely?

    I was trying to keep things simple.

    I'd like to do stereo photography of fireworks using digital cameras.
    Since cost is definitely an object I'd like to start with a single
    camera. Once I'm assured that I've got the camera that'll do the job
    I'll get a second, identical camera. To do stereo I've got to be able
    to synchronize the cameras. Hence the requirement for remote trigger
    capability.

    I'm not entirely averse to hacking into a camera to enable me to
    remotely trigger but I'd prefer not too.

    > IAE, each year about this time this question is posted and info and
    > misinfo exchanged. You could Google the archives of this very NG to get
    > a head start.

    I've done some digging although not in this newsgroup. I'll do that.

    Allen
    arpad, Jun 26, 2008
  7. arpad

    Jeff R. Guest