    attempting to access Generic Host Process for Win32 services on my
    computer" Threat level Low risk. Could someone tell me exactly what
    that is? Using Norton firewall and running XP.
    Alex, May 16, 2004

  2. Alex <> wrote in
    news::

    > My firewall gives me a message saying that "A remote system is
    > attempting to access Generic Host Process for Win32 services on my
    > computer" Threat level Low risk. Could someone tell me exactly what
    > that is? Using Norton firewall and running XP.

    "Generic Host Processes" is C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe

    It has to do with the WindowsXP TCP/IP protocol and is a TCP/IP sharing
    service that has been a part of Win 2000 for years. If you're running any
    NAT firewalls which deal with DNS issues and routing packets, like one of
    those little linksyses (linksii ?), you could try to disable it from
    internet access and see what happens. Otherwise, it's just an essential
    service in it's original M$ form. It does get attacked by Trojans (the
    older, triter versions), but your malware defenses will likely recognize the
    other footprints should that happen.
    Bucky Breeder, May 16, 2004

  3. Alex

    John Holmes Guest

    Alex came up with this:

    > My firewall gives me a message saying that "A remote system is
    > attempting to access Generic Host Process for Win32 services on my
    > computer" Threat level Low risk. Could someone tell me exactly what
    > that is? Using Norton firewall and running XP.

    I'll tell you exactly what it is. It's a remote system attempting to access
    Generic Host Process for Win32 services on your computer.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch"
    John Holmes, May 16, 2004
  4. Alex

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 10:38:57 -0400, Alex <>
    wrote:

    >My firewall gives me a message saying that "A remote system is
    >attempting to access Generic Host Process for Win32 services on my
    >computer" Threat level Low risk. Could someone tell me exactly what
    >that is? Using Norton firewall and running XP.

    Without knowing exactly what port and service it was trying to get at
    it's hard to say exactly what that remote system was trying to
    accomplish, but it sounds like someone is trying to hack your
    computer. You could trace the source IP and possibly notify the
    hacker's ISP of this activity. Or you could just never permit it,
    forget about it, and let your firewall do its job. If you decide to
    permit it, make sure you have all the latest XP patches from
    Microsoft.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, May 16, 2004
  5. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Thanks alot for the replies. I just reformatted my harddrive a few
    days ago, and I am sure it is not a virus. I mean it could be but at
    this point I doubt it. I'll just keep blocking it for now until I dig
    a little deeper. Thanks again
    Alex, May 16, 2004
  6. Alex

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:43:17 -0400, Alex <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks alot for the replies. I just reformatted my harddrive a few
    >days ago, and I am sure it is not a virus. I mean it could be but at
    >this point I doubt it. I'll just keep blocking it for now until I dig
    >a little deeper. Thanks again

    You're welcome. FWIW, I see no reason to think this is a virus.
    Viruses act inside your computer; this notification is caused by an
    external source.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, May 16, 2004