    t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall, other than being
    free?

    Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Ctrl+Alt+Del_356, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Night_Seer Guest

    Ctrl+Alt+Del_356 wrote:
    > I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions start
    > emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband, firewalls,
    > etc., I need some advice. But first, here is what I have.
    >
    > My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works.
    > Just slow, like me). Both are using Windows 98se.
    >
    > I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at a
    > later time.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware
    > firewall to cover both?
    >
    > 2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
    > ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I
    > shouldn' t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall,
    > other than being free?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your advice.

    Actually I have been liking Zone Alarm less and less. I use kerio
    personal firewall now, and have heard pretty good things about CA
    ezFirewall. I would say that should be fine for your uses.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Ctrl+Alt+Del_356" <> wrote in

    > I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions start
    > emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband, firewalls, etc.,
    > I need some advice. But first, here is what I have.
    >
    > My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works. Just
    > slow, like me). Both are using Windows 98se.
    >
    > I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at a
    > later time.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware
    > firewall to cover both?
    >
    > 2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
    > ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I
    > shouldn' t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall,
    > other than being free?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your advice.

    You'll want to get a NAT router and put it in front of the machines,
    because a NAT router will stop the attacks and scans of unsolicited
    inbound traffic and the machines with their O/S and host based FW will
    not have to burn the machine's resources to stop the attacks and scans.
    Your machines can spend their resources doing more productive things for
    you, instead of beating off the attacks.

    However, a cheap NAT router cannot stop outbound connections, since it
    doesn't have a real FW and you'll need a host based FW on the machine
    that will do that.

    You should find a host based FW that eill meet your needs. All fo them
    have full version trial ware you can try.

    You can get a NAT router on sale for $20 big ones.

    Duane :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:37:40 -0600, "Ctrl+Alt+Del_356" <>
    wrote:

    >I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions start
    >emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband, firewalls, etc., I
    >need some advice. But first, here is what I have.
    >
    >My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works. Just slow,
    >like me). Both are using Windows 98se.
    >
    >I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at a later
    >time.
    >
    >Questions:
    >
    >1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware firewall
    >to cover both?

    Yes...follow Duane's advice. OEM routers are only $15-20 nowadays.

    >2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
    >ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I shouldn'
    >t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall, other than being
    >free?

    The free Zone Alarm is garbage! EZ products are all good...but I
    haven't run the premium ZA to offer an opinion on your question.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!
    Trent©, Jan 21, 2004
  5. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Jerry G. Guest

    A hardware firewall is the best. It would go between the Ethernet card and
    the DSL modem. You can also put on a low cost router that has a built in
    firewall. I found that most of these firewall software's were a lot of
    problems, and used too many resources. If you have Windows XP with SP 1,
    there should be a built in firewall.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Jan 21, 2004
  6. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Me Guest

    How effective is this built in firewall? I am always a bit sceptical when it
    comes to 'built in' add on's.

    Me, Jan 21, 2004
  7. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Me Guest

    That wasn't worded very well. I should have said 'built-in' accessories.

    Me, Jan 21, 2004
  8. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in

    > That wasn't worded very well. I should have said 'built-in'
    > accessories.
    >

    > "Me" <> wrote in message
    >> How effective is this built in firewall? I am always a bit sceptical
    >> when

    > it
    >> comes to 'built in' add on's.
    >>

    >> "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >> > A hardware firewall is the best. It would go between the Ethernet
    >> > card

    >> and
    >> > the DSL modem. You can also put on a low cost router that has a
    >> > built

    > in
    >> > firewall. I found that most of these firewall software's were a
    >> > lot of problems, and used too many resources. If you have Windows
    >> > XP with SP

    > 1,
    >> > there should be a built in firewall.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Greetings,
    >> >
    >> > Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    >> > =========================================
    >> > WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
    >> > Electronics http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
    >> > =========================================
    >> >

    >> > "Ctrl+Alt+Del_356" <> wrote in message
    >> > I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions
    >> > start emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband,
    >> > firewalls, etc., I need some advice. But first, here is what I
    >> > have.
    >> >
    >> > My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works.
    >> > Just

    >> slow,
    >> > like me). Both are using Windows 98se.
    >> >
    >> > I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at

    > later
    >> > time.
    >> >
    >> > Questions:
    >> >
    >> > 1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware

    >> firewall
    >> > to cover both?
    >> >
    >> > 2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
    >> > ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I

    >> shouldn'
    >> > t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall, other
    >> > than

    >> being
    >> > free?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for your advice.

    What are you talking about? The ICF on XP is a good as any third party
    host based FW in stopping unsolicited inbound traffic to the machine.
    However, ICF on XP cannot stop outbound traffic. That's why IPsec is on
    the XP O/S that can stop outbound traffic to IP(s), port(s), protocol(s),
    DNS(s), etc.

    SP2 for XP which will be released later this year will be improving the
    ICF on XP. Search Google on the XP SP2 write up.

    the basics

    http://www.petri.co.il/ipsec_block_ping.htm

    more advanced

    http://lists.gpick.com/pages/IP_Security_(IPSec).htm

    IMHO, the protection starts with the O/S and everything else is secondary
    to it, including the FW, router, and AV.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 21, 2004
  9. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Me Guest

    Thank you.

    Me, Jan 21, 2004
  10. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in

    > A hardware firewall is the best. It would go between the Ethernet
    > card and the DSL modem. You can also put on a low cost router that
    > has a built in firewall. I found that most of these firewall
    > software's were a lot of problems, and used too many resources. If
    > you have Windows XP with SP 1, there should be a built in firewall.

    Yes, a hardware applince is the best. But a NAt router for home or home
    office usage that may or may not be using SPI doen't have a real FW.

    An appliance such as a WatchGuard appliance has a real FW that meets the
    specs below.

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html

    I use a cheap Linksys.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 21, 2004
  11. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Thor Guest

    It doesn't block outgoing connections, only incoming. Basically, it's no
    more effective than a NAT router. But IMHO, if you are just a home user,
    have a decent up-to-date antivirus and keep your system spyware-free, and
    your downloading habits don't skew into the scummier places of the net for
    pirateware, then all you really need is the NAT router, or windows firewall.

    Thor, Jan 21, 2004
  12. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    mike Guest

    If you plan on connecting both pc's to broadband you will certainly need a
    connection to share the uplink ie. a modem with more then one port in it a
    hub or a router now I don't know about you isp but ours has dynamic ips that
    change more often then my mind does, pretty much every time my node reboots.
    So you have a set of variables you have to work with
    1: Do you require consistancy in your ip for gaming or ftp site or vpn or
    any other type of over the internet service?

    2: You certainly require some kind of firewall for an always on broadband
    service software or hardware

    3 You need to connect more then one pc to the internet

    The choice to me is an obvious one

    A broadband nat firewalled router

    ok having said that there are many on the market to choose from and a
    varying degree of prices

    In my opinion netgear is probably the best bang for your buck just because
    of the expreince I have had with it and the fact that you don't have to
    reboot it to make changes (retains IP) But they are a little more expensive
    I have used smc linksys and dlinks as well, the smc being the cheapest and
    more prone lock ups. You can probably get a dlink for well under 100
    bucks.The experience I have had with these is if they are going to fail they
    do it in the first week or right out of the box usually well within the
    warranty. Do some of your own research at their sites and see which one fits
    the bill for you

    mike, Jan 21, 2004
  13. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mike" <> wrote in

    > In my opinion netgear is probably the best bang for your buck just
    > because of the expreince I have had with it and the fact that you
    > don't have to reboot it to make changes (retains IP) But they are a
    > little more expensive I have used smc linksys and dlinks as well, the
    > smc being the cheapest and more prone lock ups. You can probably get a
    > dlink for well under 100 bucks.The experience I have had with these is
    > if they are going to fail they do it in the first week or right out of
    > the box usually well within the warranty. Do some of your own research
    > at their sites and see which one fits the bill for you

    I've installed 4 linksys routers this year, and 1 netgear. No problem with
    any of the linksys ones, the Netgear one is a bitch though. It's a
    wire/wireless router and it continually drops wireless clients, and
    occasionally (once a week or so) needs to be rebooted because WAN traffic
    stops flowing.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004
  14. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "mike" <> wrote in
    >
    >> In my opinion netgear is probably the best bang for your buck just
    >> because of the expreince I have had with it and the fact that you
    >> don't have to reboot it to make changes (retains IP) But they are a
    >> little more expensive I have used smc linksys and dlinks as well, the
    >> smc being the cheapest and more prone lock ups. You can probably get
    >> a dlink for well under 100 bucks.The experience I have had with
    >> these is if they are going to fail they do it in the first week or
    >> right out of the box usually well within the warranty. Do some of
    >> your own research at their sites and see which one fits the bill for
    >> you
    >>

    > I've installed 4 linksys routers this year, and 1 netgear. No
    > problem with any of the linksys ones, the Netgear one is a bitch
    > though. It's a wire/wireless router and it continually drops
    > wireless clients, and occasionally (once a week or so) needs to be
    > rebooted because WAN traffic stops flowing.

    Then again I have a Linksys Wireless router that works seamlessly with a
    Linksys Wireless print server, but a toshiba laptop with built in
    802.11b wireless card will just NOT hold a signal.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 21, 2004
  15. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Me Guest

    Thanks Thor.

    Me, Jan 21, 2004
  16. Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > Then again I have a Linksys Wireless router that works seamlessly with a
    > Linksys Wireless print server, but a toshiba laptop with built in
    > 802.11b wireless card will just NOT hold a signal.

    The saying goes that some NIC's wired or wireless don't play well with some
    routers wired or wireless.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 22, 2004
  17. Bear in mind that only WinXP has the built-in firewall and you certainly
    won't be upgrading the 266 machine to XP. (Don't think you can, but even
    if it's possible I doubt if you'll want to.)

    I'd go with either a hardware firewall, basically because a software
    firewall will probably run like s**t on that 266, or with proxy software
    (ICS is built-in to Win98 IIRC) and a software firewall on the 1133.

    The latter option is cheap, but it means that your 1133 will need to be
    on for your 266 to access the Internet. The former option requires
    purchasing some hardware but it need not be expensive. Netgear makes
    pretty decent firewalls for under $150 and if that's too much then you
    could probably get by with a NAT router. Those aren't true firewalls but
    would probably be sufficient for your needs. They're available for under
    $50 IIRC.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 22, 2004