    both online and Z Alarm's down.
    cheers
    dan

    Dan Welch, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Dan Welch

    Harrison Guest

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/ic_firewall.htm

    Harrison, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Dan Welch

    Dan Welch Guest

    <Harrison> wrote in message
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/ic_firewall.htm
    >
    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:30:55 -0000, "Dan Welch"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Evening all,
    > >I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall. With

    this
    > >being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
    > >specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked computers

    at
    > >home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not supported

    by
    > >Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when we're
    > >both online and Z Alarm's down.
    > >cheers
    > >dan

    Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME network
    with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that connects to the
    Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini network and Internet
    Connection sharing. Have no real problem with file / printer sharing within
    the network.
    My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only rather
    than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does* interfere with my
    home network.
    cheers
    dan

    Dan Welch, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Dan Welch

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:46:16 -0000, "Dan Welch"
    <> wrote:

    ><Harrison> wrote in message
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/ic_firewall.htm
    >>
    >> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:30:55 -0000, "Dan Welch"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Evening all,
    >> >I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall. With

    >this
    >> >being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
    >> >specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked computers

    >at
    >> >home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not supported

    >by
    >> >Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when we're
    >> >both online and Z Alarm's down.
    >> >cheers
    >> >dan
    >> >

    >Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME network
    >with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that connects to the
    >Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini network and Internet
    >Connection sharing. Have no real problem with file / printer sharing within
    >the network.
    >My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only rather
    >than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does* interfere with my
    >home network.
    >cheers
    >dan

    From the text, "Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
    protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the
    Internet -- everything from casual port scans by bored teenagers to
    serious break-in attempts by determined hackers. ICF creates a
    protective barrier between your network and the Internet, only passing
    through traffic that you've requested."

    In other words, ICF is an ample firewall for most situations.

    Harrison, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Dan Welch

    Senti Guest

    Harrison did mumble ...

    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:46:16 -0000, "Dan Welch"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> <Harrison> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/ic_firewall.htm

    >> Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME
    >> network with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that
    >> connects to the Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini
    >> network and Internet Connection sharing. Have no real problem with
    >> file / printer sharing within the network.
    >> My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only
    >> rather than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does*
    >> interfere with my home network.
    >> cheers
    >> dan

    > From the text, "Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
    > protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the
    > Internet -- everything from casual port scans by bored teenagers to
    > serious break-in attempts by determined hackers. ICF creates a
    > protective barrier between your network and the Internet, only passing
    > through traffic that you've requested."
    >
    > In other words, ICF is an ample firewall for most situations.

    However, XP's firewall is a one-way barrier. It only protects against
    "attacks" coming into the computer. It won't block any outging requests
    that a virus/trojan/worm may attempt to make.
    --
    ~SF~
    Things will get better -- despite our efforts to improve them. -Will

    Senti, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Dan Welch

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:16:19 -0600, "Senti"
    <> wrote:

    >Harrison did mumble ...
    >
    >> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:46:16 -0000, "Dan Welch"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> <Harrison> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME
    >>> network with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that
    >>> connects to the Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini
    >>> network and Internet Connection sharing. Have no real problem with
    >>> file / printer sharing within the network.
    >>> My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only
    >>> rather than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does*
    >>> interfere with my home network.
    >>> cheers
    >>> dan

    >> From the text, "Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
    >> protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the
    >> Internet -- everything from casual port scans by bored teenagers to
    >> serious break-in attempts by determined hackers. ICF creates a
    >> protective barrier between your network and the Internet, only passing
    >> through traffic that you've requested."
    >>
    >> In other words, ICF is an ample firewall for most situations.

    >However, XP's firewall is a one-way barrier. It only protects against
    >"attacks" coming into the computer. It won't block any outging requests
    >that a virus/trojan/worm may attempt to make.

    Very true. Therefore, XP's firewall, coupled with a good antivirus
    solution should be all that's needed.

    Harrison, Jan 30, 2004
  7. Dan Welch

    Sultan Guest

    Dan Welch wrote in news:401adebe$:

    > <Harrison> wrote in message
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/ic_firewall.htm
    >>
    >> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:30:55 -0000, "Dan Welch"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Evening all,
    >> >I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall.
    >> >With

    > this
    >> >being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
    >> >specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked
    >> >computers

    > at
    >> >home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not
    >> >supported

    > by
    >> >Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when
    >> >we're both online and Z Alarm's down.
    >> >cheers
    >> >dan
    >> >

    > Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME
    > network with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that
    > connects to the Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini network
    > and Internet Connection sharing. Have no real problem with file /
    > printer sharing within the network.
    > My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only
    > rather than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does*
    > interfere with my home network.
    > cheers
    > dan

    Zone Alarm, when properly configured, will not "interfere" with your home
    network. It runs with nary a problem on mine.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 31, 2004
  8. Dan Welch

    Dan Welch Guest

    "Sultan" <> wrote in message
    > Dan Welch wrote in news:401adebe$:

    > Zone Alarm, when properly configured, will not "interfere" with your home
    > network. It runs with nary a problem on mine.
    >
    > Sultan

    Ah, but I have the cheap free version, not ZA Pro - from what I remember
    when I was setting up our home network ZA specifically stated in a help file
    that it was incompatible with XP networking, to do that you needed ZA Pro.
    Cheers
    dan

    Dan Welch, Feb 1, 2004
  9. Dan Welch

    Dan Welch Guest

    <Harrison> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:16:19 -0600, "Senti"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Harrison did mumble ...
    > >

    > >However, XP's firewall is a one-way barrier. It only protects against
    > >"attacks" coming into the computer. It won't block any outging requests
    > >that a virus/trojan/worm may attempt to make.

    > Very true. Therefore, XP's firewall, coupled with a good antivirus
    > solution should be all that's needed.

    Excellent. Thanks for your help.
    cheers
    dan