    Cheers.
    Jim.

    ---

    Grandad, Apr 16, 2004

  2. Grandad wrote:

    > My firewall (Kerio) often puts up a message saying that someone from port
    > no. such & such wants to access my computer. Normally there is only a port
    > number mentioned so I don't know who it is.
    > I always deny them access but how can I tell if it is something I may want.
    > Is there somewhere I can find out who wants this access.
    > Cheers.
    > Jim.
    >

    > ---

    Yes, but. It is unlikely to be something that you want and the
    information may be misleading or not very informative. The window
    should tell you the sender's purported IP address and port number. You
    can look up the IP address to give you an idea of who it may be, if it
    isn't forged. The port number will give you an idea of what they would
    like to access on your machine.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 16, 2004

  3. Grandad

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:53:28 +0100, "Grandad" <>
    scribbled:

    >My firewall (Kerio) often puts up a message saying that someone from port
    >no. such & such wants to access my computer. Normally there is only a port
    >number mentioned so I don't know who it is.
    >I always deny them access but how can I tell if it is something I may want.
    >Is there somewhere I can find out who wants this access.
    >Cheers.

    Free Hint: You don't want ANY uninvited access to your machine
    by people you don't know.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Apr 16, 2004
  4. Grandad

    Grandad Guest

    "Palindrâ~»me" <> wrote in message
    > Grandad wrote:
    >
    > > My firewall (Kerio) often puts up a message saying that someone from

    port
    > > no. such & such wants to access my computer. Normally there is only a

    port
    > > number mentioned so I don't know who it is.
    > > I always deny them access but how can I tell if it is something I may

    want.
    > > Is there somewhere I can find out who wants this access.
    > > Cheers.
    > > Jim.
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > Yes, but. It is unlikely to be something that you want and the
    > information may be misleading or not very informative. The window
    > should tell you the sender's purported IP address and port number. You
    > can look up the IP address to give you an idea of who it may be, if it
    > isn't forged. The port number will give you an idea of what they would
    > like to access on your machine.

    I really should have said that it gave me the IP address and the port number
    it wants to access. But as I haven't got much knowledge on these matters, I
    still don't know how to find out who they are.
    How do I look up the IP address.
    Thanks. Jim.

    ---

    Grandad, Apr 16, 2004
  5. Grandad wrote:

    > "Palindrâ~»me" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Grandad wrote:
    >>

    >>>My firewall (Kerio) often puts up a message saying that someone from

    > port
    >
    >>>no. such & such wants to access my computer. Normally there is only a

    > port
    >
    >>>number mentioned so I don't know who it is.
    >>>I always deny them access but how can I tell if it is something I may

    > want.
    >
    >>>Is there somewhere I can find out who wants this access.
    >>>Cheers.
    >>> Jim.
    >>>

    >>>---
    >>>

    >>Yes, but. It is unlikely to be something that you want and the
    >>information may be misleading or not very informative. The window
    >>should tell you the sender's purported IP address and port number. You
    >>can look up the IP address to give you an idea of who it may be, if it
    >>isn't forged. The port number will give you an idea of what they would
    >>like to access on your machine.
    >>

    > I really should have said that it gave me the IP address and the port number
    > it wants to access. But as I haven't got much knowledge on these matters, I
    > still don't know how to find out who they are.
    > How do I look up the IP address.
    > Thanks. Jim.

    The port number in many ways is more interesting - at least it give a
    clue as to what may be being attempted. However, you can use:

    http://www.ripe.net/db/whois/whois.html

    To find out who "owns" the address - whether it is the owner that is
    using it, is another matter.

    Hope that helps! Don't worry overmuch - its the ones that don't flag
    warnings that you should be worrying about ;)

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 16, 2004
  6. Grandad

    Grandad Guest

    "Palindr?me" <> wrote in message
    > Grandad wrote:
    >
    > > "Palindrâ~»me" <> wrote in message

    > > port

    > > port

    > > want.

    > >>Yes, but. It is unlikely to be something that you want and the
    > >>information may be misleading or not very informative. The window
    > >>should tell you the sender's purported IP address and port number. You
    > >>can look up the IP address to give you an idea of who it may be, if it
    > >>isn't forged. The port number will give you an idea of what they would
    > >>like to access on your machine.
    > >>

    > > I really should have said that it gave me the IP address and the port

    number
    > > it wants to access. But as I haven't got much knowledge on these

    matters, I
    > > still don't know how to find out who they are.
    > > How do I look up the IP address.
    > > Thanks. Jim.
    > >

    > The port number in many ways is more interesting - at least it give a
    > clue as to what may be being attempted. However, you can use:
    >
    > http://www.ripe.net/db/whois/whois.html
    >
    > To find out who "owns" the address - whether it is the owner that is
    > using it, is another matter.
    >
    > Hope that helps! Don't worry overmuch - its the ones that don't flag
    > warnings that you should be worrying about ;)

    I appreciate your help in the matter.
    Kind regards. Jim.

    ---

    Grandad, Apr 16, 2004
  7. Grandad

    Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:37:19 +0100, "Grandad" <>
    wrote:

    >How do I look up the IP address.

    I've been using this nice freeware utility NetLab for a few years.
    It has a tabbed dialog with DNS and reverse DNS lookup,
    whois, scanning features, Time of Day to synchronize your
    PC clock, finger, trace, and other network utilities.

    You can download here:
    http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/network/fwnettools.shtml

    Don't let it bother you that it's V. 1.4 (c) 1998. I've used it on
    Win95/98/NT and now XP and it works fine. Totally freeware.

    , Apr 16, 2004
  8. Grandad

    Grandad Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:37:19 +0100, "Grandad" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >How do I look up the IP address.

    > I've been using this nice freeware utility NetLab for a few years.
    > It has a tabbed dialog with DNS and reverse DNS lookup,
    > whois, scanning features, Time of Day to synchronize your
    > PC clock, finger, trace, and other network utilities.
    >
    > You can download here:
    > http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/network/fwnettools.shtml
    >
    > Don't let it bother you that it's V. 1.4 (c) 1998. I've used it on
    > Win95/98/NT and now XP and it works fine. Totally freeware.

    Thanks for that. I have downloaded it and will give it a whirl.
    Cheers. Jim.>

    ---

    Grandad, Apr 16, 2004