Firewall recommendation?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Pleb Plebian, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Pleb Plebian

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    I've been using ZoneAlarm (pro) until recently: uninstalled it when my
    laptop started hanging on startup and generally doing bad things.
    Have run both SpyBot and Ad-aware, plus use AVG and have run HouseCall
    (connected thru a firewalled router at home) so am confident the machine is
    spyware free.

    However: I'm now in the market for a well-behaved software firewall for the
    laptop when on the road.
    OS:Win ME (I know -but there are reasons out of my control on this)-and no,
    I won't be switching to Linux!
    Have tried Kerio-and TBH, am unhappy about anything which phones home
    without the ability for this 'feature' to be disabled.

    What else is out there for Win platforms that ppl would recommend?
    The smaller the better (in terms of footprint: this is a P-IIIM/256 MB its
    running on).
    Free is nice but not essential, so long as there's a trial period.

    TIA for any and all suggestions
    -Darl
    Pleb Plebian, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Pleb Plebian

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "koopsta" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:36:28 +1200, Pleb Plebian wrote:
    >
    > > I've been using ZoneAlarm (pro) until recently: uninstalled it when my
    > > laptop started hanging on startup and generally doing bad things.

    <snip>

    > When on windows, I always go for Sygate (personal firewall pro version).
    > http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_pro.htm

    Thanks very much! Am downloading the trial as I type..
    Cheers
    -D
    Pleb Plebian, Apr 26, 2005

  3. Pleb Plebian

    koopsta Guest

    koopsta, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Pleb Plebian

    Nova Guest

    Pleb Plebian wrote:
    > I've been using ZoneAlarm (pro) until recently: uninstalled it when my
    > laptop started hanging on startup and generally doing bad things.
    > Have run both SpyBot and Ad-aware, plus use AVG and have run HouseCall
    > (connected thru a firewalled router at home) so am confident the machine is
    > spyware free.
    >
    > However: I'm now in the market for a well-behaved software firewall for the
    > laptop when on the road.
    > OS:Win ME (I know -but there are reasons out of my control on this)-and no,
    > I won't be switching to Linux!
    > Have tried Kerio-and TBH, am unhappy about anything which phones home
    > without the ability for this 'feature' to be disabled.
    >
    > What else is out there for Win platforms that ppl would recommend?
    > The smaller the better (in terms of footprint: this is a P-IIIM/256 MB its
    > running on).
    > Free is nice but not essential, so long as there's a trial period.
    >
    > TIA for any and all suggestions
    > -Darl

    I would definitely recommend sygate, very nice firewall, very easy to
    configure but you can also setup very advanced rules if you need to.
    Nova, Apr 26, 2005
  5. On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:36:28 +1200, "Pleb Plebian"
    <> wrote:

    >I've been using ZoneAlarm (pro) until recently: uninstalled it when my
    >laptop started hanging on startup and generally doing bad things.
    >Have run both SpyBot and Ad-aware, plus use AVG and have run HouseCall
    >(connected thru a firewalled router at home) so am confident the machine is
    >spyware free.

    But you're running an old unsupported version of IE
    LOL
    FreedomChooser, Apr 26, 2005
  6. Pleb Plebian

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "Pleb Plebian" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    Thanks koopsta and Nova: have played with Sygate personal firewall for the
    last day or so and have just purchased the Pro version.
    Extremely happy with the performance!
    Appreciate the suggestion and comments,
    Best Regards
    -Darl
    Pleb Plebian, Apr 27, 2005
  7. Pleb Plebian

    Mutley Guest

    Also have a look at www.kerio.com for their personal firewall.
    Mutley, Apr 28, 2005
  8. On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:36:28 +1200, "Pleb Plebian"
    <> wrote:

    >I've been using ZoneAlarm (pro) until recently: uninstalled it when my
    >laptop started hanging on startup and generally doing bad things.
    >Have run both SpyBot and Ad-aware, plus use AVG and have run HouseCall
    >(connected thru a firewalled router at home) so am confident the machine is
    >spyware free.
    >
    >However: I'm now in the market for a well-behaved software firewall for the
    >laptop when on the road.
    >OS:Win ME (I know -but there are reasons out of my control on this)-and no,
    >I won't be switching to Linux!
    >Have tried Kerio-and TBH, am unhappy about anything which phones home
    >without the ability for this 'feature' to be disabled.
    >
    >What else is out there for Win platforms that ppl would recommend?
    >The smaller the better (in terms of footprint: this is a P-IIIM/256 MB its
    >running on).

    Not reallt sure what your problem is

    A P-IIIM with 256 MB is a very quick platform and will run even XP
    well
    FreedomChooser, May 3, 2005
  9. Pleb Plebian

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "FreedomChooser" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:36:28 +1200, "Pleb Plebian"
    > <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > Not reallt sure what your problem is
    >
    > A P-IIIM with 256 MB is a very quick platform and will run even XP
    > well

    Not reallt <sic> sure what _yours_ is....first you appear to have a problem
    with the news client I use (which works for me....or am _I_ not allowed
    'freedom-to-choose'??) - now you appear to be advising me to upgrade to XP
    when I've stated I will be staying with ME (for my own reasons)...and even
    if I did...I'd still need a firewall (I don't consider XP's adequate).
    AFAICT you're either trolling or are simply incapable of giving *useful*
    advise: its not like this is an inappropropriate topic for this group -and
    as provided by both koopsta and Nova (thanks again guys!), a great solution
    was out there....
    Ah well...
    *plonk*
    Pleb Plebian, May 3, 2005
  10. On Tue, 3 May 2005 20:19:23 +1200, "Pleb Plebian"
    <> wrote:

    >"FreedomChooser" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:36:28 +1200, "Pleb Plebian"
    >> <> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >> Not reallt sure what your problem is
    >>
    >> A P-IIIM with 256 MB is a very quick platform and will run even XP
    >> well
    >>

    >Not reallt <sic> sure what _yours_ is....first you appear to have a problem
    >with the news client I use (which works for me....or am _I_ not allowed
    >'freedom-to-choose'??) - now you appear to be advising me to upgrade to XP
    >when I've stated I will be staying with ME (for my own reasons)...and even
    >if I did...I'd still need a firewall (I don't consider XP's adequate).
    >AFAICT you're either trolling or are simply incapable of giving *useful*
    >advise: its not like this is an inappropropriate topic for this group -and
    >as provided by both koopsta and Nova (thanks again guys!), a great solution
    >was out there....
    >Ah well...
    >*plonk*

    Moron
    You claimed you need a "small foootprint" because of your CPU and RAM
    When in fact that system should run WinME and apps like lightening
    FreedomChooser, May 3, 2005