    Any thoughts on this and which firewall/s might install to a ps3?

    TIA.
    Joe.
    Joe, Mar 25, 2007

  2. Joe wrote:
    > A friend of mine just bought a Sony PS3 and uses it to go online....'using a
    > dialup connection. He connects the ps3 to his pc using the lan - to - lan
    > cable. He says he's safe enough online, but is he? I mean, doesn't he need a
    > firewall of some kind at least? And, what about viruses? He can after all
    > "surf" the net, so he 'can' download a virus...'can't he?
    > The firewall issue seems to be the biggest problem though as he is using
    > dialup and not broadband via a router.
    > Any thoughts on this and which firewall/s might install to a ps3?

    He's okay. Although going through a router would be preferable, but not
    so easy to do with dialup.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 25, 2007

  3. Joe

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > A friend of mine just bought a Sony PS3 and uses it to go online....'using a
    > dialup connection. He connects the ps3 to his pc using the lan - to - lan
    > cable. He says he's safe enough online, but is he? I mean, doesn't he need a
    > firewall of some kind at least? And, what about viruses? He can after all
    > "surf" the net, so he 'can' download a virus...'can't he?

    Yeah, the machine can be attacked on a drive by. That's when one surfs
    to a dubious site and malware is installed on the machine as the site is
    surfed.

    > The firewall issue seems to be the biggest problem though as he is using
    > dialup and not broadband via a router.

    It doesn't make a difference on a dial-up. I am using dial-up on this
    traveling laptop. The same unsolicited inbound probes and attacks from
    the Internet are just as frequent on dial-up as they are on DSL or
    broadband, which the personal FW is blocking.

    When the laptop is connected to my FW appliance using broadband, the
    same probes and attacks hit the FW, like they do on dial-up when the PFW
    is active on the machine.

    The main job of a FW host based or hardware based is to stop unsolicited
    inbound traffic, which are probes and attacks, from reaching the computer.

    Tell your friend to not be a fool and practice safe hex.

    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Mr. Arnold wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >> A friend of mine just bought a Sony PS3 and uses it to go
    >> online....'using a dialup connection. He connects the ps3 to his pc
    >> using the lan - to - lan cable. He says he's safe enough online, but
    >> is he? I mean, doesn't he need a firewall of some kind at least? And,
    >> what about viruses? He can after all "surf" the net, so he 'can'
    >> download a virus...'can't he?

    > Yeah, the machine can be attacked on a drive by. That's when one surfs
    > to a dubious site and malware is installed on the machine as the site is
    > surfed.
    >
    >> The firewall issue seems to be the biggest problem though as he is
    >> using dialup and not broadband via a router.

    > It doesn't make a difference on a dial-up. I am using dial-up on this
    > traveling laptop. The same unsolicited inbound probes and attacks from
    > the Internet are just as frequent on dial-up as they are on DSL or
    > broadband, which the personal FW is blocking.
    >
    > When the laptop is connected to my FW appliance using broadband, the
    > same probes and attacks hit the FW, like they do on dial-up when the PFW
    > is active on the machine.
    >
    > The main job of a FW host based or hardware based is to stop unsolicited
    > inbound traffic, which are probes and attacks, from reaching the computer.
    >
    > Tell your friend to not be a fool and practice safe hex.
    >
    > http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Gee, what version of Windows would you suppose he's using?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 25, 2007
  5. Joe

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend of mine just bought a Sony PS3 and uses it to go
    >>> online....'using a dialup connection. He connects the ps3 to his pc
    >>> using the lan - to - lan cable. He says he's safe enough online, but
    >>> is he? I mean, doesn't he need a firewall of some kind at least? And,
    >>> what about viruses? He can after all "surf" the net, so he 'can'
    >>> download a virus...'can't he?

    >> Yeah, the machine can be attacked on a drive by. That's when one surfs
    >> to a dubious site and malware is installed on the machine as the site
    >> is surfed.
    >>
    >>> The firewall issue seems to be the biggest problem though as he is
    >>> using dialup and not broadband via a router.

    >> It doesn't make a difference on a dial-up. I am using dial-up on this
    >> traveling laptop. The same unsolicited inbound probes and attacks from
    >> the Internet are just as frequent on dial-up as they are on DSL or
    >> broadband, which the personal FW is blocking.
    >>
    >> When the laptop is connected to my FW appliance using broadband, the
    >> same probes and attacks hit the FW, like they do on dial-up when the
    >> PFW is active on the machine.
    >>
    >> The main job of a FW host based or hardware based is to stop
    >> unsolicited inbound traffic, which are probes and attacks, from
    >> reaching the computer.
    >>
    >> Tell your friend to not be a fool and practice safe hex.
    >>
    >> http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    > Gee, what version of Windows would you suppose he's using?

    I don't care what version of Windows that the OP's friend has running
    behind a PS3, with the PS3 acting as some kind of gateway for a LAN, if
    the Windows O/S is accessing the Internet without a FW.

    When did a PS3 become a hardware FW solution?
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 25, 2007