    In looking at some possibilities I have not been able to see
    this specific capability!

    Thanks.

    Rick Merrill, Dec 28, 2006

  2. Rick Merrill

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I'm looking for a Hardware Firewall that can
    > be given a whitelist of IP addresses to permit
    > to use FTP.
    >
    > In looking at some possibilities I have not been able to see
    > this specific capability!

    Most firewall appliances do this, in fact, those that don't offer this
    ability are not really firewalls, they are most likely NAT routers
    claiming to be firewalls.

    The cheapest solution I know if, hardware, is the DFL-700 series
    firewall from D-Link, the best solutions I know of come from WatchGuard,
    but neither company makes a "cheap" solution, they start around $300 and
    up.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Dec 28, 2006

  3. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> I'm looking for a Hardware Firewall that can
    >> be given a whitelist of IP addresses to permit
    >> to use FTP.
    >>
    >> In looking at some possibilities I have not been able to see
    >> this specific capability!

    > Most firewall appliances do this, in fact, those that don't offer this
    > ability are not really firewalls, they are most likely NAT routers
    > claiming to be firewalls.
    >
    > The cheapest solution I know if, hardware, is the DFL-700 series
    > firewall from D-Link, the best solutions I know of come from WatchGuard,
    > but neither company makes a "cheap" solution, they start around $300 and
    > up.

    Thanks!!!! I've contacted WatchGuard and they're sending a quote and a
    URL for a manual!

    Rick Merrill, Dec 28, 2006
  4. Rick Merrill

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> I'm looking for a Hardware Firewall that can
    > >> be given a whitelist of IP addresses to permit
    > >> to use FTP.
    > >>
    > >> In looking at some possibilities I have not been able to see
    > >> this specific capability!

    > > Most firewall appliances do this, in fact, those that don't offer this
    > > ability are not really firewalls, they are most likely NAT routers
    > > claiming to be firewalls.
    > >
    > > The cheapest solution I know if, hardware, is the DFL-700 series
    > > firewall from D-Link, the best solutions I know of come from WatchGuard,
    > > but neither company makes a "cheap" solution, they start around $300 and
    > > up.
    > >

    > Thanks!!!! I've contacted WatchGuard and they're sending a quote and a
    > URL for a manual!

    What one did they suggest for your requirement? I've got about 60+
    currnetly in the field and just spec'd 3 more for a pharmacy group.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Dec 28, 2006
  5. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Leythos wrote:
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Most firewall appliances do this, in fact, those that don't offer this
    >>> ability are not really firewalls, they are most likely NAT routers
    >>> claiming to be firewalls.
    >>>
    >>> The cheapest solution I know if, hardware, is the DFL-700 series
    >>> firewall from D-Link, the best solutions I know of come from WatchGuard,
    >>> but neither company makes a "cheap" solution, they start around $300 and
    >>> up.
    >>>

    >> Thanks!!!! I've contacted WatchGuard and they're sending a quote and a
    >> URL for a manual!

    > What one did they suggest for your requirement? I've got about 60+
    > currnetly in the field and just spec'd 3 more for a pharmacy group.

    Well, their man recommended the "X10E" (12 x ports 10/100) - sounds
    like overkill for what I need.

    Rick Merrill, Dec 29, 2006
  6. Rick Merrill

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Thanks!!!! I've contacted WatchGuard and they're sending a quote and a
    > >> URL for a manual!

    > > What one did they suggest for your requirement? I've got about 60+
    > > currnetly in the field and just spec'd 3 more for a pharmacy group.
    > >

    > Well, their man recommended the "X10E" (12 x ports 10/100) - sounds
    > like overkill for what I need.

    The lower end units they provide are limited in the number of
    connections (a connection is anything that uses an IP) on the LAN. Their
    higher end units are unlimited in LAN connections, but they are a LOT
    more expensive.

    The DFL-700 is not limited, provides a WAN, LAN, DMZ jack and then you
    can add your own switch to the network to get the number of ports that
    you need.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Dec 29, 2006
  7. Rick Merrill

    Guest

    You may want to look at SonicWall's offerings. I admin a pretty large
    network. We use Juniper/NetScreen firewalls at the core and they would
    most likely be overkill as well. Any device that can provide a level of
    access control based on network layer (layer 3) addressing would be
    sufficient. You should just flag the traffic destined for port 21 and
    check it against a valid list of addresses. You can accomplish this
    easily with a PRO 100 SonicWall or a primitive Cisco router (1700
    series) using access-control lists.

    Any further questions are welcome. Thanks.

    -Kurtis

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Thanks!!!! I've contacted WatchGuard and they're sending a quote and a
    > >> URL for a manual!

    > > What one did they suggest for your requirement? I've got about 60+
    > > currnetly in the field and just spec'd 3 more for a pharmacy group.
    > >

    > Well, their man recommended the "X10E" (12 x ports 10/100) - sounds
    > like overkill for what I need.

    , Jan 10, 2007
  8. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    > You may want to look at SonicWall's offerings. I admin a pretty large
    > network. We use Juniper/NetScreen firewalls at the core and they would
    > most likely be overkill as well. Any device that can provide a level of
    > access control based on network layer (layer 3) addressing would be
    > sufficient. You should just flag the traffic destined for port 21 and
    > check it against a valid list of addresses. You can accomplish this
    > easily with a PRO 100 SonicWall or a primitive Cisco router (1700
    > series) using access-control lists.
    >
    > Any further questions are welcome. Thanks.
    >
    > -Kurtis

    Thanks for the lead!

    Rick Merrill, Jan 10, 2007