Fireproof / Waterproof chest suggestions

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Midnight Moocher, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Midnight Moocher, Feb 12, 2006

  2. Midnight Moocher

    Notan Guest

    Midnight Moocher wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep my
    > Backup DVDs.
    >
    > I've looked at the following, but it says not suitable for plastic media:
    > http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dprod.php/products_id/39#specs
    >
    > Does anyone here know where I can find something suitable?
    >
    > A little over my budget, this one is suitable for plastic media, but I'm not
    > sure if it's waterproof:
    > http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dprod.php/products_id/3876

    Not sure what you mean by "waterproof."

    Do you want to be able to submerge it, or just be resistant to sprays of water?

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Notan <> wrote:

    >> I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep
    >> my Backup DVDs.

    > Not sure what you mean by "waterproof."
    >
    > Do you want to be able to submerge it, or just be resistant to sprays
    > of water?

    And even then - would it actually be a problem if a DVD got wet? It's
    plastic, after all...

    Personally, I've chosen a different approach to the whole problem. I
    pack my backups into encrypted volumes on DVD-R and store 1-2
    generations of them at my workplace. It would have to be a fscking big
    meteorite that could blow up both my house AND my workplace,
    considering that they are 15 miles apart and with a hill between them
    :)

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    "The senator has got to understand if he's going to have he can't have it
    both ways. He can't take the high horse and then claim the low road."

    Juergen Nieveler, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Midnight Moocher

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:05:18 GMT, "Midnight Moocher"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep my
    >Backup DVDs.
    >
    >I've looked at the following, but it says not suitable for plastic media:
    >http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dprod.php/products_id/39#specs

    It says: document box. You'll need a 'media box'.

    The difference is two fold: temperature and steam.
    Paper withstands some 150 degrees centigrade before burn damage
    (singe) occurs. Media can be damaged by temperatures as low as 70
    degrees centigrade.

    The second hazard is steam. If there is a fire, someone is likely
    to end it. Usually water is involved, which produces steam.
    Paper is hardly damaged by steam, media are ruined by it.
    That's why 'water tight' is so important.
    Datasafes often use some kind of special filling tape in the
    joints.
    If the temperature is high enough this material changes into a
    foam that forms a steam-tight seal.

    >Does anyone here know where I can find something suitable?

    Ask for a 'datasafe' or 'mediasafe'

    >A little over my budget, this one is suitable for plastic media, but I'm not
    >sure if it's waterproof:
    >http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dprod.php/products_id/3876

    Looks better, even without a picture :)

    As to your budget: how much do you have available for data
    recovery ? How much data recovery does your insurance cover ?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Midnight Moocher

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    Midnight Moocher wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep my
    > Backup DVDs.
    >
    > I've looked at the following, but it says not suitable for plastic media:
    > http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dprod.php/products_id/39#specs
    >
    > Does anyone here know where I can find something suitable?
    >
    > A little over my budget, this one is suitable for plastic media, but I'm not
    > sure if it's waterproof:
    > http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dprod.php/products_id/3876

    I would start by looking at a Safe Deposit Box at a convenient branch
    office of your bank.

    1) Cost per year?
    2) Media safe?
    3) Off site (yours) which is good.
    4) Convenient location? If not, you will put off using it when you should.
    5) Convenient hours of operation? If not, same as 4.
    6) And, of course, useful for many other valuables and documents.

    Once you investigate this option, you can weigh the benefits of all
    other options against it. Just my 0.02.

    Ron :)

    Ron Lopshire, Feb 12, 2006
  6. LOL.

    My place of work is only 1.5 miles so the meteorite could be significantly
    smaller to foil me.

    Midnight Moocher, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Many thanks to the responses so far. All very helpful.

    Midnight

    Midnight Moocher, Feb 12, 2006
  8. Midnight Moocher

    Vanguard Guest

    > LOL.
    >
    > My place of work is only 1.5 miles so the meteorite could be significantly
    > smaller to foil me.

    But then you won't be around to care.

    Vanguard, Feb 12, 2006
  9. Midnight Moocher

    traveler 66 Guest

    "Gerard Bok" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:05:18 GMT, "Midnight Moocher"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep my
    > >Backup DVDs.
    > >
    > >I've looked at the following, but it says not suitable for plastic media:
    > >http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dprod.php/products_id/39#specs

    > It says: document box. You'll need a 'media box'.
    >
    > The difference is two fold: temperature and steam.
    > Paper withstands some 150 degrees centigrade before burn damage
    > (singe) occurs. Media can be damaged by temperatures as low as 70
    > degrees centigrade.

    Excellent point, a while ago I saw a good sized box at Walmart for around
    $60-70, it would probably suit all your needs (if all the stores have them),
    but check out what temp it's rated for.

    traveler 66, Feb 12, 2006
  10. Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Feb 12, 2006
  11. Frazer Jolly Goodfellow <> wrote:

    > The blurb states:
    > "Airtight keeping smoke and gases out"
    >
    > Wouldn't that imply watertight, to some degree at least?

    Watertight against rain, perhaps - but not against being thrown into
    water, as water pressure will be higher than for example the pressure
    of smoke.

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Next time read the fortune befo... [bitten off]

    Juergen Nieveler, Feb 12, 2006
  12. Midnight Moocher

    Roy Guest

    Good old Woolies sell one. Not sure of the ratings though.
    Roy.

    Roy, Feb 15, 2006
  13. Midnight Moocher wrote:

    > A little over my budget, this one is suitable for plastic media, but I'm not
    > sure if it's waterproof:
    > http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dprod.php/products_id/3876

    The price quoted on that link is a measely £139.00. If your data isn't
    worth that much why bother to back it up at all?

    --
    Shane

    Shane Petroff, Feb 16, 2006