    Grimscythe Guest

    Can anyone point me to any decent 64-bit firewalls(except AVG 7.0)?
    Thanks.

    Grimscythe, Nov 1, 2006

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 1, 2006

  3. * Grimscythe:

    > Can anyone point me to any decent 64-bit firewalls(except AVG 7.0)?

    Since most of these personal firewalls don't provide real protection but
    often just incorporate additional security holes I'd recommend staying
    with the built-in firewall. If you want better protection you need a
    separate firewall that runs on its own hardware (hardware firewall,
    router etc).

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 2, 2006
  4. Would a Wireless Router with a firewall fill that description, do you think?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 2, 2006
  5. Grimscythe

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:23:46 +0100, "Tony Sperling"
    <> wrote:

    >Would a Wireless Router with a firewall fill that description, do you think?

    Nvidia mobo's have a built-in firewall. But this causes problems as has
    been said here before.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Nov 2, 2006
  6. Personally, I'm quite pleased with the built in Windows Firewall.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 2, 2006
  7. What do you think of the new Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    Charlie? It looks like over kill to me. I thought it was for IT
    environments, but its in Vista Home Basic x64 also.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin], Nov 2, 2006
  8. * Tony Sperling:

    > Would a Wireless Router with a firewall fill that description, do you think?

    Definitely, especially if the router is one of the better ones (i.e.
    Linksys)...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 2, 2006
  9. It's just that I have this Ovis 'Airlive' with a Firewall, the documenation
    is not voluminous and I just set it up by it's defaults, not sure if it
    helps much, but apparently the fact that the hardware that runs the two are
    different is an extra protection even if they are set up the same - all that
    is over my head, I confess.

    A long time ago I ran the tests on the Gibson site and had a clean sheet,
    several things that Windows machines rarely passed was completely covered,
    it said. I am aware that such tests don't have to mean a lot, but I took it
    as proof that my ISP has done their job, and that I didn't do anything
    enormously stupid.

    Tony Sperling, Nov 2, 2006
  10. * Tony Sperling:

    > It's just that I have this Ovis 'Airlive' with a Firewall, the documenation
    > is not voluminous and I just set it up by it's defaults, not sure if it
    > helps much, but apparently the fact that the hardware that runs the two are
    > different is an extra protection even if they are set up the same - all that
    > is over my head, I confess.

    I don't know this specific model but even the worst router w/o any
    firewall still provides a lot of protection just because of NAT (Network
    Address Translation, simply spoken means that your computer or any other
    device of the LAN is not visible to the outside world, just the router).

    > A long time ago I ran the tests on the Gibson site and had a clean sheet,
    > several things that Windows machines rarely passed was completely covered,
    > it said. I am aware that such tests don't have to mean a lot, but I took it
    > as proof that my ISP has done their job, and that I didn't do anything
    > enormously stupid.

    Definitely not.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 3, 2006
  11. I like it. It's a logical extension of what's already in Windows Firewall.
    And, on the home side, it works with One Care. Which I will never run on my
    business network. ;)

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 3, 2006
  12. Grimscythe