    not been monitering this list for about a year. thanks for your indungence)

    Thanks

    John
    John Hyde, Sep 8, 2005

  2. John Hyde

    Notan Guest

    John Hyde wrote:

    > I have a new (to me) laptop running win XP Home. On other machines I
    > have used zonealarm freeware firewall and norton utilities for AV. I
    > know there are concerns with norton being bloatware. Since I have to
    > purchase a license for something for AV, are there opinions about
    > zonealarm's AV abilities? Other suggeations?
    >
    > (I expect there has been some discussion of this on the list, but I have
    > not been monitering this list for about a year. thanks for your indungence)

    While it doesn't have all the bell and whistles of some other firewalls,
    ZoneAlarm (freeware) is certainly a decent product.

    Here's a partial list of free AV programs, posted in another newgroup,
    earlier this morning:

    AVAST -

    AntiVir -
    http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE

    AVG -
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE

    CA eTrust -
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.

    If you don't mind paying, there's a plethora (Love that word!) of
    firewalls and AV programs, out there.

    Notan
    Notan, Sep 8, 2005

  3. From: "Notan" <>

    | While it doesn't have all the bell and whistles of some other firewalls,
    | ZoneAlarm (freeware) is certainly a decent product.
    |
    | Here's a partial list of free AV programs, posted in another newgroup,
    | earlier this morning:
    |
    | AVAST -
    |
    | AntiVir -
    | http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE
    |
    | AVG -
    | http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
    |
    | CA eTrust -
    | http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    |
    | If you don't mind paying, there's a plethora (Love that word!) of
    | firewalls and AV programs, out there.
    |
    | Notan

    Gee I wonder who ? ;-)

    The CA eTrust AV software can also be obtained with ZoneAlarm bundles.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2005
  4. John Hyde

    Notan Guest

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > From: "Notan" <>
    >

    > | While it doesn't have all the bell and whistles of some other firewalls,
    > | ZoneAlarm (freeware) is certainly a decent product.
    > |
    > | Here's a partial list of free AV programs, posted in another newgroup,
    > | earlier this morning:
    > |
    > | AVAST -
    > |
    > | AntiVir -
    > | http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE
    > |
    > | AVG -
    > | http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
    > |
    > | CA eTrust -
    > | http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    > |
    > | If you don't mind paying, there's a plethora (Love that word!) of
    > | firewalls and AV programs, out there.
    > |
    > | Notan
    >
    > Gee I wonder who ? ;-)

    I must give credit, where credit is due...

    It was Dave's post... I just copied and pasted!

    Notan
    Notan, Sep 8, 2005
  5. John Hyde

    Zilbandy Guest

    John Hyde <> wrote:

    >I have a new (to me) laptop running win XP Home. On other machines I
    >have used zonealarm freeware firewall and norton utilities for AV. I
    >know there are concerns with norton being bloatware. Since I have to
    >purchase a license for something for AV, are there opinions about
    >zonealarm's AV abilities? Other suggeations?

    I'm happy with ZoneAlarm's free version and AVG antivirus. I recently
    switched from Norton AV to the free AVG.
    Zilbandy, Sep 9, 2005
  6. John Hyde

    John Hyde Guest

    John Hyde wrote:
    > I have a new (to me) laptop running win XP Home. On other machines I
    > have used zonealarm freeware firewall and norton utilities for AV. I
    > know there are concerns with norton being bloatware. Since I have to
    > purchase a license for something for AV, are there opinions about
    > zonealarm's AV abilities? Other suggeations?
    >
    > (I expect there has been some discussion of this on the list, but I have
    > not been monitering this list for about a year. thanks for your
    > indungence)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Thanks to all who replied. I went ahead and purchased KAspersky and it
    seems to work fine. I'm a bit miffed at Zonealarm for being difficult
    with KAV, but that's another thread.

    Thanks again,

    JH
    John Hyde, Sep 13, 2005