    web filtering it is good but not good enough because i can't host games with
    out turning the security down with is useless. so help me out if you could.
    thanks
    Nick, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Nick

    Stickems Guest

    Dear Nick,
    I have read a few of your postings and in each of them you humbly ask for
    help. No need, this is a help group and kow-towing is not necessary, indeed
    it tends to put me off.

    Stickems, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Nick

    Unknown Guest

    Use the firewall that is with XP.

    Unknown, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Nick

    Nick Guest

    This is an old post... I'm using Outpost now as recommended by Mike...
    Thanks Mike

    Nick, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Nick

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    > Use the firewall that is with XP.
    > "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > > Do anyone know of a good firewall program. I use to use zonealarm pro

    with
    > > web filtering it is good but not good enough because i can't host games

    with
    > > out turning the security down with is useless. so help me out if you

    could.
    > > thanks

    Yes, XP FW does its job of stopping unsolicited inbound traffic to the
    machine, because it's an application proxy FW application and is a stateful
    application as well.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q321050#appliesto

    However, XP's current version of the FW cannot stop outbound traffic. But
    there is another element on the XP O/S that can stop inbound or outbound and
    can do it by IP, protocol, port, DNS (stop the machine from accessing
    www.microsoft.com if domain name is given), or subnet and that's IPsec.

    http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

    The AnalogX SecPol file when implemented will allow IPsec to supplement any
    host based FW and
    provides instant protection. And IPsec is a stateful application too.

    One has the AnalogX base rules and can easily make a Secpol rule for
    anything like a Game service specifying inbound and outbound ports and
    protocols used for the game program.

    One can do the same with ICF making a Game service specifying the inbound
    ports and protocols if need be.

    http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1559

    The combination of the ICF and IPsec to supplement is rock solid protection.

    But the protection starts with the O/S and everything else is secondary to
    the O/S. If the O/S is not secure, then nothing on the machine is secure.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 6, 2004