    If anyobody can tell me what this warning means in simple language much
    appreciated.

    So far it seems the firewall is blocking it.

    Homachi, Jun 30, 2006

  2. Homachi

    Todd H. Guest

    Homachi <> writes:
    > I am on an wireless network with two other users next door and the
    > firewall I use, Outpost, has given me two equal
    > warnings saying this:
    >
    > "Host declares itself as gateway, Host 192.*.1.3 declares itself as
    > gateway instead of 192.*.1.1"
    >
    > The ips look exactly the same, the "*" its the same number in both
    > cases, the only thing that changes is that instead of ".1" it seems
    > ".3" is declaring itself as a gateway. This also happens with
    > 192.*.1.2
    >
    > If anyobody can tell me what this warning means in simple language
    > much appreciated.
    >
    > So far it seems the firewall is blocking it.

    Who controls the wireless router? What are the legit settings? Are
    these folks all supposed to be using the network? Do you feel this
    activity is normal for the network you have? What OS's are they
    running?

    To know what is anomalous, you need to define or learn what is
    normal.

    One guess as to what may be going on is that perhaps these hosts have
    a routing protocol enabled and are advertising themselves as the way
    off the network, or they're doing a DHCP offer, or.... it's hard to
    say based on what little info you've given about the network's
    intended operation.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Jun 30, 2006

  3. Homachi

    Homachi Guest

    The router is off limits I have no access to it whatsoever as it belongs
    to somebody I don't know, a friend who knows the admin gave me the
    pass and username. Network is on WEP, which I am aware is easily crackable
    but it is not my network so I cant say anything about it.

    Everyone is running Windows XP as far as I know as nobody here is too
    technichal, anything out of Windows would be like learning Chinese, we
    do not have the time or inclination for that.

    Thanks

    Homachi, Jun 30, 2006
  4. Homachi

    Todd H. Guest

    Homachi <> writes:
    > The router is off limits I have no access to it whatsoever as it belongs
    > to somebody I don't know, a friend who knows the admin gave me the
    > pass and username. Network is on WEP, which I am aware is easily crackable
    > but it is not my network so I cant say anything about it.
    >
    > Everyone is running Windows XP as far as I know as nobody here is too
    > technichal, anything out of Windows would be like learning Chinese, we
    > do not have the time or inclination for that.

    Hrmm. Doesn't sound like there should be aything funky going on on a
    relatively straightforward network like that. Perhaps a false
    positive.

    You might try whatever Outpost specific forum you can find.

    And by the way, you're breaking the law by using an encrypted wireless
    network without the owner's permission.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Jul 1, 2006
  5. Todd H. wrote:

    > And by the way, you're breaking the law by using an encrypted wireless
    > network without the owner's permission.

    If he didn't break the (lousy) encryption, but got the key provided at
    logon, he has been given permission.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Jul 1, 2006
  6. Homachi

    Homachi Guest

    I am not breaking the law, as I said I have a password and username set up
    by the owner and given to me with his permission, even if I don't know him

    Thank you for your help, I have now detected the same message from ip
    255.255.255.255 so it is probably a false warning.

    Homachi, Jul 2, 2006
  7. Homachi

    Notan Guest

    Homachi wrote:

    > I am not breaking the law, as I said I have a password and username set up
    > by the owner and given to me with his permission, even if I don't know him
    >
    > <snip>

    He knows you, but you don't know him?

    Very fishy.

    Notan