firewall

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew Lambert, Jul 24, 2007.

  1. Looking for a cheap/free light firewall for a winxp box

    Andrew Lambert, Jul 24, 2007

  2. Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > Looking for a cheap/free light firewall for a winxp box

    Im pretty sure the machine has been compromised, But im not entirely sure

    The machine runs fine, nothing unusual.. Except my internet usage seems
    to be up higher then i expect, Small amounts each day

    netstat has had some odd connections evey noun again, but not all the
    time or every day

    Windows firewall is on but this one connection continues to get through

    I would just block more ports on my router.. But i did something to it
    and i cant log into it anymore - its too secure.

    Andrew Lambert, Jul 24, 2007

  3. Andrew Lambert

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:19:32 +1200
    Andrew Lambert <> wrote:

    > Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > > Looking for a cheap/free light firewall for a winxp box
    > >

    > Im pretty sure the machine has been compromised, But im not entirely
    > sure
    >
    > The machine runs fine, nothing unusual.. Except my internet usage
    > seems to be up higher then i expect, Small amounts each day
    >
    > netstat has had some odd connections evey noun again, but not all the
    > time or every day
    >
    > Windows firewall is on but this one connection continues to get
    > through
    >
    > I would just block more ports on my router.. But i did something to
    > it and i cant log into it anymore - its too secure.

    Hi
    Wireshark network analyzer and Sygate personal firewall 5.6 should help
    http://www.wireshark.org/
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160?id=213160

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

    Malcolm, Jul 24, 2007
  4. Andrew Lambert

    XPD Guest

    "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message

    > I would just block more ports on my router.. But i did something to it and
    > i cant log into it anymore - its too secure.

    No pinhole for a factory reset on the router ?

    XPD, Jul 24, 2007
  5. Andrew Lambert

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Andrew Lambert <> wrote in news:f84254$fk3$:

    > Im pretty sure the machine has been compromised, But im not entirely sure

    Backup, re-install.
    Use autopatcher or ryansvm to make a disk with all the updates to use when
    you re-install. Get you favorite firewall and install it, then you can
    connect to the internet.
    However, you are behind a router you say...
    So maybe just installing your favorite firewall will show up what is trying
    to connect.
    I am an old sygate fan, but it is abandonware now.
    I guess you could use comodo, it is supposed to be pretty good on machines
    it works fine on. There are some rare ones it does not work on.
    here:
    http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/91.htm

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 24, 2007
  6. Andrew Lambert

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:15:34 +1200, Andrew Lambert <> wrote:

    >Looking for a cheap/free light firewall for a winxp box

    Kerio 2.1.5

    Greg House, Jul 24, 2007
  7. Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > Looking for a cheap/free light firewall for a winxp box

    I installed comodo.

    Im thinking now my phantom usage is caused by vnc.. I vnc in to home
    from work.. and often i forget to close it

    Comodo counts the traffic used and vnc uses quite alot...

    I am gonna keep comodo running as it seems to work quite well. I just
    have to work out how to open the port for azureous... Currently i get a
    nat error

    Andrew Lambert, Jul 24, 2007
  8. Andrew Lambert

    neutrino Guest

    On Jul 24, 6:23 pm, Dave Taylor <> wrote:
    > Andrew Lambert <> wrote innews:f84254$fk3$:
    >
    > > Im pretty sure the machine has been compromised, But im not entirely sure

    > Backup, re-install.
    > Use autopatcher or ryansvm to make a disk with all the updates to use when
    > you re-install. Get you favorite firewall and install it, then you can
    > connect to the internet.
    > However, you are behind a router you say...
    > So maybe just installing your favorite firewall will show up what is trying
    > to connect.
    > I am an old sygate fan, but it is abandonware now.
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    ?Have you ever thought of dusting it off and using it anyway ?
    Norton bought it and trashed - I guess it was competition elimination
    or something like that - or was 'Sygate' selling anyway~ I dunno...
    but I'm still using it ! and have had No Problems at all! V5.6 - not
    sure if that was the last update or not - but it works fine as far as
    I'm concerned - don't really know if not having any Update ability is
    posing a risk - but no worries so far, and as I mentioned in another
    posting a few before this, that plus Avast to look after the Virus
    threat, I'm confident of a clean machine. plus a couple of spyware
    apps that get pulled out now n then for a sweep of the system - but
    all they'v ever found in ad cookies, no "in the red" risk ones.

    neutrino, Jul 26, 2007
  9. In article <>,
    says...
    > ?Have you ever thought of dusting it off and using it anyway ?
    > Norton bought it and trashed - I guess it was competition elimination
    > or something like that - or was 'Sygate' selling anyway~ I dunno...
    > but I'm still using it ! and have had No Problems at all! V5.6 - not
    > sure if that was the last update or not - but it works fine as far as
    > I'm concerned - don't really know if not having any Update ability is
    > posing a risk - but no worries so far, and as I mentioned in another
    > posting a few before this, that plus Avast to look after the Virus
    > threat, I'm confident of a clean machine. plus a couple of spyware
    > apps that get pulled out now n then for a sweep of the system - but
    > all they'v ever found in ad cookies, no "in the red" risk ones.

    Same here, except that I use Sygate&AVG. I still do a bit of security work
    around the area and Sygate is what I put on people's system as a firewall (plus
    they get a virus/backdoor avoidance policy drummed into them) and NONE of those
    ppl have come back to me with problems/infections, EVER. It just works, and
    doesn't cause problems, and that's what I like to see. Once I've put it on,
    I've done myself out of a [future] job. Which is fine, cause I don't need a
    continuous stream of income from that side of things.

    I was so seriously pissed off at Symantec for shutting Sygate down that I will
    no longer buy their products.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 26, 2007
  10. Andrew Lambert

    neutrino Guest

    On Jul 26, 9:29 pm, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > > ?Have you ever thought of dusting it off and using it anyway ?
    > > Norton bought it and trashed - I guess it was competition elimination
    > > or something like that - or was 'Sygate' selling anyway~ I dunno...
    > > but I'm still using it ! and have had No Problems at all! V5.6 - not
    > > sure if that was the last update or not - but it works fine as far as
    > > I'm concerned - don't really know if not having any Update ability is
    > > posing a risk - but no worries so far, and as I mentioned in another
    > > posting a few before this, that plus Avast to look after the Virus
    > > threat, I'm confident of a clean machine. plus a couple of spyware
    > > apps that get pulled out now n then for a sweep of the system - but
    > > all they'v ever found in ad cookies, no "in the red" risk ones.

    > Same here, except that I use Sygate&AVG. I still do a bit of security work
    > around the area and Sygate is what I put on people's system as a firewall (plus
    > they get a virus/backdoor avoidance policy drummed into them) and NONE of those
    > ppl have come back to me with problems/infections, EVER. It just works, and
    > doesn't cause problems, and that's what I like to see. Once I've put it on,
    > I've done myself out of a [future] job. Which is fine, cause I don't need a
    > continuous stream of income from that side of things.
    >
    > I was so seriously pissed off at Symantec for shutting Sygate down that I will
    > no longer buy their products.
    >
    > -P.

    Same here... though the ONE product I do use is Ghost (V9)- one
    prog' I'd not be without, it just gives you the confidence to do what
    you want and know you can restore within 10 minutes or so.
    though having said that - I had an occasion to ask their support a
    question recently
    - cos I suggested to someone who has just set up a new Pc - that it
    might be advantagious to also
    use ghost - as a demo - I installed mine (not to leave permanent) but
    for who?knows?why? it failed on verifying image ~ never had tyhat on
    my system - but the Support took a week to get back to me, and even
    then it came with no response, other than to ask if this was still an
    issue ~ I replied wondering what they were on about, and how about a
    reply to the error code!! then they came back a couple of days later
    saying cos I was asking about V 9 - they couldnt help - it was no
    longer "supported" and I should search their help database for an
    answer ~ sheeesh how much time would it have taken for for them to
    have done that much!
    customer service - going that little bit extra is what it's all
    about!! Oh.. and the person I was suggesting this to - in the
    meantime while waiting for response from "support" - suggested they
    take a look at Acronis true Image - they did , they bought, installed,
    and used ~ does just as good (if not better) a job as Sym's Ghost !
    I might even invest in it myself!!
    but for a little xtra from support - I wouldnt be, and
    they'd likely have sold another Ghost.
    oh and yep - same as you - I install Sygate on anyones Pc that I
    assist with (neighbourly help, not as a job)

    neutrino, Jul 26, 2007