    effective and as user friendly as the above commercial apps...? any info
    greatly apprec.

    cheers
    pixel, Aug 5, 2004

  2. pixel wrote:
    > i'll be buying winXP pro, i hear it has a built in firewall but is it as
    > effective and as user friendly as the above commercial apps...? any info
    > greatly apprec.

    I cant comment on the norton and kerio ones, but I use the default XP
    one, and it blocks external thing coming in, I don't think it does much
    logging, although once SP2 comes out I believe this changes.

    One thing it doesnt do is block things going out, which isn't really
    that much of an issue if you know what you have on your machine anyway.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 5, 2004

  3. pixel

    PseUDO Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > pixel wrote:
    >
    >> i'll be buying winXP pro, i hear it has a built in firewall but is it
    >> as effective and as user friendly as the above commercial apps...? any
    >> info greatly apprec.

    > I cant comment on the norton and kerio ones, but I use the default XP
    > one, and it blocks external thing coming in, I don't think it does much
    > logging, although once SP2 comes out I believe this changes.
    >
    > One thing it doesnt do is block things going out, which isn't really
    > that much of an issue if you know what you have on your machine anyway.

    Yep service pack 2 firewall works really well, iv'e been using it since
    the RC 2 came out, no problems at all, shields up test show's all ports
    stealthed.

    I dont use zone alarm anymore, since im not worried about outgoing
    connections, i know what software iv'e installed, and im happy to let it
    make an outgoing connection if it wants to.

    With the service pack 2 firewall, this is the first time i have given up
    a 3rd party programme and gone back to a microsoft one!.

    Computer starts up a lot quicker too without ZA, i never realised how
    much it can slow the pc down!.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Aug 5, 2004
  4. pixel

    pixel Guest

    AV comparison (was: firewall comparison)

    thanks for replies so far.... quite a shock MS seems to be doing
    something right lol.

    sorta on the subject - what about an AV comparison/peoples fav AV apps.
    i've been using AVG free version for ages. i don't like it... or i
    should say its ok for a free app ;) but i would be willing to pay for
    something better.

    there's just minor annoyances like when right-clicking and scanning a
    file/folder and finding a virus, you have to run AVG to remove it, you
    don't get the option to deal with it right there. and when running the
    app there's no options, it just tells you you have a virus and either
    says it was removed, or says it couldn't do sh** and the virus is still
    there. there's no options to delete infected files etc.
    pixel, Aug 5, 2004
  5. Re: AV comparison

    pixel wrote:
    > there's just minor annoyances like when right-clicking and scanning a
    > file/folder and finding a virus, you have to run AVG to remove it, you
    > don't get the option to deal with it right there. and when running the
    > app there's no options, it just tells you you have a virus and either
    > says it was removed, or says it couldn't do sh** and the virus is still
    > there. there's no options to delete infected files etc.

    heh, Im using that too and can't say that I've had any trouble, although
    I cant say I've ever had an infection either...

    ummm for a free app it's good.
    I find it has a smaller memory footprint than Nortons, McAfee and
    Panda(all from personal use).

    This is all just my opinion. :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 5, 2004
  6. On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:32:43 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> pixel wrote:
    >>
    >>> i'll be buying winXP pro, i hear it has a built in firewall but is it
    >>> as effective and as user friendly as the above commercial apps...? any
    >>> info greatly apprec.

    >> I cant comment on the norton and kerio ones, but I use the default XP
    >> one, and it blocks external thing coming in, I don't think it does much
    >> logging, although once SP2 comes out I believe this changes.
    >>
    >> One thing it doesnt do is block things going out, which isn't really
    >> that much of an issue if you know what you have on your machine anyway.
    >>

    >Yep service pack 2 firewall works really well, iv'e been using it since
    >the RC 2 came out, no problems at all, shields up test show's all ports
    >stealthed.
    >
    >I dont use zone alarm anymore, since im not worried about outgoing
    >connections, i know what software iv'e installed, and im happy to let it
    >make an outgoing connection if it wants to.
    >
    >With the service pack 2 firewall, this is the first time i have given up
    >a 3rd party programme and gone back to a microsoft one!.
    >
    >Computer starts up a lot quicker too without ZA, i never realised how
    >much it can slow the pc down!.
    >
    >PseUDO

    This is BAD Advice as it will not block trojans or any other software that
    connects out..

    Get Kerio
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 5, 2004
  7. pixel

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:03:31 +1200, pixel wrote:

    > i'll be buying winXP pro, i hear it has a built in firewall but is it as
    > effective and as user friendly as the above commercial apps...? any info
    > greatly apprec.

    To quote a certain ad, Not everyone is good at tyres. Tyres are what we do
    best.

    Another thought MS record on the secuirty front is Lawyer here, needed
    to him right there for risk of libel.
    Gordon, Aug 5, 2004
  8. pixel

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:32:43 +1200, PseUDO wrote:

    > I dont use zone alarm anymore, since im not worried about outgoing
    > connections, i know what software iv'e installed, and im happy to let it
    > make an outgoing connection if it wants to.

    And what about the software you have not installed but is there?
    Gordon, Aug 5, 2004
  9. pixel

    Dave Taylor Guest

    PseUDO <> wrote in news:f7gQc.1838$zS6.215467
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > I dont use zone alarm anymore, since im not worried about outgoing
    > connections, i know what software iv'e installed, and im happy to let it
    > make an outgoing connection if it wants to.

    That says it all.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 5, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:32:43 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:
    >
    > >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > >> I cant comment on the norton and kerio ones, but I use the default XP
    > >> one, and it blocks external thing coming in, I don't think it does much
    > >> logging, although once SP2 comes out I believe this changes.
    > >>
    > >> One thing it doesnt do is block things going out, which isn't really
    > >> that much of an issue if you know what you have on your machine anyway.
    > >>

    > >Yep service pack 2 firewall works really well, iv'e been using it since
    > >the RC 2 came out, no problems at all, shields up test show's all ports
    > >stealthed.
    > >
    > >I dont use zone alarm anymore, since im not worried about outgoing
    > >connections, i know what software iv'e installed, and im happy to let it
    > >make an outgoing connection if it wants to.
    > >
    > >With the service pack 2 firewall, this is the first time i have given up
    > >a 3rd party programme and gone back to a microsoft one!.
    > >
    > >Computer starts up a lot quicker too without ZA, i never realised how
    > >much it can slow the pc down!.
    > >
    > >PseUDO

    > This is BAD Advice as it will not block trojans or any other software that
    > connects out..

    Can't you read, he is using WIN XP SERVICE PACK 2 FIREWALL
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 5, 2004
  11. The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    >>>One thing it doesnt do is block things going out, which isn't really
    >>>that much of an issue if you know what you have on your machine anyway.

    > This is BAD Advice as it will not block trojans or any other software that
    > connects out..

    well duh, I guess when I wrote "One thing it doesnt do is block things
    going out, which isn't really that much of an issue if you know what you
    have on your machine anyway." I didnt cover that.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 5, 2004
  12. Gordon wrote:
    >>I dont use zone alarm anymore, since im not worried about outgoing
    >>connections, i know what software iv'e installed, and im happy to let it
    >>make an outgoing connection if it wants to.

    > And what about the software you have not installed but is there?

    and if it is not installed how does it get there?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 5, 2004
  13. pixel

    PseUDO Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:32:43 +1200, PseUDO wrote:
    >

    >>I dont use zone alarm anymore, since im not worried about outgoing
    >>connections, i know what software iv'e installed, and im happy to let it
    >>make an outgoing connection if it wants to.

    > And what about the software you have not installed but is there?

    I run spybot & adaware once a week, AVG once a week, and apply all the
    patches for XP as soon as they come out.

    Iv'e never had a virus, or trojan etc, ever !

    I use firefox instead of IE, and Thunderbird instead of OE, so pretty
    safe, and to top it all off, a hardware firewall on my router as well,
    so having service pack 2's firewall on as well is overkill :)

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Aug 6, 2004
  14. In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    says...

    > > This is BAD Advice as it will not block trojans or any other software that
    > > connects out..

    > well duh, I guess when I wrote "One thing it doesnt do is block things
    > going out, which isn't really that much of an issue if you know what you
    > have on your machine anyway." I didnt cover that.

    SP2 firewall has added application permissions to the existing XP
    firewall.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 6, 2004
  15. pixel

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    > says...

    anyway.

    > > > This is BAD Advice as it will not block trojans or any other

    software that
    > > > connects out..

    > > well duh, I guess when I wrote "One thing it doesnt do is block things
    > > going out, which isn't really that much of an issue if you know what you
    > > have on your machine anyway." I didnt cover that.

    > SP2 firewall has added application permissions to the existing XP
    > firewall.

    And you've got first-hand actual real-world experience of SP2? Nah, didn't
    think so!

    Use it, and actually experience the real-world before you pretend to be an
    expert.

    RJ out.
    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 6, 2004
  16. Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > > This is BAD Advice as it will not block trojans or any other software that
    > > > connects out..

    > > well duh, I guess when I wrote "One thing it doesnt do is block things
    > > going out, which isn't really that much of an issue if you know what you
    > > have on your machine anyway." I didnt cover that.

    > SP2 firewall has added application permissions to the existing XP
    > firewall.

    Permissions for applications to receive inbound unsolicited connections.
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 6, 2004
  17. In article <>,
    says...

    > > > well duh, I guess when I wrote "One thing it doesnt do is block things
    > > > going out, which isn't really that much of an issue if you know what you
    > > > have on your machine anyway." I didnt cover that.

    > > SP2 firewall has added application permissions to the existing XP
    > > firewall.

    > Permissions for applications to receive inbound unsolicited connections.

    Not outgoing, then? Is that too hard for the average Windows XP user to
    set up?
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 7, 2004
  18. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>Permissions for applications to receive inbound unsolicited connections.

    > Not outgoing, then? Is that too hard for the average Windows XP user to
    > set up?

    yes... the average user is a freaking moron.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 7, 2004