    problems of note, I download very large files and have no problem with them,
    it's just the firewall program that has trouble. Any ideas, or anyone else
    experienced the same problem.

    trigon, May 5, 2006

  2. trigon

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 5 May 2006 16:09:49 +1200, "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:

    >I have a problem where after about a month of installing a software firewall
    >my computer hangs on start-up, it gets all the way to windows but then
    >freezes when loading the startup programs, if I go to safemode to start
    >windows there is no problem, I then uninstall the fire wall and everything
    >works fine again. Now the funny thing is that this has happened with 3
    >firewall programs, I used tinypersonalfirewall but because of the problem I
    >have mentioned I tried zonealarm but the same thing has happened with that
    >now and now with sygate firewall. A reinstall of tpf did not work unless I
    >deleted the files that
    >were left over after uninstall. My guess is that the database on all these
    >firewall programs
    >is becoming corrupted, I am running win98se and don't seem to have any other
    >problems of note, I download very large files and have no problem with them,
    >it's just the firewall program that has trouble. Any ideas, or anyone else
    >experienced the same problem.

    Could be a trojan / virus. Done a full scan with updated AV?

    I would do a full purge of the PC registry to remove everything
    relating to any firewall you have had then reinstall. There are
    various registry utilities that you can use. One I find usefull on
    98SE is jv16 Powertools. You might be able to find a free (earlier)
    version around or you can do a manual search with regedit.exe. What
    browser / version do you use? Is your 98SE fully patched?

    GraB, May 5, 2006

  3. trigon

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-05, trigon <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:
    > I have a problem where after about a month of installing a software firewall
    > my computer hangs on start-up, it gets all the way to windows but then
    > freezes when loading the startup programs, if I go to safemode to start
    > windows there is no problem, I then uninstall the fire wall and everything
    > works fine again. Now the funny thing is that this has happened with 3
    > firewall programs, I used tinypersonalfirewall but because of the problem I
    > have mentioned I tried zonealarm but the same thing has happened with that
    > now and now with sygate firewall. A reinstall of tpf did not work unless I
    > deleted the files that
    > were left over after uninstall. My guess is that the database on all these
    > firewall programs
    > is becoming corrupted, I am running win98se and don't seem to have any other
    > problems of note, I download very large files and have no problem with them,
    > it's just the firewall program that has trouble. Any ideas, or anyone else
    > experienced the same problem.

    unplug your internet uninstall the firewall and see if it boots.

    if not you have some sort of malware installed.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, May 7, 2006
  4. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "Jasen Betts" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-05-05, trigon <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:
    > > I have a problem where after about a month of installing a software

    firewall
    > > my computer hangs on start-up, it gets all the way to windows but then
    > > freezes when loading the startup programs, if I go to safemode to start
    > > windows there is no problem, I then uninstall the fire wall and

    everything
    > > works fine again. Now the funny thing is that this has happened with 3
    > > firewall programs, I used tinypersonalfirewall but because of the

    problem I
    > > have mentioned I tried zonealarm but the same thing has happened with

    that
    > > now and now with sygate firewall. A reinstall of tpf did not work unless

    > > deleted the files that
    > > were left over after uninstall. My guess is that the database on all

    these
    > > firewall programs
    > > is becoming corrupted, I am running win98se and don't seem to have any

    other
    > > problems of note, I download very large files and have no problem with

    them,
    > > it's just the firewall program that has trouble. Any ideas, or anyone

    else
    > > experienced the same problem.

    > unplug your internet uninstall the firewall and see if it boots.
    >
    > if not you have some sort of malware installed.

    Thanks but I had already established that, I did mention the post you
    replied to.

    trigon, May 8, 2006