    going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
    programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

    , Nov 17, 2006

  2. Shoo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is
    >not
    > so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the
    > market for
    > an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If
    > I'm only
    > going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
    > programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

    Firewire would be faster for sustained writes of large files, while USB 2.0
    connection could be more convenient.
    But for a weekly backup it hardly matters.

    Shoo, Nov 17, 2006

  3. Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:58:00 -0500, rfdjr1 Has Frothed:

    > I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is not
    > so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the market for
    > an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If I'm only
    > going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
    > programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

    Won't matter

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Nov 17, 2006
  4. beenthere Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is
    >not
    > so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the
    > market for
    > an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If
    > I'm only
    > going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
    > programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

    You can buy externals with both FW, and USB.
    More options, have got to be better.

    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Nov 17, 2006
  5. beenthere Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "beenthere" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this
    >>>is not
    >>> so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the
    >>> market for
    >>> an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If
    >>> I'm only
    >>> going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
    >>> programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.
    >>>

    >> You can buy externals with both FW, and USB.
    >> More options, have got to be better.

    > or....more options, more to go wrong :)>)

    In this case, probably not.
    He can use either FWQ or USB.
    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Nov 17, 2006
  6. olfart Guest

    olfart, Nov 17, 2006
  7. Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:58:00 -0500, wrote:

    >I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is not
    >so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the market for
    >an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If I'm only
    >going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
    >programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

    Thanks. Any preferences on external drives? I've always been a Western Digital
    guy myself. They have a 500Gb 7200rpm 16Mb cache at CompUSA for $199 which seems
    like a decent deal.

    , Nov 17, 2006
  8. Spuds Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:25:06 -0500, wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:58:00 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is not
    >>so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the market for
    >>an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If I'm only
    >>going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
    >>programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

    >Thanks. Any preferences on external drives? I've always been a Western Digital
    >guy myself. They have a 500Gb 7200rpm 16Mb cache at CompUSA for $199 which seems
    >like a decent deal.

    Be sure to check the warranty. A lot of externals come with only a 1 year
    warranty - much less than most bare drives these days.
    --

    "If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
    cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...

    - Nick DiPaolo

    Spuds, Nov 17, 2006
  9. Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:58:00 -0500, wrote:

    >I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is not
    >so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the market for
    >an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If I'm only
    >going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
    >programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

    Theoretically but USB2 never achieves anything like 480 Mbps in my
    experience (depends on the USB2 device).

    Never used Firewire, but know that it's cable length limited to some 8
    (or is it 4) metres between stations.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Nov 17, 2006
  10. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is
    >not
    > so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the
    > market for
    > an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If
    > I'm only
    > going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
    > programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

    As I understand it Firewire (IEEE1394) is a more elegant architecture in
    that it is peer to peer whereas USB is Master/Slave.

    So for transfering data & controlling a Video Camera for example Firewire is
    better.
    Talk to any Video engineer and they will confirm this.

    For just bulk data transfer as in your case either USB or Firewire will get
    the job done just a well.

    USB does have the advantage of being more Universal as it is a standard on
    PC's these days whereas Firewire is not always so.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 18, 2006
  11. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is
    > not
    > so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the market
    > for
    > an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If I'm
    > only
    > going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
    > programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

    If you're concerned about speed for any kinds of future operations, you
    might look at FireWire 800 or an external SATA solution.

    If you go FireWire, and are adding a card, you may as well get the fast
    version. I hear Apple is fairly close to producing FireWire 1600, too!

    Mitch, Nov 18, 2006