    I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Sep 15, 2009

  2. Ray Greene

    EMB Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
    >
    > Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
    > I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

    DO NOT run a firewall on the server as it defeats the purpose - use a
    separate box/appliance/whatever. I'd suggest recycling an old PC with
    IPCop, Smoothwall or similar.

    EMB, Sep 15, 2009

  3. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:30:14 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
    >>
    >> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
    >> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.
    >>

    >DO NOT run a firewall on the server as it defeats the purpose - use a
    >separate box/appliance/whatever. I'd suggest recycling an old PC with
    >IPCop, Smoothwall or similar.

    I've never had a problem with a firewall on a server myself.
    In this case I'm not using it as a server, just to run a few apps.
    It's an old HP machine that came with a server license so I thought I
    might as well use it as is.

    -
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Sep 15, 2009
  4. Ray Greene

    EMB Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > I've never had a problem with a firewall on a server myself.
    > In this case I'm not using it as a server, just to run a few apps.
    > It's an old HP machine that came with a server license so I thought I
    > might as well use it as is.

    It is too easy for mega-****-nasty-ware to disable the firewall once it
    infects the server, hence my recommendation. What have you got that
    needs Win2K Server rather than XP to run as a home app?

    EMB, Sep 15, 2009
  5. Ray Greene

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
    >
    > Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
    > I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

    What do you plan on using the machine for?

    Sailor Sam, Sep 15, 2009
  6. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:12:40 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> I've never had a problem with a firewall on a server myself.
    >> In this case I'm not using it as a server, just to run a few apps.
    >> It's an old HP machine that came with a server license so I thought I
    >> might as well use it as is.

    >It is too easy for mega-****-nasty-ware to disable the firewall once it
    >infects the server, hence my recommendation. What have you got that
    >needs Win2K Server rather than XP to run as a home app?

    I don't understand what you mean sorry. Are you saying that it's
    easier to infect Server 2000 than XP?

    As I said the machine came with a server licence, I'm not going to
    shell out for an XP license for it.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Sep 15, 2009
  7. Ray Greene

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:12:40 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> I've never had a problem with a firewall on a server myself.
    >>> In this case I'm not using it as a server, just to run a few apps.
    >>> It's an old HP machine that came with a server license so I thought I
    >>> might as well use it as is.

    >> It is too easy for mega-****-nasty-ware to disable the firewall once it
    >> infects the server, hence my recommendation. What have you got that
    >> needs Win2K Server rather than XP to run as a home app?

    > I don't understand what you mean sorry. Are you saying that it's
    > easier to infect Server 2000 than XP?
    >
    > As I said the machine came with a server licence, I'm not going to
    > shell out for an XP license for it.

    Don't mind him, he's jumped to a massive conclusion, and is going to
    berate you for it.

    Sailor Sam, Sep 15, 2009
  8. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:30:37 +1200, Sailor Sam <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
    >>
    >> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
    >> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.
    >>

    >What do you plan on using the machine for?

    VMware Server at the moment, if I ever manage to get it running
    properly on this machine. In the future, just whatever I might happen
    to need a spare PC for.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Sep 15, 2009
  9. Ray Greene

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:30:37 +1200, Sailor Sam <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
    >>>
    >>> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
    >>> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.
    >>>

    >> What do you plan on using the machine for?

    > VMware Server at the moment, if I ever manage to get it running
    > properly on this machine. In the future, just whatever I might happen
    > to need a spare PC for.

    Leave it unhooked from the web, route it through your main machine when
    you do want interweb (and you can use the main machine as the
    firewall/traffic sniffer at that point)

    Sailor Sam, Sep 15, 2009
  10. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:40:14 +1200, Sailor Sam <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:30:37 +1200, Sailor Sam <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> What do you plan on using the machine for?

    >> VMware Server at the moment, if I ever manage to get it running
    >> properly on this machine. In the future, just whatever I might happen
    >> to need a spare PC for.
    >>

    >Leave it unhooked from the web, route it through your main machine when
    >you do want interweb (and you can use the main machine as the
    >firewall/traffic sniffer at that point)

    I could do it that way, but it's going to be a lot easier if I can
    just find a firewall for Server 2K.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Sep 15, 2009
  11. Ray Greene

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:40:14 +1200, Sailor Sam <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:

    >>> VMware Server at the moment, if I ever manage to get it running
    >>> properly on this machine. In the future, just whatever I might happen
    >>> to need a spare PC for.
    >>>

    >> Leave it unhooked from the web, route it through your main machine when
    >> you do want interweb (and you can use the main machine as the
    >> firewall/traffic sniffer at that point)

    > I could do it that way, but it's going to be a lot easier if I can
    > just find a firewall for Server 2K.

    Install linux, then run your server inside a vm on that :)

    Sailor Sam, Sep 15, 2009
  12. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:52:56 +1200, Sailor Sam <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:40:14 +1200, Sailor Sam <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Leave it unhooked from the web, route it through your main machine when
    >>> you do want interweb (and you can use the main machine as the
    >>> firewall/traffic sniffer at that point)

    >> I could do it that way, but it's going to be a lot easier if I can
    >> just find a firewall for Server 2K.
    >>

    >Install linux, then run your server inside a vm on that :)

    Tried that but despite spending many hours on it I couldn't get Linux
    to boot. Those old HP servers can be a pain in the arse to set up
    sometimes.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Sep 15, 2009
  13. Ray Greene

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
    >
    > Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
    > I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

    Whatever happenned to Kerio (they had a name before that, but I can't
    remember it now). Maybe an old version of ISA might work too?

    But, if I were you, I'd use a seperate firewall appliance - Sonicwall or
    somethin' like that. I wouldn't recommend a cheapo router.

    I don't know what you want to use it for, but it's likely the only ports
    you may need open are:

    It's been years since I've been to grc.com - but he may still have his
    port checking page up.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 15, 2009
  14. Ray Greene

    AD. Guest

    On Sep 15, 7:12 pm, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
    >
    > Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
    > I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

    Does the old built in IP Filter stuff do the trick?

    It's been a long time, but from memory it was under some advanced
    options tab of the IP settings. It was pretty limited though.

    Also, there is built in IP Security policy stuff you can do that also
    does traffic filtering (it wasn't just for IPSEC VPNs). This was more
    powerful, but not very user friendly.

    But you will probably find these things too fiddly and painful to
    bother with :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 15, 2009
  15. Ray Greene

    EMB Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > Whatever happenned to Kerio (they had a name before that, but I can't
    > remember it now).

    Now Sunbelt.

    EMB, Sep 15, 2009
  16. In article <>,
    says...

    > Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
    >
    > Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
    > I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

    Have you tried Sygate pro? I think the last version was 5.5 before
    Symantec swallowed the company and shut them down. You can still find
    download sites for it if you look around a bit, I think. As of WinXP SP2
    it no longer works, but it's run on anything I tried it on before that.
    (including win2k ... but I haven't tried it on server)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 15, 2009
  17. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:52:56 +1200, Sailor Sam <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:

    >>> I could do it that way, but it's going to be a lot easier if I
    >>> can just find a firewall for Server 2K.
    >>>

    >> Install linux, then run your server inside a vm on that :)

    > Tried that but despite spending many hours on it I couldn't get Linux
    > to boot. Those old HP servers can be a pain in the arse to set up
    > sometimes.

    What model is it? I've not had any problems with HP servers and getting
    Linux to run on them.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 15, 2009
  18. In message <h8nlps$80i$>, EMB wrote:

    > It is too easy for mega-****-nasty-ware to disable the firewall once it
    > infects the server ...

    In which case, the firewall failed in its purpose, so what difference does
    it make?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 15, 2009
  19. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:51:06 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
    >>
    >> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
    >> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

    >Have you tried Sygate pro? I think the last version was 5.5 before
    >Symantec swallowed the company and shut them down. You can still find
    >download sites for it if you look around a bit, I think. As of WinXP SP2
    >it no longer works, but it's run on anything I tried it on before that.
    >(including win2k ... but I haven't tried it on server)

    That will be worth checking out, Sygate had a good reputation as I recall.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Sep 16, 2009
  20. In article <h8pbg5$7p2$>, says...

    > On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:51:06 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >says...
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone recommend a free or cheap firewall for Server 2000?
    > >>
    > >> Most home firewalls won't run on Server, but it's just an old machine
    > >> I'm running at home so I don't want to spend too much on it.

    > >Have you tried Sygate pro? I think the last version was 5.5 before
    > >Symantec swallowed the company and shut them down. You can still find
    > >download sites for it if you look around a bit, I think. As of WinXP SP2
    > >it no longer works, but it's run on anything I tried it on before that.
    > >(including win2k ... but I haven't tried it on server)
    > >

    > That will be worth checking out, Sygate had a good reputation as I recall.

    My firewall of choice, and the reason why my machine is still running XP
    Pro_SP1. One of the really nice things about it is, you can simply run
    it at a 'shallow' level by adopting a policy and it will work fine, or
    you can get really snarky and limit access right down to mac addresses
    and IPs & generate rules on an application by application level if
    you're so inclined. I'm very pleased with it.
    It's got one bug: if it notifies that it has blocked an app from
    accessing the network you have a tick box on the notification window to
    turn notifications off. Doesn't work -- you have to turn notification
    off from the main options screen for it to get saved. Other than that
    .... well, it's a good idea to turn off auto-update checking for obvious
    reasons ;-)

    I've installed Comodo on several machines and on two of them it's borked
    majorly so I will not trust it with my main machine. Wouldn't work for
    you in any event since it requires XP SP2 minimum (last time I set it
    up, that was).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 16, 2009