Firewall screwed up XP network settings

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?aWRvZXNo?=, May 24, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I recently uninstalled NIS 2005 and embarked on a quest for better AV and
    Firewall software. On the AV front I found NOD32 and stuck with it.
    With the firewall it was a bit more complicated - I tried Outpost Pro and I
    think that either it or the complete uninstall of NIS screwed up some of my
    network settings in XP. I have since uninstalled OP and have tried, with no
    luck, to solve these problems firewall-free.

    Here are the three problems I encountered:
    1. Windows Update would not download updates -I found it to be a problem
    with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service - only a repair install of
    XP solved that problem.

    2. Access to my Router User interface (through IE) has become quite slow,
    with pages taking their time to load. I haven't found a solution yet.

    3. I use a mail tagging program called MSGTAG – and since I uninstalled NIS
    / installed Outpost Firewall Pro I can't send any messages through it. I
    tried a few methods to resolve this issue and interestingly, when I connect
    directly to my DSL modem through a PPPoE connection - mail is sent through
    MSGTAG without a problem. On the other hand, when I send a message through
    MSGTAG from another computer on the network, connected to my router - it is
    sent as well...so the problem is not within the router. Even with no firewall
    installed - messages still aren't being sent.

    It seems as though the install / uninstall has resulted in some changes to
    my network settings or protocols. Nothing I checked "on the surface" seems to
    be wrong - all tcpip, dhcp settings look OK.

    Are there any hidden registry settings that I've missed?
    Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated...

    Much thanks in advance!
    =?Utf-8?B?aWRvZXNo?=, May 24, 2005

  2. Sorry - posted in the wrong Newsgroup...my appologies
    =?Utf-8?B?aWRvZXNo?=, May 24, 2005