    both the USB ports and firewire card appear to be fully ok in the device
    manager. I have a dual PIII 800 running Win2000 Pro. Any thought welcome,
    Dave
    DJC737, Aug 17, 2003

  2. DJC737

    CSM1 Guest

    "DJC737" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I love PC's, NOT! Just installed a Adaptec 3 port firewire card into my PC
    > for my new Epson 2200 printer. Removed my modem card to free up some
    > resources since I use cable now just in case. All seemed to work great

    until
    > I went to access my Coolscan IV which is on my MB's USB port. It is gone.

    > found that if I remove the printer from the firewire port the scanner

    shows
    > up again. Reinstall the printer, no scanner. This is a new one for me, as
    > both the USB ports and firewire card appear to be fully ok in the device
    > manager. I have a dual PIII 800 running Win2000 Pro. Any thought welcome,
    > Dave

    One of the things you can try, change the positions of the cards in the PCI
    slots, Example: if firewire is in slot 2, move to slot 3 or slot 1. The
    interrupts are assigned by the PCI slot and are shared. Some devices do not
    share well.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Aug 17, 2003

  3. DJC737

    Tom Scales Guest

    Gosh, what a helpful answer.

    Back to the original question, I tend to agree with a previous poster that
    the USB support in Windows 2000 is quite weak. XP Pro would (probably) fix
    the problem, but USB2 and dual processors have never gotten along well
    either.

    Oh, wait, do you have a dual processor Mac handy :)

    Tom
    <> wrote in message news:bhofs6$78g$...
    > DJC737 <> wrote:
    > > I love PC's, NOT! Just installed a Adaptec 3 port firewire card into my

    PC
    > > for my new Epson 2200 printer. Removed my modem card to free up some
    > > resources since I use cable now just in case. All seemed to work great

    until
    > > I went to access my Coolscan IV which is on my MB's USB port. It is

    gone. I

    Tom Scales, Aug 17, 2003
  4. DJC737

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/17/03 1:00 PM, in article bhofs6$78g$,
    "" <> wrote:

    > DJC737 <> wrote:
    >> I love PC's, NOT! Just installed a Adaptec 3 port firewire card into my PC
    >> for my new Epson 2200 printer. Removed my modem card to free up some
    >> resources since I use cable now just in case. All seemed to work great until
    >> I went to access my Coolscan IV which is on my MB's USB port. It is gone. I
    >> found that if I remove the printer from the firewire port the scanner shows
    >> up again. Reinstall the printer, no scanner. This is a new one for me, as
    >> both the USB ports and firewire card appear to be fully ok in the device
    >> manager. I have a dual PIII 800 running Win2000 Pro. Any thought welcome,

    > Yup, ditch your Winblows PC and get a Mac.

    Oh Boy!
    Here we go again...

    George Kerby, Aug 17, 2003
  5. CSM1 wrote:

    > "DJC737" <> wrote in message
    > > I love PC's, NOT! Just installed a Adaptec 3 port firewire card into my PC
    > > for my new Epson 2200 printer. Removed my modem card to free up some
    > > resources since I use cable now just in case. All seemed to work great

    > until
    > > I went to access my Coolscan IV which is on my MB's USB port. It is gone.

    > > found that if I remove the printer from the firewire port the scanner

    > shows
    > > up again. Reinstall the printer, no scanner. This is a new one for me, as
    > > both the USB ports and firewire card appear to be fully ok in the device
    > > manager. I have a dual PIII 800 running Win2000 Pro. Any thought welcome,
    > > Dave
    > >

    > One of the things you can try, change the positions of the cards in the PCI
    > slots, Example: if firewire is in slot 2, move to slot 3 or slot 1. The
    > interrupts are assigned by the PCI slot and are shared. Some devices do not
    > share well.

    I have windows 2000.

    my first firewire / usb 2 was adaptec.
    It would not work.
    I could get a directory of the mindstor, but the files would not
    transfer.
    adaptec knew nothing about problems. the card was hogging the irq.
    they suggeted that I go in and manually play with IRQ's.

    I avoided telling them what to go play with.

    after reminding myself to forever after avoid adaptec,
    I went out and bought a cheap firewire card at bestbuy. no problems.
    I went back and bought a usb2 card. mo problems.

    never again anything from adaptec. bad install, bad support.

    installed roxio creator 5, and the cd drive promptly disappeared.
    I had used it to install creator.
    roxio support knew nothing about such a problem.

    a search on the internet showed that many others knew what the problem
    was.
    roxio's install damaged the registry.

    the instructions from the search fixed the cd,
    but it took registry medic to finally clean up the registry errors.

    never again anything from roxio. bad install, bad support? never again.

    Bob Crownfield, Aug 17, 2003
  6. DJC737

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/17/03 3:15 PM, in article , "Bob Crownfield"
    <> wrote:

    > CSM1 wrote:
    >>
    >> "DJC737" <> wrote in message
    >>> I love PC's, NOT! Just installed a Adaptec 3 port firewire card into my PC
    >>> for my new Epson 2200 printer. Removed my modem card to free up some
    >>> resources since I use cable now just in case. All seemed to work great

    >> until
    >>> I went to access my Coolscan IV which is on my MB's USB port. It is gone.

    >>> found that if I remove the printer from the firewire port the scanner

    >> shows
    >>> up again. Reinstall the printer, no scanner. This is a new one for me, as
    >>> both the USB ports and firewire card appear to be fully ok in the device
    >>> manager. I have a dual PIII 800 running Win2000 Pro. Any thought welcome,
    >>> Dave
    >>>

    >> One of the things you can try, change the positions of the cards in the PCI
    >> slots, Example: if firewire is in slot 2, move to slot 3 or slot 1. The
    >> interrupts are assigned by the PCI slot and are shared. Some devices do not
    >> share well.

    > I have windows 2000.
    >
    > my first firewire / usb 2 was adaptec.
    > It would not work.
    > I could get a directory of the mindstor, but the files would not
    > transfer.
    > adaptec knew nothing about problems. the card was hogging the irq.
    > they suggeted that I go in and manually play with IRQ's.
    >
    > I avoided telling them what to go play with.
    >
    > after reminding myself to forever after avoid adaptec,
    > I went out and bought a cheap firewire card at bestbuy. no problems.
    > I went back and bought a usb2 card. mo problems.
    >
    > never again anything from adaptec. bad install, bad support.
    >
    > installed roxio creator 5, and the cd drive promptly disappeared.
    > I had used it to install creator.
    > roxio support knew nothing about such a problem.
    >
    > a search on the internet showed that many others knew what the problem
    > was.
    > roxio's install damaged the registry.
    >
    > the instructions from the search fixed the cd,
    > but it took registry medic to finally clean up the registry errors.
    >
    > never again anything from roxio. bad install, bad support? never again.

    Quote the Raven, "Nevermore".

    George Kerby, Aug 17, 2003
  7. In article <BB653E08.145EA%>, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    > > Yup, ditch your Winblows PC and get a Mac.
    > >

    > Oh Boy!
    > Here we go again...

    But he's got a point. :p
    Garner Miller, Aug 18, 2003
  8. DJC737

    Rooker Guest

    >I love PC's, NOT! Just installed a Adaptec 3 port firewire card into my PC
    >for my new Epson 2200 printer. Removed my modem card to free up some
    >resources since I use cable now just in case. All seemed to work great until
    >I went to access my Coolscan IV which is on my MB's USB port. It is gone. I
    >found that if I remove the printer from the firewire port the scanner shows
    >up again. Reinstall the printer, no scanner. This is a new one for me, as
    >both the USB ports and firewire card appear to be fully ok in the device
    >manager. I have a dual PIII 800 running Win2000 Pro. Any thought welcome,
    >Dave

    Do you have service pack 4 installed? It improves USB support.

    Rooker
    "If it weren't for physics, and the cops, I'd be unstoppable!"
    Rooker, Aug 18, 2003
  9. DJC737

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/17/03 8:11 PM, in article 170820032111281754%,
    "Garner Miller" <> wrote:

    > In article <BB653E08.145EA%>, George Kerby
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Yup, ditch your Winblows PC and get a Mac.
    >>>

    >> Oh Boy!
    >> Here we go again...

    > But he's got a point. :p

    Oh hell, I agree! I'm playing on my shiny new TiBook right now.

    George Kerby, Aug 18, 2003
  10. DJC737

    DJC737 Guest

    If MS released it, I installed it. I have seriously considered a switch to a
    MAC but am not sure how many of my photoediting packages will work on it.
    How do you get Adobe to reissue a MAC version of a already purchased Windows
    version. That actually is the biggest cost problem I see in switching. Dave

    DJC737, Aug 18, 2003
  11. DJC737

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/18/03 11:57 AM, in article , "DJC737"
    <> wrote:

    > If MS released it, I installed it. I have seriously considered a switch to a
    > MAC but am not sure how many of my photoediting packages will work on it.
    > How do you get Adobe to reissue a MAC version of a already purchased Windows
    > version. That actually is the biggest cost problem I see in switching. Dave
    >
    > "Rooker" <> wrote in message
    >>> I love PC's, NOT! Just installed a Adaptec 3 port firewire card into my

    > PC
    >>> for my new Epson 2200 printer. Removed my modem card to free up some
    >>> resources since I use cable now just in case. All seemed to work great

    > until
    >>> I went to access my Coolscan IV which is on my MB's USB port. It is gone.

    >>> found that if I remove the printer from the firewire port the scanner

    > shows
    >>> up again. Reinstall the printer, no scanner. This is a new one for me, as
    >>> both the USB ports and firewire card appear to be fully ok in the device
    >>> manager. I have a dual PIII 800 running Win2000 Pro. Any thought welcome,
    >>> Dave

    >> Do you have service pack 4 installed? It improves USB support.
    >>

    >> Rooker
    >> "If it weren't for physics, and the cops, I'd be unstoppable!"

    Try ebay. A lot of "students" sell new unopened software way below suggested
    retail because of the fact that they can buy it at 50% or less of retail. I
    got a brtand new full version of Premier for $175 that way. You also might
    talk with Adobe but I don't think you will get anywhere. But no harm in
    trying. Good luck!

    George Kerby, Aug 18, 2003