    lot of spyware through that. My system doesn't have any issues though
    so I will probably stick with IE6.

    John
    John, Mar 26, 2005

  2. John

    JANA Guest

    I've been using Firefox since it has been out. I found it in some ways
    better than IE, but it is not as sophisticated. I look at it as a simplified
    browser. You still have to download and install all the plugins, if you want
    the extra functions.

    I like how the built in search function works, compared to IE. I found its
    Bookmark management to not be as easy to use as the one in IE. This may also
    be a matter of opinion.

    As for the safety of it, it may have its problems. But, it is supposed to be
    safer than IE. I know of a few people that have had it hijacked already.
    But, I am not aware of the exact implication that happened, so I cannot
    elaborate on this.

    In my opinion, I like it for its simplicity and ease of use. It is an
    excellent alternative to IE.

    If you are in to exploring questionable sites, Firefox would be a lot safer
    than IE, from what I can see. You can go in to its set-up and turn off the
    scripting, and Java if you are unsecured about it. You can then turn them
    back on when you are secure to do so.

    --

    In looking at your email address, you are in to Bugs Bunny? He's one
    interesting character!

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Mar 26, 2005

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:44:59 -0500, A strange species called "JANA"
    <> wrote:

    >I've been using Firefox since it has been out. I found it in some ways
    >better than IE, but it is not as sophisticated. I look at it as a simplified
    >browser. You still have to download and install all the plugins, if you want
    >the extra functions.
    >
    >I like how the built in search function works, compared to IE. I found its
    >Bookmark management to not be as easy to use as the one in IE. This may also
    >be a matter of opinion.

    Yes, I like the drop downs on the left where you can see the bookmarks
    and history etc in explorer.

    >As for the safety of it, it may have its problems. But, it is supposed to be
    >safer than IE. I know of a few people that have had it hijacked already.
    >But, I am not aware of the exact implication that happened, so I cannot
    >elaborate on this.
    >
    >In my opinion, I like it for its simplicity and ease of use. It is an
    >excellent alternative to IE.

    I have only installed it earlier today and so far it seems decent.

    >If you are in to exploring questionable sites, Firefox would be a lot safer
    >than IE, from what I can see. You can go in to its set-up and turn off the
    >scripting, and Java if you are unsecured about it. You can then turn them
    >back on when you are secure to do so.
    >
    >--
    >
    >In looking at your email address, you are in to Bugs Bunny? He's one
    >interesting character!

    That's just a spam trap.. may as well have an interesting one though
    like Buggs Bunny or Donald Duck :)

    So JANA where are you from? Canada? Germany? Your English is very
    good.

    John
    John, Mar 26, 2005
  4. John

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:29:00 +0000, John wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I just wondered how many people in the group are using Firefox as
    > their primary browser? And how many people have tried it?
    >
    > I was just after a general opinion as to how it stacks up against IE6.
    >
    > Also, has anyone tried the Mozilla email client? Thunderbird I think
    > its called? How does that compare to Outlook?
    >
    > I am probably going to try Firefox on the family PC because I get a
    > lot of spyware through that. My system doesn't have any issues though
    > so I will probably stick with IE6.
    >
    > John

    I've been using Firefox for Linux and my WindowsXP system since it became
    available. I don't get my mail through Windows, but both my brothers use
    Thunderbird routinely on their WinXP systems and seem to like it.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Mar 26, 2005
  5. John

    Wizard Guest

    JANA <> wrote:
    > I've been using Firefox since it has been out. I found it in some ways
    > better than IE, but it is not as sophisticated. I look at it as a
    > simplified browser. You still have to download and install all the
    > plugins, if you want the extra functions.
    >
    > I like how the built in search function works, compared to IE. I
    > found its Bookmark management to not be as easy to use as the one in
    > IE. This may also be a matter of opinion.
    >
    > As for the safety of it, it may have its problems. But, it is
    > supposed to be safer than IE. I know of a few people that have had it
    > hijacked already. But, I am not aware of the exact implication that
    > happened, so I cannot elaborate on this.
    >
    > In my opinion, I like it for its simplicity and ease of use. It is an
    > excellent alternative to IE.
    >
    > If you are in to exploring questionable sites, Firefox would be a lot
    > safer than IE, from what I can see. You can go in to its set-up and
    > turn off the scripting, and Java if you are unsecured about it. You
    > can then turn them back on when you are secure to do so.

    BWAGAGAGAGAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *WHEEZE* *WHEEZE* LMFARO London to a bucket of
    your smashed brains says you can't tell anyone why FF is safer than IE.
    Wizard, Mar 26, 2005
  6. John

    JANA Guest

    Thunderbird is an excellent emailer.

    I do have a question here: Is it possible to have the Mozella HTML writer,
    which I think it is called Composer, without installing the complete
    package? This would be for Windows.

    I realize you are a Linux user. I also have some questions about Linux, but
    for next time...

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Mar 27, 2005
  7. John

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:25:48 -0500, JANA wrote:

    > Thunderbird is an excellent emailer.
    >
    > I do have a question here: Is it possible to have the Mozella HTML writer,
    > which I think it is called Composer, without installing the complete
    > package? This would be for Windows.
    >
    > I realize you are a Linux user. I also have some questions about Linux, but
    > for next time...

    Sorry, don't know. About all I use Windows for is some games and Print
    Shop. I mostly keep it around so that the family will stay off my main
    system.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Mar 27, 2005
  8. John

    JANA Guest

    Why don't you get an alias email address, and have it forwarded, or get a
    public email address? An alias address can be changed in an instant.

    --

    I am located in Northern Canada, where it is very cold. Outside it is now
    about -12, and it is spring time. Just about 6 days ago, we received a good

    --

    My English should be good. I have a fair number of years of English grammar
    and composition studies behind me. A number of years back, I was writing

    I am not very young. I go back to when the first computers were around. I
    first worked on computers back in the mid 60's. I would not remember in
    depth details of these machines. The backups and operations were done on
    large two inch reel to reel tapes. The read/write heads were on a helical
    assembly with four heads. These worked on air-bearings.

    The programming was done in Fortran and assembly language using punch cards.
    IBM and Honeywell were the main companies involved in these machines.

    When I started, if a computer had more than 32 k of RAM, it was a huge
    machine. These computers took up many racks of equipment, and filled a large
    building. They were slow to program and set-up. But, for large scale jobs,
    they did save a lot of time.

    Early Honeywell Computers:
    http://starfish.osfn.org/~mikeu/h316/history.shtml

    Early IBM Computers:
    http://www.computerhope.com/history/194060.htm

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Mar 27, 2005
  9. John

    JANA Guest

    Here is my loaded question:

    I would be curios to know where I can find a copy of the shell command set
    for Linux, with the translation to know what they mean, in relation to the
    equivalent to the ones used in DOS. This would be something like a list of
    commands, with their functions, and their equivalents to the ones used in
    DOS. I would also like to see some examples of how they are applied.

    I have been told that the GUI for Linux is about the same as Windows, and it
    is very easy for a Windows experienced person to adapt to it.

    The reason why, is that I am thinking about getting another computer, and
    levels, as like I do with the Windows computers. This will take a lot of
    time, but I want to eventually do this. I will be networking the Linux
    computer to my main network, along with the rest of the computers.

    What flavour or release of Linux are you using?
    What programs are you using for your office (business) package?
    Have you tried Open Office?

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Mar 27, 2005
  10. John

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 01:11:59 -0500, JANA wrote:

    > Here is my loaded question:
    >
    > I would be curios to know where I can find a copy of the shell command
    > set for Linux, with the translation to know what they mean, in relation
    > to the equivalent to the ones used in DOS. This would be something like
    > a list of commands, with their functions, and their equivalents to the
    > ones used in DOS. I would also like to see some examples of how they are
    > applied.
    >
    > I have been told that the GUI for Linux is about the same as Windows,
    > and it is very easy for a Windows experienced person to adapt to it.
    >
    > The reason why, is that I am thinking about getting another computer,
    > and loading it up with Linux. I will want to be able to command it at
    > all levels, as like I do with the Windows computers. This will take a
    > lot of time, but I want to eventually do this. I will be networking the
    > Linux computer to my main network, along with the rest of the computers.
    >
    > What flavour or release of Linux are you using? What programs are you
    > using for your office (business) package? Have you tried Open Office?
    >
    > --
    >
    > JANA
    > _____

    There are hundreds of web sites, books and articles that will give you
    every command you could ever want, but I'm not sure what it is your
    interested in doing. If your a Sys Admin for an office complex you
    wouldn't be asking these questions, if your just setting up a home/office
    network you really don't need much in the way of commands. If you want to
    dive in and rewrite the kernel you'll need more then just a list of shell
    commands anyway.

    I've never had any trouble networking linux systems. Mostly it's been a
    matter of plugging them into a router and hitting the On button. Even
    print jobs to a central printer were preconfigured.

    I'm currently using Mandrake 10.0 Powerpack Edition. It comes with Open
    Office 1.1, which I use for my main office applications. I also use Open
    Office with my WinXP system, by the way. You can get Mandrake 10.0 and
    the most current version 10.1, which also includes OpenOffice, from
    MandrakeSoft at http://tinyurl.com/4vrur for about $85.00, or you can get
    it from Linux Central at http://tinyurl.com/5hp9v for about $15.00. They
    also give you KWord and AbiWord and half-dozen smaller text editors, ala
    Windows Notepad. Files can be saved as text (.txt) files and read in any
    Windows machine.

    That being said I like my Linux system because it's more interesting to
    me, easier to set up in a lot of ways, I can install it on all my
    computers for no extra charge, it's not as prone to getting whacked with a
    virus or trojan and I don't have to call Bill Gates every time I swap out
    a motherboard, however Windows is still ahead of any Linux distribution in
    a lot of features. The "average" user who plays computer games in Windows
    will be very dissapointed with Linux, you can't find a decent greeting
    card program like Print Shop Deluxe, streaming video like .asx formats
    won't work without programming skills, mounting some USB devices requires
    the command line and root access, hardware support is more limited
    especially when it comes to sound cards and graphics adapters. The next
    version of Mandrake is supposed to address these issues and should be
    released in a few months. We'll see.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Mar 27, 2005
  11. John

    VWWall Guest

    JANA wrote:
    > Here is my loaded question:
    >
    > I would be curios to know where I can find a copy of the shell command set
    > for Linux, with the translation to know what they mean, in relation to the
    > equivalent to the ones used in DOS. This would be something like a list of
    > commands, with their functions, and their equivalents to the ones used in
    > DOS. I would also like to see some examples of how they are applied.

    I came across an excellent summary recently:

    http://www.freeengineer.org/learnUNIXin10minutes.html

    Although it for UNIX, the command structure is similar.

    > I have been told that the GUI for Linux is about the same as Windows, and it
    > is very easy for a Windows experienced person to adapt to it.
    >
    > The reason why, is that I am thinking about getting another computer, and
    > levels, as like I do with the Windows computers. This will take a lot of
    > time, but I want to eventually do this. I will be networking the Linux
    > computer to my main network, along with the rest of the computers.

    Here's a good review of a bunch of Linux distros:

    http://www.itpeer.dyndns.org/tell_me_a_little_about_linux.htm

    Be careful: "Linux makes you stupid." Some of the more obnoxious
    posters seem to have managed without the help of Linux. Perhaps they had
    a head start. ;-)

    --
    VWW
    VWWall, Mar 27, 2005
  12. John

    echo Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I just wondered how many people in the group are using Firefox as
    > their primary browser? And how many people have tried it?

    I have been thinking about downloading Firefox after reading about it in
    the March Popular Mechanics (p. 25). But I don't know what would happen if I
    tried to install it. Internet Explorer doesn't have an uninstall command on
    Add/Remove Programs. I'm afraid it would mess up my computer BAD!. And I
    don't know if Firefox would work except with Thunderbird.

    > I am probably going to try Firefox on the family PC because I get a
    > lot of spyware through that. My system doesn't have any issues though
    > so I will probably stick with IE6.

    Pupular Mechanics also has some info on anti-spyware tools (pp.123-124).
    THEY claim that the best anti-spyware program is a free download from:

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware

    but I don't use it, and so have no opinion about it.
    echo, Mar 27, 2005
  13. I installed Firefox alongside of IE, exported Favorites and Cookies into FF.
    Both IE and FF work just fine. No problems. I use OE, not Thunderbird, with
    no problem. I have heard the same from others. Hope you have the same
    experience.

    Wayne R. Russ

    Wayne R. Russ, Mar 27, 2005
  14. John

    echo Guest

    "Wayne R. Russ" <> wrote in message
    > I installed Firefox alongside of IE, exported Favorites and Cookies into

    FF.
    > Both IE and FF work just fine. No problems. I use OE, not Thunderbird,

    with
    > no problem. I have heard the same from others. Hope you have the same
    > experience.
    >
    > Wayne R. Russ

    I was hoping for some feedback. Thanks very much.
    echo, Mar 28, 2005
  15. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:07:32 -0600, A strange species called "echo"
    <> wrote:

    >"Wayne R. Russ" <> wrote in message
    >> I installed Firefox alongside of IE, exported Favorites and Cookies into

    >FF.
    >> Both IE and FF work just fine. No problems. I use OE, not Thunderbird,

    >with
    >> no problem. I have heard the same from others. Hope you have the same
    >> experience.
    >>
    >> Wayne R. Russ

    > I was hoping for some feedback. Thanks very much.

    I installed it on the Win 98 computer I was having trouble with
    spyware and search bars automatically installing themselves. It is
    working great on that system and IE is not used at all on that one
    now, but is still installed.

    On this system I'm using now, Win XP, I also installed Firefox and
    have used it once or twice. I am still mainly using IE though because
    I don't have any issues on this system.

    If I wanted to use both programs I would have to keep importing the
    bookmarks from one application to the other as new ones are added,
    which would be time consuming and messy. I think it is best to just
    use one or the other and have all your bookmarks in one of them.

    Firefox is a great browser and a serious threat to IE though. I
    believe the design is similar to the old Netscape browsers except
    modern and customisable with many different skins.

    John
    John, Mar 30, 2005