    so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to voice an opinion on which is
    likely to be the longer-lasting standard?

    Ta!

    Rifleman, Jun 9, 2004

  2. Rifleman

    Unknown Guest

    Most will operate with either interface. At least look for one that will.

    Unknown, Jun 9, 2004

  3. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

    "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    > Most will operate with either interface. At least look for one that will.
    > "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking to get an external HDD for back-ups and data storage. Given

    the
    > > analogy of the demise of the (better) betamax videotapes as against the

    (not
    > > so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to voice an opinion on which is
    > > likely to be the longer-lasting standard?
    > >
    > > Ta!

    That's not my question - I'm trying to forecast whether both or either will
    be around in (say) 3 or four years' time!

    Rifleman, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Rifleman

    Dominic Guest

    Rifleman wrote:
    > "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    >> Most will operate with either interface. At least look for one that
    >> will. "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm looking to get an external HDD for back-ups and data storage.
    >>> Given the analogy of the demise of the (better) betamax videotapes
    >>> as against the (not so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to
    >>> voice an opinion on which is likely to be the longer-lasting
    >>> standard?

    > That's not my question - I'm trying to forecast whether both or
    > either will be around in (say) 3 or four years' time!

    Both.

    Dominic, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Rifleman

    Hans Guest

    "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to get an external HDD for back-ups and data storage. Given

    the
    > analogy of the demise of the (better) betamax videotapes as against the

    (not
    > so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to voice an opinion on which is
    > likely to be the longer-lasting standard?
    >
    > Ta!

    USB is a widely used technology that isn't soon to fade away. And firewire
    is IEEE standards-based. Therefore, neither will fade.

    Hans, Jun 10, 2004
  6. Rifleman

    John Guest

    In article <>, Rifleman <>
    wrote:

    > I'm looking to get an external HDD for back-ups and data storage. Given the
    > analogy of the demise of the (better) betamax videotapes as against the (not
    > so good) VHS standard, would anyone care to voice an opinion on which is
    > likely to be the longer-lasting standard?

    They really aren't competing for the same functions.
    Both will last.

    I'd get FireWire for anything that uses large data files.
    Smaller files would probably do fine with either.

    John, Jun 10, 2004