    Tom Guest

    Is Firewire working under x64? I have a video camera plugged in but no
    signal seems to be detected.

    Tom, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Tom

    Rick Guest

    Ask Andre. He seems to have the answers for any, and all, situations!

    Rick, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Is Firewire working under x64? I have a video camera plugged in but no
    > signal seems to be detected.

    Ooops. Nevermind. Malfunctioning camera, not Windows.

    Tom, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Tom

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Rick:
    I haven't seen a correct resolution yet from you, SO WHY flame somebody for
    making an error.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Oh, yeah!
    Firewire is working allright.
    I've got a BIOSTAR K8NHA Pro mobo with VIA VT620 chip on board for firewire.
    WinXP x64 has its own drivers.
    I plugged my JVC Video camera (digital camera, records on digital tape
    cassette) and the camera was "seen" immediately.
    Regards.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Jud Hendrix had posted some information concerning Windows XP and Firewire
    and suspect the sam goes for x64 edition too:
    Windows XP SP1 did not support FireWire800 (1394b). Nevertheless, it
    worked, although the full performance of FireWire 800 wasn't achieved
    in some cases. With the release of Service Pack 2, Microsoft decided
    to no longer 'ignore' FireWire 800, but to treat it correctly
    according to the current OHCI specifications (Open Host Controller
    Interface). For Microsoft, at this time 'correctly' means switching to
    the slowest transfer mode S100, equalling 100 Mbit per second, for
    reasons of safety and compatibility.

    Microsoft quotes unclear OHCI specifications as the reason for this
    slow down. Indeed OHCI does not clearly define 1394b. Current FireWire
    800 chips send a 2-bit speed code of 0x3 (instead of 0x2 = S400) in
    the Self-ID-Packet 0. But OHCI only knows this code as 'reserved'. At
    a second glance, however, it becomes obvious that Microsoft have
    simply not looked closely enough, because there are additional
    Self-ID-Packets being sent. Self-ID-packet 8 correctly specifies the
    speed with the three-bit code 0x3 = S800. Packet 8 had been already
    defined in the '1394a supplement', and is therefore not an innovation
    of FireWire 800.

    Microsoft's proceeding is thus at least controversial. In any case,
    it's a prime example of a somewhat unworldly bureaucratic-mindedness.
    Since there are no devices that only support S100, the need to
    throttle the bus speed does not actually exist. At least we do not
    know of any such devices, and as it seems Microsoft did not make this
    change because of actual complaints about incompatibilities. One is
    simply left wondering...

    Here is some additional information about using Firwire with Windows XP
    64-Bit Edition (I suspect thats for Itanium though).
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  8. Tom

    DKI Guest

    I have a firewire camera on X64 and it works, so far not had a problem with
    firewire devices.

    Could it be a spefic problem with the video camera.

    Is there a compatable driver for it?

    DKI, Jul 12, 2005
  9. I"ll know I'm that when Intel and AMD start giving me goodies. Or Acer
    "loans" me a Ferrari. ;)

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005