    intrusions get through my firewalls ?

    TIA

    , Aug 20, 2007

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
    > a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
    > (which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
    > throughout..
    >
    > Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
    > detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
    > ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.
    >
    > Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
    > intrusions get through my firewalls ?

    It seems to me that either you have too many firewalls, or not enough
    firewalls, or....

    .... let me see....

    .... or you don't have one well configured good firewall.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 20, 2007

  3. TJ Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > wrote:
    >> I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
    >> a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
    >> (which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
    >> throughout..
    >>
    >> Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
    >> detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
    >> ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.
    >>
    >> Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
    >> intrusions get through my firewalls ?

    > It seems to me that either you have too many firewalls

    Never good.

    > or not enough firewalls,

    Never good.

    > or....
    >
    > ... let me see....
    >

    > ... or you don't have one well configured good firewall.

    I'll take "Misconfigured Good Firewalls" for 1000.00, Alex.

    TJ, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-20, <> wrote:
    > I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
    > a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
    > (which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
    > throughout..
    >
    > Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
    > detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
    > ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.
    >
    > Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
    > intrusions get through my firewalls ?
    >
    > TIA

    Tell your router to drop pings from outside.

    Try

    ShieldsUP! 54,122,373 system tests

    The Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable and trusted, free
    Internet security checkup and information service. And now in its Port
    Authority Edition, it's also the most powerful and complete. Check
    your system here, and begin learning about using the Internet safely.

    at <http://www.grc.com/intro.htm>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Mr. Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
    > a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
    > (which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
    > throughout..
    >
    > Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
    > detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
    > ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.
    >
    > Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
    > intrusions get through my firewalls ?

    You have to set FW rules to drop ICMP/Ping traffic at the FW, for the
    Smoothwall firewall, otherwise, ICMP traffic is coming through to the
    network.

    And you should posts to comp.security.firewalls if you don't know how to do
    it with Smoothwall.

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 20, 2007
  6. Guest

    I solved the mystery of my firewall intrusion >>

    I had recently been using P2P and apparently the trackers keep your IP
    and port number for a while - so even when I was not using P2P, I was
    being probed on my open (forwarded) port by other peers (shown as
    allowed on PG2) and Safenet etc (shown as blocked on PG2) via various
    ports on their machines

    After I closed my forwarded port, all unsolicited incoming traffic
    stopped.

    BTW I mis-used the word 'ping'

    , Aug 21, 2007
  7. Jess Pezy Guest

    On Aug 20, 11:08 am, wrote:
    > I have an Xp Pro SP2 computer (Windows firewall enabled) going through
    > a Smoothwall Linux firewall on a Pentium 3, to a Safecom router/modem
    > (which has the firewall turned on). One port is forwarded for P2P use
    > throughout..
    >
    > Recently I installed PeerGuardian 2 and was surprised to see PG2 was
    > detecting and blocking many pings from unknown souces on different
    > ports. This happens even when I am not using P2P.
    >
    > Maybe I don't understand quite how firewalls work - but how do these
    > intrusions get through my firewalls ?
    >
    > TIA

    ditch windows firewall, it is not a strong firewall. best best is to
    get a router with a firewall built in, that will block ping requests.

    Jess Pezy, Aug 22, 2007