    version I could use?

    How can I make changes to the profile?

    nof

    basil, Jan 25, 2008

  2. basil wrote:
    > I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
    > It won't load my bank but IE will.
    > It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
    > but it isn't.
    >
    > It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
    > has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
    > Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
    > version I could use?
    >
    > How can I make changes to the profile?
    >
    > nof

    I would suggest your problem is not FF (which works so well for me with
    banks, Gmail etc) but with not having an appropiate Java plugin package
    for FF to run Gmail etc or even perhaps having set the security settings
    to tight. Settings for FF hang around even after an uninstall and even
    come back on re install

    Collector€NZ, Jan 25, 2008

  3. In article <4799718c$>, Collector€NZ did write:

    > I would suggest your problem is not FF (which works so well for me with
    > banks, Gmail etc) but with not having an appropiate Java plugin package
    > for FF to run Gmail etc...

    Why would Gmail be using Java?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 25, 2008
  4. On Jan 25, 5:49 pm, basil <> wrote:
    > I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
    > It won't load my bank but IE will.
    > It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
    > but it isn't.
    >
    > It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
    > has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
    > Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
    > version I could use?
    >
    > How can I make changes to the profile?
    >
    > nof

    Try clearing the cache

    I had some Firefox issues a few weeks ago. Tried everything uninstall/
    install etc etc... but clearing the cache was the fix. Odd, would have
    thought an ununstall/install would have done that as a matter of
    course.

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Jan 25, 2008
  5. basil wrote:
    > I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
    > It won't load my bank but IE will.
    > It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
    > but it isn't.
    >
    > It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
    > has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
    > Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
    > version I could use?

    Which extensions / add-ons do you have installed ?

    Does it work if you create a new account and try from there ?

    Are your DNS settings correct ?

    What's in your hosts file ?

    Mark Robinson, Jan 25, 2008
  6. On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:45:26 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Why would Gmail be using Java?

    Perhaps it's a web 2.0 application that they're using to access their
    free hosted email a/c.

    Is he successfully logging into gMail or is he not even completing that
    stage?

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    All malware is currently a single platform problem and is almost all the
    fault of poor design of two applications - Internet Explorer and Outlook

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 25, 2008
  7. On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:03:13 -0800, Peter Jenkins wrote:

    > I had some Firefox issues a few weeks ago. Tried everything uninstall/
    > install etc etc... but clearing the cache was the fix. Odd, would have
    > thought an ununstall/install would have done that as a matter of course.

    I would have expected that un-installing the application would have only
    touched the application, and not any data. The cache is data.

    What he should try doing is renaming the .Mozilla directory to something
    like, say, .Mozilla-old and then starting up Firefox and seeing if he can
    again access gMail.

    That would prove one way or the other if it is a profile issue.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 25, 2008
  8. basil

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "basil" <> wrote in message
    > I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
    > It won't load my bank but IE will.
    > It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
    > but it isn't.

    You could try the IETab add-on if you want to retain Firefox for general
    browsing.

    Mickey Mouse, Jan 25, 2008
  9. basil

    Allistar Guest

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:45:26 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Why would Gmail be using Java?

    > Perhaps it's a web 2.0 application that they're using to access their
    > free hosted email a/c.
    >
    > Is he successfully logging into gMail or is he not even completing that
    > stage?

    Lawrence is most likely referring to the fact that Java != JavaScript.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Jan 25, 2008
  10. basil

    Ross Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:49:54 -0800 (PST), basil <>
    wrote:

    >I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
    >It won't load my bank but IE will.
    >It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
    >but it isn't.
    >
    >It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
    >has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
    >Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
    >version I could use?
    >
    >How can I make changes to the profile?
    >
    >nof

    You may have uninstalled the program, but it is apparent that you will
    have to clean out other associated data that has been left behind.
    Look for Mozilla folders and delete them.
    If on XP, look deep down under c:\Documents and Settings\
    If on 98, look in these folders under Windows: - "All Users",
    "Application Data", "Profiles" and "Local Settings"

    Ross, Jan 25, 2008
  11. basil

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "basil" typed:
    > I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
    > It won't load my bank but IE will.
    > It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
    > but it isn't.
    >
    > It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
    > has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
    > Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
    > version I could use?
    >
    > How can I make changes to the profile?

    I hate to see posts like this. I use Firefox exclusively, use gmail and log
    into three different banks with absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I'm also
    using ver. 2.0.0.11. I don't know what the problem is but I really don't
    think that it's Firefox. Good luck resolving it, it would be a shame to have
    to use an inferior browser if you are unable to sort it out.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 25, 2008
  12. basil

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I hate to see posts like this. I use Firefox exclusively, use gmail and log
    > into three different banks with absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I'm also
    > using ver. 2.0.0.11.

    Ditto. The problem is unlikely to be Firefox.

    EMB, Jan 25, 2008
  13. basil

    Nighthawk Guest

    wrote:

    >I've just about had it with FF. It won't load Gmail but IE will.
    >It won't load my bank but IE will.
    >It just hangs or seems to make an effort as if something is happening
    >but it isn't.
    >
    >It's about 3 weeks now that I cannot find out where the fault lies. FF
    >has been uninstalled and installed again. Version is 2.0.0.11
    >Sometimes I really don't need upgrades. I haven't seen an older
    >version I could use?
    >
    >How can I make changes to the profile?

    Create a new shortcut to Firefox, go to the shortcut properties and in
    the Target box put this, exactly, including quotes:

    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

    assuming that is the location of Firefox on your PC. This will bring
    up the profile manager where you can create a new profile, which will
    be clean of all previous add-ons and themes. Try it 'naked'.

    I couldn't access online banking a year or so ago with an earlier
    version of Firefox when I had tabbrowserextensions installed. Banking
    worked fine without it.

    Perhaps you should consider latest Opera anyway for banking as it is,
    according to the Secunia site, the most secure browser with no
    unpatched holes http://secunia.com/product/10615/

    compared to IE7 with 7 unpatched holes
    http://secunia.com/product/12366

    and Firefox with 5 unpatched holes http://secunia.com/product/12434

    Nighthawk, Jan 25, 2008
  14. basil

    shane Guest

    Nighthawk did scribble:

    > Create a new shortcut to Firefox, go to the shortcut properties and in
    > the Target box put this, exactly, including quotes:
    >
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

    Why not just write that command at a prompt, instead of all that other
    rigmarole?
    Otherwise why all that work for a one time run?
    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick

    shane, Jan 25, 2008
  15. basil

    Cima Guest

    Cima, Jan 25, 2008
  16. basil

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rob S" typed:
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:15:29 +1300
    > EMB <> took time out from filleting whitebait to
    > write:
    >
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hate to see posts like this. I use Firefox exclusively, use gmail
    >>> and log into three different banks with absolutely no trouble
    >>> whatsoever. I'm also using ver. 2.0.0.11.

    >> Ditto. The problem is unlikely to be Firefox.

    > I was unable to log into my bank using Firefox and it was a
    > javascript issue. Once I sorted that out it was all sweet again.

    What bank uses javascript? That doesn't strike me as a good idea. I log into
    BNZ, Westpac and ASB and they don't require it.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 25, 2008
  17. basil

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-01-25, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:45:26 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why would Gmail be using Java?

    >> Perhaps it's a web 2.0 application that they're using to access their
    >> free hosted email a/c.
    >>
    >> Is he successfully logging into gMail or is he not even completing that
    >> stage?

    > Lawrence is most likely referring to the fact that Java != JavaScript.

    NO! the only thing similar between Java and Javascript is the the letters
    java in both the names

    Gordon, Jan 26, 2008
  18. basil

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:00:30 +1300, shane <-a-geek.net>
    wrote:

    >Nighthawk did scribble:
    >
    >> Create a new shortcut to Firefox, go to the shortcut properties and in
    >> the Target box put this, exactly, including quotes:
    >>
    >> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P

    >Why not just write that command at a prompt, instead of all that other
    >rigmarole?
    >Otherwise why all that work for a one time run?

    You aren't losing anything having a permanent profile link. Might not
    be a one time run. It could be good for experimenting with different
    add-ons and settings - trouble-shooting.

    Nighthawk, Jan 26, 2008
  19. basil

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rob S" typed:
    > Westpac. Turn off javascript and try logging in. When you've filled
    > in the customer id and password fields, hitting the enter key does
    > nothing, you have to click on the login link. Then you'll get a
    > "sorry, to use transaction blah blah you must have javascript
    > enabled"

    Well! I didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up.

    > I only use Westpac for bill payments, so it never has much in it,
    > otherwise I'd jump ship completely.

    Hmmm. They're my primary bank as they have a "no fees" acount that I use for
    my primary and they have the best interest rate available from an NZ bank
    for an on-line, on call savings account.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2008
  20. basil

    Rob S Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:15:29 +1300
    EMB <> took time out from filleting whitebait to write:

    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > I hate to see posts like this. I use Firefox exclusively, use gmail and log
    > > into three different banks with absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I'm also
    > > using ver. 2.0.0.11.

    > Ditto. The problem is unlikely to be Firefox.

    I was unable to log into my bank using Firefox and it was a javascript issue. Once I sorted that out it was all sweet again.
    --
    Rob S

    Students nowadays, complaining they only get 5MBs of disk space! In my day we were lucky if we had one file, and that was /dev/null.

    Rob S, Jan 26, 2008