firewall

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
    one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate

    - looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software

    Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
    every week

    Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace

    best reccomendations?

    the ones that spring to mind are:
    zone alam
    kerio
    sygate

    Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
    option for this case..

    im open to suggestions

    system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
    the machine

    Thanks in advance
    Andrew
    Andrew, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Andrew

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:00:23 +1200, Andrew
    <> wrote:

    >I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
    >one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
    >
    >- looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
    >
    >Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
    >every week
    >
    >Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
    >
    >best reccomendations?
    >
    >the ones that spring to mind are:
    >zone alam
    >kerio
    >sygate
    >
    >Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
    >option for this case..
    >
    >im open to suggestions
    >
    >system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
    >the machine
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Andrew

    I have had no problem with ZoneAlarm. You just have to do a clean
    install whenever you update it.
    GraB, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Andrew wrote:
    > I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
    > one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
    >
    > - looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
    >
    > Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
    > every week
    >
    > Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
    >
    > best reccomendations?
    >
    > the ones that spring to mind are:
    > zone alam
    > kerio
    > sygate
    >
    > Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
    > option for this case..
    >
    > im open to suggestions
    >
    > system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
    > the machine

    XP SP1 already has the Internet Connection Firewall built in - goto the
    adapter in the network connections control panel and turn it on.

    If you have XP SP2 the Windows Firewall is already enabled by default

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 20, 2005
  4. On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:00:23 +1200, Andrew wrote:

    > I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
    > one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
    >
    > - looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
    >
    > Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
    > every week
    >
    > Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
    >
    > best reccomendations?
    >
    > the ones that spring to mind are:
    > zone alam
    > kerio
    > sygate
    >
    > Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
    > option for this case..
    >
    > im open to suggestions
    >
    > system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
    > the machine
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Andrew

    The built-in firewall for XP2 is probably the best one to avoid the calls,
    since it only "bugs" you about incoming connections. Others have a habit
    of presenting a whole series of popup windows where the newbie will just
    start clicking accept madly.
    wogers nemesis, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Andrew

    shannon Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
    > one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
    >
    > - looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
    >
    > Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
    > every week
    >
    > Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
    >
    > best reccomendations?
    >
    > the ones that spring to mind are:
    > zone alam
    > kerio
    > sygate
    >
    > Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
    > option for this case..
    >
    > im open to suggestions
    >
    > system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
    > the machine
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Andrew

    Just upgrade to SP2, then you get a simple to use firewall with
    automatic updates
    shannon, Aug 20, 2005
  6. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for
    >> this one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
    >>
    >> - looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
    >>
    >> Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
    >> every week
    >>
    >> Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
    >>
    >> best reccomendations?
    >>
    >> the ones that spring to mind are:
    >> zone alam
    >> kerio
    >> sygate
    >>
    >> Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
    >> option for this case..
    >>
    >> im open to suggestions
    >>
    >> system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
    >> the machine
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Andrew

    > Just upgrade to SP2, then you get a simple to use firewall with
    > automatic updates

    I think this could be the best plan, if its not sp2 then i will update
    it, and if it is i will be sure that it is on
    Andrew, Aug 20, 2005
  7. Andrew

    Software Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:48:35 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:00:23 +1200, Andrew
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
    >>one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
    >>
    >>- looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
    >>
    >>Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
    >>every week
    >>
    >>Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
    >>
    >>best reccomendations?
    >>
    >>the ones that spring to mind are:
    >>zone alam
    >>kerio
    >>sygate
    >>
    >>Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
    >>option for this case..
    >>
    >>im open to suggestions
    >>
    >>system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
    >>the machine
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>Andrew

    >I have had no problem with ZoneAlarm. You just have to do a clean
    >install whenever you update it.

    Slows the System down a lot and can cause problems, I dopped long ago..
    Software, Aug 20, 2005
  8. Andrew

    akiwi Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:00:23 +1200, Andrew wrote:

    >I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
    >one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
    >
    >- looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
    >
    >Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
    >every week
    >
    >Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
    >
    >best reccomendations?

    Trend micro internet security is fairly nice and straightforward and its
    firewall is better than XP but it's not free. Make sure you turn off
    all the "alerting" options if you don't want a popup window every time
    it detects an "internet attack" etc - which is pretty often ...

    akiwi
    akiwi, Aug 20, 2005
  9. wogers nemesis wrote:
    >>system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
    >>the machine
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>Andrew

    > The built-in firewall for XP2 is probably the best one to avoid the calls,
    > since it only "bugs" you about incoming connections. Others have a habit

    To be clear. The Windows Firewall in XP SP2 "bugs" you when an
    application tries to open a port to allow inbound connections, not
    everytime an incoming connection happens.

    In Windows Vista there will be both inbound and outbound protection
    through the Windows Firewall.

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 20, 2005
  10. Andrew

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:39:20 +1200, Software
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:48:35 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:00:23 +1200, Andrew
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
    >>>one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
    >>>
    >>>- looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
    >>>
    >>>Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
    >>>every week
    >>>
    >>>Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
    >>>
    >>>best reccomendations?
    >>>
    >>>the ones that spring to mind are:
    >>>zone alam
    >>>kerio
    >>>sygate
    >>>
    >>>Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
    >>>option for this case..
    >>>
    >>>im open to suggestions
    >>>
    >>>system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
    >>>the machine
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>>Andrew

    >>I have had no problem with ZoneAlarm. You just have to do a clean
    >>install whenever you update it.

    >Slows the System down a lot and can cause problems, I dopped long ago..

    I have been running ZoneAlarm, usually the latest avaible version, on
    Win98SE, on K6-2/550, Duron 1100 and now Athlon XP2400+ and have never
    noticed a slowdown. I have noticed a slowdown when using Norton AV
    and would guess you would get a slowdown when using that with the
    Security Suite. There was only one problem that I can remember and
    that was in relation to Agent decoding yEnc binary attachments on
    newsgroups, a version of ZoneAlarm cause a corruption of the headers.
    That was fixed in the next version and I have had no problem since.
    GraB, Aug 20, 2005
  11. Andrew

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:36:54 +1200, Andrew
    <> wrote:

    >shannon wrote:
    >> Andrew wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for
    >>> this one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
    >>>
    >>> - looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
    >>>
    >>> Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
    >>> every week
    >>>
    >>> Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
    >>>
    >>> best reccomendations?
    >>>
    >>> the ones that spring to mind are:
    >>> zone alam
    >>> kerio
    >>> sygate
    >>>
    >>> Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
    >>> option for this case..
    >>>
    >>> im open to suggestions
    >>>
    >>> system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
    >>> the machine
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>> Andrew

    >> Just upgrade to SP2, then you get a simple to use firewall with
    >> automatic updates

    >I think this could be the best plan, if its not sp2 then i will update
    >it, and if it is i will be sure that it is on

    in english, I am running windows xp, is that sp2???

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Aug 20, 2005
  12. Andrew

    bambam Guest

    Squirrel <> wrote in

    >>I think this could be the best plan, if its not sp2 then i will update
    >>it, and if it is i will be sure that it is on

    > in english, I am running windows xp, is that sp2???

    Right click My Computer, select properties.
    What does it say?
    bambam, Aug 20, 2005
  13. Andrew

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:13:47 GMT, bambam <>
    wrote:

    >Squirrel <> wrote in
    >
    >>>I think this could be the best plan, if its not sp2 then i will update
    >>>it, and if it is i will be sure that it is on

    >> in english, I am running windows xp, is that sp2???

    >Right click My Computer, select properties.
    >What does it say?

    Where do I find My Computer? Nah just kidding, makes me feel clever
    that I can usually follow instructions from the group :)

    It says (spit spit) Service Pack 1

    Thanx

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Aug 20, 2005
  14. Andrew

    Phstpok Guest

    SP2 is a huge download. If you are just on dial-up, or you don't (or a
    mate) don't have a copy,(plenty came out in comp mags a while ago) I can
    snail mail you a copy.

    phstpok5 AT aim DOT com email me.

    Squirrel stubbed out the damp squib on 21/08/2005 1:29 a.m.and tried to
    bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:

    Phstpok, Aug 20, 2005
  15. Andrew

    shannon Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:13:47 GMT, bambam <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Squirrel <> wrote in

    >>>in english, I am running windows xp, is that sp2???

    >>Right click My Computer, select properties.
    >>What does it say?

    > Where do I find My Computer? Nah just kidding, makes me feel clever
    > that I can usually follow instructions from the group :)
    >
    > It says (spit spit) Service Pack 1
    >

    > Thanx
    >
    > Squirrel

    It still has a firewall
    If you go to your network connections, select the one that connects you
    to the internet, select properties and the advanced tab you will see the
    firewall settings.
    But you should still update to SP2
    shannon, Aug 20, 2005
  16. Phstpok wrote:
    > SP2 is a huge download. If you are just on dial-up, or you don't (or a
    > mate) don't have a copy,(plenty came out in comp mags a while ago) I can
    > snail mail you a copy.
    >
    > phstpok5 AT aim DOT com email me.

    It can be ordered (free) from Microsoft too
    http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 20, 2005
  17. Andrew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > wogers nemesis wrote:
    >>> system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i
    >>> see the machine
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>> Andrew

    >> The built-in firewall for XP2 is probably the best one to avoid the
    >> calls, since it only "bugs" you about incoming connections. Others
    >> have a habit

    > To be clear. The Windows Firewall in XP SP2 "bugs" you when an
    > application tries to open a port to allow inbound connections, not
    > everytime an incoming connection happens.
    >
    > In Windows Vista there will be both inbound and outbound protection
    > through the Windows Firewall.

    In other words, for now, get a third-party firewall that already does it. My
    vote goes to Sygate. After having run ZoneAlarm for a couple years Sygate
    was a breath of fresh air. A lot more user-friendly and intuative to use. I
    actually felt like I knew what I was doing with Sygate whereas with ZA a lot
    of it (required user input) was obscure at best.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 21, 2005
  18. Andrew

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:47:23 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:13:47 GMT, bambam <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Squirrel <> wrote in

    >>>Right click My Computer, select properties.
    >>>What does it say?

    >> Where do I find My Computer? Nah just kidding, makes me feel clever
    >> that I can usually follow instructions from the group :)
    >>
    >> It says (spit spit) Service Pack 1
    >>

    >> Thanx
    >>
    >> Squirrel
    >>

    >It still has a firewall
    >If you go to your network connections, select the one that connects you
    >to the internet, select properties and the advanced tab you will see the
    >firewall settings.
    >But you should still update to SP2

    And I shal, thanx to a kind soul who just gave me the right software.
    I do like this ng, so friendly

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Aug 21, 2005
  19. Andrew

    Dave Taylor Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    >>sygate

    This has my vote.
    Put on XP SP2 and enable daily autoupdate and install.
    You also need some AV.
    Avast! is free, and has no nag background updates.
    Set it to daily also.
    Spywareblaster will also help, and since you are running Windows, chuck on
    MS antispyware.

    All this stuff on a newish PC will not affect performance very much for the
    un-educated internet n00b.
    An educated, experienced internet user does not need all this stuff, but
    n00bs do.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 21, 2005
  20. Andrew

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:40:09 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    > in english, I am running windows xp, is that sp2???

    Should be eh? ;-) As in both, but then some disagree.
    Gordon, Aug 21, 2005