    reference- any info appresiated.

    Firewire drive for Mac/PC- how to best format?

    Om
    Om_Audio, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Om_Audio

    Rick Blythin Guest

    In article <>,
    "Om_Audio" <> wrote:

    > Firewire drive for Mac/PC- how to best format?
    > I will be buying a Firewire hard drive and need to know best way to format
    > for use under OS X and Windows XP. I found the following thread in
    > reference- any info appresiated.
    >
    > Firewire drive for Mac/PC- how to best format?
    >
    > Om

    It depends on whether you want to partition the drive or not. If you
    want to keep it as a single drive then you'll have to format it as
    FAT32. Note that under Windows XP it will only format up to 30 GB.

    I recently bought a usb/firewire enclosure for a 120 GB drive. I split
    it into two partitions under XP. I formatted one NTFS. I left the other
    unformatted then hooked it up to my Powerbook running Panther and
    formatted the remaining partition to the native OS X system file. The
    drive runs fine on both systems.

    Rick
    Rick Blythin, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Om_Audio

    Om_Audio Guest

    Thanks- but I was referring to Mac "extended" and the other one called
    "journaled" - are you familiar with these?

    BTW- I have learned this evening that although the drives I bought were a
    good price they surely are not worth it as they have the "Prolific PL3507"
    chipset in them. Very odd behaviors right out of the box and I will be
    returning them tomorrow and spending quite a bit more on the LaCie drives
    with Oxford chips. Way too many negative comments on the web and far too
    little support. Buyer beware!

    Thanks,

    Om

    Om_Audio, Feb 22, 2005