firewall trouble - Semi-rant

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. T.N.O

    T.N.O Guest

    Grrr, mostly just a rant, but no matter what firewall I use, it seems to
    eventually screw something up, and I lose DNS resolution for a good 10
    mins...

    Sofar the products used...

    Zone Alarm Free: Fine for three days, then borked, disabling it meant that
    net worked fine, but unprotected... not an option.

    Panda(integrated into virus scan): This was fine for a while, until the
    antivirus side of it kept asking me to register, but I didn't have the
    "purchase key", because I downloaded the free version with no key attached.
    They haven't answered the emails I sent to their support either in NZ or
    whatever the **** country they are from.

    Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to use
    it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.

    Zone Alarm Pro: See Zone Alarm Free.

    Outpost: See Zone Alarm Free.

    I don't have a spare machine(yay more space) so cant put IPcop or Smoothwall
    on anything.

    Anyone got any suggestions?

    Incidentally, If I do leave said firewalls enabled, it comes right after
    about 10 mins or so. If I use no firewall, it all work fine all night.

    T.N.O, Aug 26, 2003

  2. T.N.O

    Jason M Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:07:25 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:

    >Grrr, mostly just a rant, but no matter what firewall I use, it seems to
    >eventually screw something up, and I lose DNS resolution for a good 10
    >mins...

    >Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to use
    >it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.

    I'm using the Kerio firewall which I think is excellent and have no
    problems except that occasionally when I click on a link in IE there
    is a 20 second delay when nothing happens. I don't dare to turn the
    firewall off when there's half a dozen people hitting my machine every
    minute.

    Jason M, Aug 26, 2003

  3. T.N.O

    tim Guest

    I use Tiny Personal firewall. I highly recommend it. Be careful tho, I
    believe there is a newer version of it now that isn't freeware like the
    original and it is kind of bloatware. My version is 2.0

    I have used this software for at least three years, i have tried many others
    in that time but have always stuck to this program. It is minimal, stable,
    gives good control over rule creation, and you can save your ruleset for
    when u need to reinstall.

    hope it helps...

    dunno, some might disagree with using an older version of a program but then
    again package management is non existant on windows so it's a bitch to keep
    up to date with software...

    tim, Aug 26, 2003
  4. T.N.O

    Rupert Guest

    try sygate personal firewall - seems to do the trick for me - apart from
    when i need to connect to my companies VPN

    Rupert, Aug 26, 2003
  5. T.N.O

    colinco Guest

    In article <oFI2b.127724$>, "tim" <tim<no-
    spam>@tjv.info> says...
    > I use Tiny Personal firewall. I highly recommend it. Be careful tho, I
    > believe there is a newer version of it now that isn't freeware like the
    > original and it is kind of bloatware. My version is 2.0

    Your version progressed to become Kerio. The Tiny "suits" had a new
    software team to do Tiny 3

    colinco, Aug 26, 2003
  6. T.N.O

    Rob King Guest

    > Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to use
    > it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.

    <rant>
    KERIO is the name of the COMPANY. They used to be called Tiny Software.
    Now they are KERIO. Repeat after me K-E-R-I-O.
    </rant>

    Their Firewall software is one of three options:
    Winroute Firewall
    Winroute Pro
    Winroute Lite
    Winroute Personal Firewall

    I have used the first three and they have all been excellent products. If
    you are using the Personal Firewall, perhaps you might like to try Winroute
    Lite?

    Rob King, Aug 26, 2003
  7. T.N.O

    colinco Guest

    In article <3f4bd156$>, says...
    > Their Firewall software is one of three options:
    > Winroute Firewall
    > Winroute Pro
    > Winroute Lite
    > Winroute Personal Firewall

    If you're going to be dropping into Pedant mode - Kerio the company
    don't use "Winroute" in the description of their Personal Firewall.

    "Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) is a software agent that builds a barrier
    between your personal computer and the Internet. KPF is designed to
    protect your PC against attacks from both the Internet, and other
    computers in the local network."

    colinco, Aug 27, 2003
  8. T.N.O

    Rob King Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3f4bd156$>, says...
    > > Their Firewall software is one of three options:
    > > Winroute Firewall
    > > Winroute Pro
    > > Winroute Lite
    > > Winroute Personal Firewall
    > >

    > If you're going to be dropping into Pedant mode - Kerio the company
    > don't use "Winroute" in the description of their Personal Firewall.
    >
    > "Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) is a software agent that builds a barrier
    > between your personal computer and the Internet. KPF is designed to
    > protect your PC against attacks from both the Internet, and other
    > computers in the local network."

    Yip, fair point.

    Rob King, Aug 27, 2003
  9. T.N.O

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:07:25 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:

    >Grrr, mostly just a rant, but no matter what firewall I use, it seems to
    >eventually screw something up, and I lose DNS resolution for a good 10
    >mins...
    >
    >Sofar the products used...
    >
    >Zone Alarm Free: Fine for three days, then borked, disabling it meant that
    >net worked fine, but unprotected... not an option.
    >
    >Panda(integrated into virus scan): This was fine for a while, until the
    >antivirus side of it kept asking me to register, but I didn't have the
    >"purchase key", because I downloaded the free version with no key attached.
    >They haven't answered the emails I sent to their support either in NZ or
    >whatever the **** country they are from.
    >
    >Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to use
    >it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.
    >
    >Zone Alarm Pro: See Zone Alarm Free.
    >
    >Outpost: See Zone Alarm Free.
    >
    >I don't have a spare machine(yay more space) so cant put IPcop or Smoothwall
    >on anything.
    >
    >Anyone got any suggestions?
    >
    >Incidentally, If I do leave said firewalls enabled, it comes right after
    >about 10 mins or so. If I use no firewall, it all work fine all night.

    Sygate Personal Firewall.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 27, 2003
  10. T.N.O

    T.N.O Guest

    "Kristofer Clayton" wrote
    > >Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to

    use
    > >it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.

    > It's great, it's fast, it uses bugger-all resources, and my PC's
    > uptime is currently 18 days with no issues with DNS resolution.

    Not my experience, shit happens.

    > What OS you having the problem on?
    > I'm running XP Professional.

    Same, all updates, SP's etc.
    Running naked at the moment, and no hassles with DNS, so I assume it must be
    something to do with firewall software interaction with the OS.

    T.N.O, Aug 27, 2003
  11. On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:34:59 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:

    >Same, all updates, SP's etc.
    >Running naked at the moment, and no hassles with DNS, so I assume it must be
    >something to do with firewall software interaction with the OS.

    I'm running XP pro, all updates installed, no problems at all.

    John Hornblow, Aug 27, 2003
  12. T.N.O

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Running naked at the moment, and no hassles with DNS, so I assume it must be
    > something to do with firewall software interaction with the OS.

    I can't say I've been having DNS hassles but recently on 2 PCs I get a
    lot of "site not found" but only trying to get Google

    colinco, Aug 28, 2003