    1. Advertising

  2. jack

    whoisthis Guest

    whoisthis, Jul 1, 2007

  3. jack

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <46873314$>, sam <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > jack <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/FireWire-to-become-the-Cinderella-interface.ht
    > >> ml

    > > which only goes to prove that best does not win, cheap and nasty will do
    > > better.

    > I've seen quite an increase in firewire multitrack recording interfaces
    > recently, USB still doesn't cut the mustard for much more than 2 track
    > interfaces.

    I suspect as data gets larger and people expect more then firewire will
    come back as the main player.
    whoisthis, Jul 1, 2007
  4. jack

    thingy Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > jack <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/FireWire-to-become-the-Cinderella-interface.html

    > which only goes to prove that best does not win, cheap and nasty will do
    > better.

    Cheap and adequate....

    VHS v Betamax.....

    ISA v MCA.......

    IE v Netscape......

    IDE v SCSI......

    and I am sure there are others....

    You would think that other companies would learn from these
    examples....oh wait I think at least one campany has...

    If you look at Openoffice v MS Office, if they had started on a
    reasonably level playing field you have to wonder what would be the
    default today....hence we see MS trying to lock in users....if it was
    that much better they would not need to.....

    Apache v IIS.....

    they must remember the VHS v Betamax sarga as well...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 1, 2007
  5. In message <46873314$>, sam wrote:

    > I've seen quite an increase in firewire multitrack recording interfaces
    > recently, USB still doesn't cut the mustard for much more than 2 track
    > interfaces.

    For real-time data transfer, why not use Ethernet? Gigabit Ethernet should
    handily beat FireWire for speed.

    For accessing external storage, it looks like eSATA is the coming thing
    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/06/review_tempo_sata_express/>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 7, 2007
  6. jack

    sam Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <46873314$>, sam wrote:
    >
    >> I've seen quite an increase in firewire multitrack recording interfaces
    >> recently, USB still doesn't cut the mustard for much more than 2 track
    >> interfaces.

    > For real-time data transfer, why not use Ethernet? Gigabit Ethernet should
    > handily beat FireWire for speed.
    >
    > For accessing external storage, it looks like eSATA is the coming thing
    > <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/06/review_tempo_sata_express/>.

    Yes there is an audio over ethernet implementation called Cobranet which
    uses link layer packets instead of tcp/ip which has too much latency
    Latency is still the main issue, it is`a bit high for live use and
    monitoring while recording. The hardware cost is also faily high.
    Firewire is pretty good for ~ 8 - 16 track recording on laptops, but any
    larger systems tend to use PCI or PCIe cards with AES/EBU, ADAT, or MADI
    interfaces to AD converters.
    Dual Opteron systems now regulary do 80 track recordings live with a
    pair of MADI cards.
    sam, Jul 7, 2007