    TCP/IP bindings secure
    Netbios over TCP/IP disabled

    So why do I need to run a firewall?

    prettygirl, Oct 14, 2004

  2. prettygirl

    donnie Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:00:45 GMT, prettygirl <> wrote:

    >Windows98
    >Roadrunner cable subscriber
    >All MS Windows patches installed
    >AV program up to date
    >TCP/IP bindings secure
    >Netbios over TCP/IP disabled
    >
    >So why do I need to run a firewall?

    ####################
    You don't but I would have a router between you and the modem if you
    don't already and I would disable or prompt for all scripting in IE.
    donnie

    donnie, Oct 14, 2004

  3. prettygirl

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns9581CA74CE486nothanks@65.32.5.122>,
    says...
    > Windows98
    > Roadrunner cable subscriber
    > All MS Windows patches installed
    > AV program up to date
    > TCP/IP bindings secure
    > Netbios over TCP/IP disabled
    >
    > So why do I need to run a firewall?

    For the things you don't know about. For the flaws that have remained
    undetected.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Oct 14, 2004
  4. prettygirl

    johns Guest

    > Windows98
    > So why do I need to run a firewall?

    Windows98 ?????? You kidding ??????? What security
    patches ?????? If you'll give us your ip-address, we'll
    downld your C-drive.

    johns

    johns, Oct 14, 2004
  5. prettygirl

    Celtic Leroy Guest

    Leythos <> wrote:

    >In article <Xns9581CA74CE486nothanks@65.32.5.122>,
    >says...
    >> Windows98
    >> Roadrunner cable subscriber
    >> All MS Windows patches installed
    >> AV program up to date
    >> TCP/IP bindings secure
    >> Netbios over TCP/IP disabled
    >>
    >> So why do I need to run a firewall?

    >For the things you don't know about. For the flaws that have remained
    >undetected.
    >
    >--

    And because "Settings" can be ignored?? Just because YOU say there is
    to be no NETBIOS, doesn't mean that there ISN'T NETBIOS. Remember,
    this is the World with/Windows.

    Celtic Leroy, Oct 14, 2004
  6. prettygirl

    Celtic Leroy Guest

    "johns" <> wrote:

    >> Windows98
    >> So why do I need to run a firewall?

    >Windows98 ?????? You kidding ??????? What security
    >patches ?????? If you'll give us your ip-address, we'll
    >downld your C-drive.

    Please do not scare the visitors!!!!

    Celtic Leroy, Oct 14, 2004
  7. prettygirl <> wrote:

    > Windows98
    > Roadrunner cable subscriber
    > All MS Windows patches installed
    > AV program up to date
    > TCP/IP bindings secure
    > Netbios over TCP/IP disabled
    >
    > So why do I need to run a firewall?

    because there is a dely between a fault being found and being patched,
    some times short some times not so short.....

    so even if fully patched on any systum its worth having a firewall/NAT
    router to prevent any worms coming your way.

    roger

    Roger Merriman, Oct 14, 2004
  8. prettygirl

    me Guest

    blanket statements aren't good.....

    From: "johns" <>
    Subject: Re: Firewall ???
    Date: Thursday, October 14, 2004 12:44 AM

    me, Oct 15, 2004
  9. prettygirl

    me Guest

    its windows..........enough said

    me, Oct 15, 2004
  10. prettygirl

    TopDog Guest

    Prettygirl: Quickly sell or throw away your computer! You should not use a
    computer.

    TopDog, Oct 15, 2004
  11. prettygirl

    prettygirl Guest

    "TopDog" <dlh7_at_yahoo_dot_com> wrote in

    > Prettygirl: Quickly sell or throw away your computer! You should not
    > use a computer.

    And just why is that?

    prettygirl, Oct 15, 2004
  12. prettygirl

    prettygirl Guest

    "johns" <> wrote in news:ckl0ce$1gd8$:

    >> Windows98
    >> So why do I need to run a firewall?

    > Windows98 ?????? You kidding ??????? What security
    > patches ?????? If you'll give us your ip-address, we'll
    > downld your C-drive.
    >
    > johns

    Really? How interesting.
    And just how would you go about doing that?

    prettygirl, Oct 15, 2004
  13. prettygirl

    donnie Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:39:35 GMT, prettygirl <> wrote:

    >"johns" <> wrote in news:ckl0ce$1gd8$:
    >

    >>> Windows98
    >>> So why do I need to run a firewall?

    >> Windows98 ?????? You kidding ??????? What security
    >> patches ?????? If you'll give us your ip-address, we'll
    >> downld your C-drive.
    >>
    >> johns
    >>

    >Really? How interesting.
    >And just how would you go about doing that?

    ###################
    He wouldn't unless the drive was shared or there was a trojan on the
    nachine.
    donnie.

    donnie, Oct 16, 2004
  14. prettygirl

    David Shaw Guest

    > All MS Windows patches installed

    I thought that Microsoft stopped supporting and creating patches for
    Windows 98? Just because Microsoft will no longer protect you, it
    doesn't mean new viruses and exploits cease to exist...

    -ds

    David Shaw, Oct 16, 2004
  15. prettygirl

    Celtic Leroy Guest

    donnie <> wrote:

    >>> Windows98 ?????? You kidding ??????? What security
    >>> patches ?????? If you'll give us your ip-address, we'll
    >>> downld your C-drive.
    >>>
    >>> johns
    >>>

    >>Really? How interesting.
    >>And just how would you go about doing that?

    >###################
    >He wouldn't unless the drive was shared or there was a trojan on the
    >nachine.
    >donnie.

    "Wouldn't" means that he has a choice and decides not to. I'm sure
    you meant "Couldn't", but even then you'd be wrong. There are many
    ways to gain access to a system via the internet (Including remote
    Logon) which do not require sharing or a programmatic presense.

    donnie, rather than making grand, all encompasing statements without
    the advantage of knowledge of the subject, it may better help this
    community if you just didn't respond. Then again, there are quite a
    few posters that should do that when the subject is beyond them.
    Those that know what I'm talking about are excluded from the equation!
    ;)

    Celtic Leroy, Oct 16, 2004
  16. prettygirl

    Jason Guest

    * prettygirl <>:
    > "johns" <> wrote in news:ckl0ce$1gd8$:
    >

    >>> Windows98
    >>> So why do I need to run a firewall?

    >> Windows98 ?????? You kidding ??????? What security
    >> patches ?????? If you'll give us your ip-address, we'll
    >> downld your C-drive.
    >>
    >> johns
    >>

    > Really? How interesting.
    > And just how would you go about doing that?

    Does anyone else not smell a trolll at work or is it just me?

    Jason

    Jason, Oct 16, 2004
  17. >Does anyone else not smell a trolll at work or is it just me?

    Which one? "johns" is obviously blowing smoke, but "PrettyGirl" asks a
    legitimate question. If no ports are open, an easy thing to do in W98, you
    really don't need a firewall.
    ?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com

    \Crash\ Dummy, Oct 16, 2004
  18. prettygirl

    prettygirl Guest

    Jason <> wrote in news:b5GdncPMddF6v-zcRVn-
    :

    @news.fsr.net:

    >>> Windows98 ?????? You kidding ??????? What security
    >>> patches ?????? If you'll give us your ip-address, we'll
    >>> downld your C-drive.
    >>>
    >>> johns
    >>>

    >> Really? How interesting.
    >> And just how would you go about doing that?

    > Does anyone else not smell a trolll at work or is it just me?
    >
    > Jason

    Is it just me or does anyone else smell someone who feels threatened?

    prettygirl, Oct 17, 2004
  19. prettygirl

    donnie Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:58:34 GMT, Celtic Leroy
    <> wrote:

    >There are many
    >ways to gain access to a system via the internet (Including remote
    >Logon) which do not require sharing or a programmatic presense.

    ######################
    It's not the first time, someone like yourself has claimed that they
    could hack a windows machine under those circumstances but when
    pressed for details, they never provide them.
    donnie.

    donnie, Oct 17, 2004
  20. >"Wouldn't" means that he has a choice and decides not to. I'm sure
    >you meant "Couldn't", but even then you'd be wrong. There are many
    >ways to gain access to a system via the internet (Including remote
    >Logon) which do not require sharing or a programmatic presense.

    All of which require an open port and something to receive an input.

    >donnie, rather than making grand, all encompasing statements without
    >the advantage of knowledge of the subject, it may better help this
    >community if you just didn't respond. Then again, there are quite a
    >few posters that should do that when the subject is beyond them.

    Advice you would do well to follow.

    >Those that know what I'm talking about are excluded from the equation!

    Those that know what you are talking about know that you don't.

    \Crash\ Dummy, Oct 17, 2004