    I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for high speed flash card
    reading. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks Bill

    WHV1143, Feb 11, 2004

  2. > I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for high speed flash card
    > reading. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    I've got the Sandisk Imagemate and it works great.

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 11, 2004

  3. WHV1143

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    WHV1143 wrote:

    > I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for
    > high speed flash card reading. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions?

    Huh? Why FW?
    There's plenty of USB2.0 card readers available for $30
    or so. If your computer doesn't have a USB2.0 port, a
    USB2.0 card only costs about $15 or even less.
    FYI, USB2.0 is actually faster than FW, albeit by a
    smidgeon.

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 11, 2004
  4. WHV1143

    nospam Guest

    In article <VOjWb.22483$>, Paolo
    Pizzi <> wrote:

    > WHV1143 wrote:
    >
    > > I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for
    > > high speed flash card reading. Does anyone have any
    > > suggestions?

    > Huh? Why FW?
    > There's plenty of USB2.0 card readers available for $30
    > or so. If your computer doesn't have a USB2.0 port, a
    > USB2.0 card only costs about $15 or even less.
    > FYI, USB2.0 is actually faster than FW, albeit by a
    > smidgeon.

    the raw data rate of usb2 is higher than standard firewire (480mbit vs
    400mbit), however, the real world throughput is the reverse because usb
    has much higher protocol overhead. and then there is firewire 800...

    furthermore, firewire cards are also 15bux or so, and combo
    usb/firewire cards are not much more. firewire readers are also
    similarly priced.

    nospam, Feb 11, 2004
  5. WHV1143

    Ron Hunter Guest

    WHV1143 wrote:

    > I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for high speed flash card
    > reading. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks Bill

    Yes, use USB 2.0. Firewire has the speed advantage as to actual 'real
    world' performance, but at this time, no cards are fast enough to make
    it a real advantage since USB 2.0 is easily faster than any flash card
    you can buy.
    If you intend to get into video editing, then the Firewire card would be
    a good investment, but there seems to be a dearth of Firewire flash card
    readers because of the previous information.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 11, 2004
  6. My suggestion would be to only get the firewire card if you have some other
    reason for it as well, such as digital video transfer. For flash card
    reading firewire is overkill. USB2 is definitely fine for the job, and the
    readers are more common and should therefore be a bit cheaper. The speed of
    the card will determine the speed of the transfer, not whether you're using
    USB2 or firewire. Obviously stay away from USB1.x readers because that will
    slow you down.

    If you do still really want to get firewire then I think any of the common
    brands should work just fine. I have an adaptec and I've never had any
    problems with it. As with any computer peripheral it's best to avoid the
    gerneric brand types.

    Eugene O'Brien, Feb 11, 2004
  7. WHV1143

    Ray Fischer Guest

    WHV1143 <> wrote:
    >I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for high speed flash card
    >reading. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    IOGear sells both FireWire and USB 2.0 cards. I've seen them sold
    for around $10 each. PCI, of course.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Feb 15, 2004
  8. WHV1143

    rene maark Guest

    Hi,
    I installed a Firewire Video PCI KIT DV411P without problem. This card has
    tree outputs.
    Have a look at: http://www.trust.com
    HaND,
    rene