    Interesting programme and website.

    http://keir.net/firehole.html

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Mar 2, 2004

  2. PseUDO wrote:
    > Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
    > Kerio passes.
    > Interesting programme and website.
    > http://keir.net/firehole.html

    I'm pretty sure that this was patched a while ago... but yeah, I'll have
    to check on that as it was ages ago.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 2, 2004

  3. PseUDO

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:39:15 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
    >Kerio passes.

    The message I got was
    "Either the program failed to connect or more likely it did not
    recognise your web browser"

    It launched IE OK. I'm using Outpost.

    Cheers, Kooky
    Kookaburra, Mar 2, 2004
  4. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > PseUDO wrote:
    >
    >> Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
    >> Kerio passes.
    >> Interesting programme and website.
    >> http://keir.net/firehole.html

    > I'm pretty sure that this was patched a while ago... but yeah, I'll have
    > to check on that as it was ages ago.

    The firehole programme is pretty old, it managed to get through the
    latest version of Zone Alarm, which suprised me!, but Kerio brings up a
    warning message.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Mar 2, 2004
  5. PseUDO

    Wizard Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
    > Kerio passes.
    >
    > Interesting programme and website.
    >
    > http://keir.net/firehole.html
    >
    > PseUDO

    At the beginning of the article, I note the following...

    Updated 3/25/2002 8:23AM

    That's 2 years ago!!
    Wizard, Mar 2, 2004
  6. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    Wizard wrote:

    > "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
    >>Kerio passes.
    >>
    >>Interesting programme and website.
    >>
    >>http://keir.net/firehole.html
    >>
    >>PseUDO

    > At the beginning of the article, I note the following...
    >
    > Updated 3/25/2002 8:23AM
    >
    > That's 2 years ago!!

    Yeah i was in the Mozilla Thunderbird forum reading this thread

    about Zone Alarm, when somebody in their said that they had switched
    from Zone Alarm to Kerio, due to the vulnerability in ZA, thats how i
    came across the firehole programme.

    I would of thought after 2 years that ZA would have been patched for a
    vulnerability like this!.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Mar 2, 2004
  7. PseUDO

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:21:30 +1300, Kookaburra <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:39:15 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
    >>Kerio passes.
    >>

    >The message I got was
    >"Either the program failed to connect or more likely it did not
    >recognise your web browser"
    >
    >It launched IE OK. I'm using Outpost.

    Same message here. Mozilla 1.5 is my default, and ZA Pro.
    Invisible, Mar 2, 2004
  8. PseUDO

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    In news:m_V0c.29957$,
    PseUDO <> typed:
    > Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
    > Kerio passes.
    >
    > Interesting programme and website.
    >
    > http://keir.net/firehole.html
    >
    > PseUDO

    Interesting.........

    I'm using IPCop at home and firehole on one of the machines behind that box.
    The program itself displayed the "CONNECTED! Message was sent successfully"
    message at the bottom but my browser did not display the message that's
    supposed to look like:

    Message from user "rkeir" on computer WIN2K [192.168.1.100] at 11/06/01
    19:37:38
    ***** I have successfully bypassed the personal firewall! *****

    I'm not that network savvy so what does this mean? I'm running SlimBrowser.

    Cheers,
    Dany.
    Dany P. Wu, Mar 2, 2004
  9. PseUDO

    bambam Guest

    Kookaburra <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:39:15 +1300, PseUDO <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm
    >>Fails!!, Kerio passes.
    >>

    > The message I got was
    > "Either the program failed to connect or more likely it did not
    > recognise your web browser"
    >
    > It launched IE OK. I'm using Outpost.

    I got the same message with Kerio 2.1.5 + FireFox, so I set Opera as my
    default browser and ran Firehole again, this time Opera opened and I
    got "message sent successfully" and no complaints from Kerio.
    I found one 2 year old firewall test in which all failed the Firehole
    test-

    http://www.pcflank.com/art21.htm

    Can anybody else get Kerio to fail? What warning message does Kerio
    bring up?
    I'm using Proxomitron as a filter/proxy, but I can't see how that would
    make a difference.

    --
    Avoid parking tickets by leaving your windshield wipers turned to fast
    wipe whenever you leave your car parked illegally.
    bambam, Mar 2, 2004
  10. PseUDO

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:09:14 +1300, Dany P. Wu wrote:

    > I'm using IPCop at home and firehole on one of the machines behind that
    > box. The program itself displayed the "CONNECTED! Message was sent
    > successfully" message at the bottom but my browser did not display the
    > message that's supposed to look like:
    >
    > Message from user "rkeir" on computer WIN2K [192.168.1.100] at 11/06/01
    > 19:37:38
    > ***** I have successfully bypassed the personal firewall! *****
    >
    > I'm not that network savvy so what does this mean? I'm running
    > SlimBrowser.

    It probably means the packets successfully left the NIC of your machine,
    but because of IPCop they either didn't make it to the net, or the
    response didn't make it back (more likely).

    But I don't use any of those bits of software, so I'm only guessing.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Mar 2, 2004
  11. PseUDO

    Dave Taylor Guest

    > Interesting.........
    >
    > I'm using IPCop at home and firehole on one of the machines behind
    > that box. The program itself displayed the "CONNECTED! Message was
    > sent successfully" message at the bottom but my browser did not
    > display the message that's supposed to look like:
    >
    > Message from user "rkeir" on computer WIN2K [192.168.1.100] at
    > 11/06/01 19:37:38
    > ***** I have successfully bypassed the personal firewall! *****
    >
    > I'm not that network savvy so what does this mean? I'm running
    > SlimBrowser.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dany.

    Go read about what the program does. Your computer asked to go to the
    internet, IPCop said ok, that is my job, and let it go. IPCop is fine,
    your computer is fine. IPCop is not a personal firewall.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 3, 2004
  12. PseUDO

    Dave Taylor Guest

    PseUDO <> wrote in news:m_V0c.29957$ws.3309423
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
    > Kerio passes.
    >
    > Interesting programme and website.
    >
    > http://keir.net/firehole.html
    >
    > PseUDO

    Zone alarm PRO will ask about DLL loading. Firehole will fail with ZA
    Pro.
    Firehole should fail on any personal firewalls that check for dll's
    asking to launch IE.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 3, 2004
  13. PseUDO

    Dave Taylor Guest

    PseUDO <> wrote in news:e1X0c.29971$ws.3311416
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > I would of thought after 2 years that ZA would have been patched for a
    > vulnerability like this!.
    >
    > PseUDO

    It is not a vulnerability. A program has asked to open IE, and connect
    for it, so it does. Many help sections in applications do this. ZA Free
    does not check for this function. ZA Pro does.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 3, 2004