    Can anyone explain this odd problem?

    Any idea's how I solve it? For information I am using Kerio 2.1.4.

    Thanks!!
    Neil Hindry, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Neil Hindry

    Livewire Guest

    In article <3fe1b27c$0$7960$>,
    n_nospam_hindry@_nospam_hotmail.com says...
    > I am trying to set up a network, however, I have an strange problem.
    > If I disable the firewall the network works and each PC can see each other.
    > However, if I re-enable the firewall and just disable all the rules the
    > network does not work because the PC can not see the other PC's.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this odd problem?
    >
    > Any idea's how I solve it? For information I am using Kerio 2.1.4.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    It's not strange -- it's the firewall doing its job.

    I use Outpost and there is a setting to enable DNS and then to specify
    which IP ranges tou want to allow. Chances are there is a similar
    setting on your firewall.
    Livewire, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Neil Hindry

    donutbandit Guest

    Livewire <> wrote in

    > I use Outpost and there is a setting to enable DNS and then to specify
    > which IP ranges tou want to allow. Chances are there is a similar
    > setting on your firewall.

    With Kerio, you'd write rules to allow it.
    donutbandit, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Neil Hindry

    sponge Guest

    "Neil Hindry" <n_nospam_hindry@_nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3fe1b27c$0$7960$>...
    > I am trying to set up a network, however, I have an strange problem.
    > If I disable the firewall the network works and each PC can see each other.
    > However, if I re-enable the firewall and just disable all the rules the
    > network does not work because the PC can not see the other PC's.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this odd problem?
    >
    > Any idea's how I solve it? For information I am using Kerio 2.1.4.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    First of all, use Kerio 2.1.5. It fixes an administative security
    flaw.

    Second, if you're using IP (or NBT) to network, make sure you have the
    IP addresses of all hosts on your network in the Microsoft Networking
    field under the Advanced menu. There are instructions at my site at
    www.geocities.com/yosponge/faq.html, but it's actually very easy to do
    without specific instructions. Generally, you will want to check all
    the checkboxes under Microsoft Networking except the one that says
    "Ask me for each file share". Under Trusted Address Group, just put
    the individual IPs or IP range. I prefer to use individual IPs, since
    it's more theoretically secure, and would absolutely do this if I was
    on a network with any wireless components.
    The reason why this is necessary is because Kerio, like almost all
    firewalls, attempts to block NetBIOS services - a very serious
    security risk on standalone PCs due to Microsoft's stupidity and
    negligence in failing to secure them in the first place.

    Sponge
    Sponge's Security Site
    www.geocities.com/yosponge
    My new email is yosponge two att yahoo dott com+
    sponge, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Neil Hindry

    Howard Roth Guest

    Just an FYI, it's standard security operating procedure to 'deny' everything
    when setting up a firewall. You then create whatever rules required
    allowing packets to pass through the firewall. Kerio makes it easy for the
    novice by invoking this fundamental rule as a default.

    Howard Roth, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Neil,

    Have you checked "Microsoft Networking" settings? If you
    go to the Admin function, and select the "Microsoft Networking"
    tab, and the first box is checked, these settings override any rules
    that might be set up for networking. And if "From trusted addresses only"
    is checked, the IP range of your network must be configured in the
    "Trusted addresses" box.

    Dan

    Crafty Outlaw, Dec 19, 2003