  1. What does everyone think about this browser? I read an article about it and
    am considering switching to it... is it as good as they say it is?

    Thanks in advance!

    Buckaroo Banzai, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Buckaroo Banzai

    David Guest

    Yes, it is a good browser.
    Keep in mind you will need IE to do windows updates.
    Dave

    David, Jan 4, 2005

  3. "Buckaroo Banzai" <> wrote in message
    > What does everyone think about this browser? I read an article about it
    > and am considering switching to it... is it as good as they say it is?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Tried it. Personally I prefer IE, after SP2 added the popup blocker best I
    can say about Firefox is, it's not a bad IE clone.

    The Ancient One, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Buckaroo Banzai

    Guest

    all browsers piss me off one way or another. Try Opera too, that's a
    great browser.

    , Jan 4, 2005
  5. Buckaroo Banzai

    Thor Guest

    Firefox is a good alternative to IE, though I prefer Maxthon, which is a
    browser built around the existing IE rendering engine, yet adds a HUGE
    number of features that IE does not have, including tabbed browsing, a
    stellar pop-up blocker (which is better than IE6 SP2's blocker, BTW), skin
    support, handy unique plugins and too many other things to list. Give
    Firefox a try, but also try out Maxthon and see what you think.
    http://www.maxthon.com/en/index.htm

    Thor, Jan 4, 2005
  6. Buckaroo Banzai

    Ionizer Guest

    > What does everyone think about this browser? I read an article about it

    and
    > am considering switching to it... is it as good as they say it is?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Take it for a test drive- you don't need to make it your default browser
    right off the bat. During the install process, it will offer to import
    all of your IE favourites, which is a good thing. It will also offer to
    become your primary browser *if you like,* but it won't insist on it. You
    can decline, as I have done, and then very easily change your mind later
    on if you want to. It's not like installing something like RealPlayer,
    which wants to immediately take control of everything it can get its hands
    on the moment you install it.

    I've been happily using Firefox as my secondary browser for several months
    now.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jan 4, 2005
  7. Buckaroo Banzai

    CLV3 Guest

    > What does everyone think about this browser? I read an article about it

    and
    > am considering switching to it... is it as good as they say it is?

    Better. LOL. Actually I use it and am very happy with it. Some people have
    switched because of certain security issues. One thing I really like is the
    tabbed browser feature.

    CLV3, Jan 5, 2005
  8. Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

    > What does everyone think about this browser? I read an article about it and
    > am considering switching to it... is it as good as they say it is?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    I've used it for about a year. I would never switch back to Internet
    Explorer. However, there are other browsers out there so check them out.
    Firefox is the best one though, in my opinion.

    --

    There is nothing wrong with your news reader.
    Do not attempt to adjust your settings.

    Please stand by.
    http://www.weyounsworld.info/downloads/sounds/ol.mp3

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jan 5, 2005
  9. Two thumbs up. It is faster than IE and the tab feature is great!

    Mark Williams, Jan 5, 2005
  10. Buckaroo Banzai

    milo Guest

    > What does everyone think about this browser? I read an article about it

    and
    > am considering switching to it... is it as good as they say it is?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    I love it for the tabbed browsing, but has any one had there bookmarks
    dissapear?

    milo
    ____-

    milo, Jan 5, 2005
  11. "milo" <> wrote in message

    > "Buckaroo Banzai" <> wrote in message
    >> What does everyone think about this browser? I read an article about it

    > and
    >> am considering switching to it... is it as good as they say it is?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!
    >>

    > I love it for the tabbed browsing, but has any one had there bookmarks
    > dissapear?

    (Not directed at anyone in particular)

    I will never understand why everyone makes a fuss over "tabbed browsing". I
    look at my task bar with IE, I see "tabs" for every window I have open.
    Sure, you open all your "tabs" in one browser window, but is that really
    that great? I sometimes have 6 or 8 pages open on IE, so what. Might take my
    1.2 seconds longer to close them all, but again, so what.
    Seems like a lot of fuss over what is basically nothing to me, I'll stick
    with IE, it does everything I want and does it well. I think 90% of
    switchers are mainly just, at least to a point, anti-Microsoft, the rest are
    just never content with what they have.

    Douglas A. Shrader, Jan 5, 2005
  12. Since changing to Firefox all my security problems have disappeared
    (viruses, spyware etc).

    Whether this is because Firefox is more secure, or because the writers of
    viruses etc have not discovered Firefox yet, I can not judge.

    I still use IE for accessing Microsoft's website which has recently taken to
    blocking other browsers, and some badly written sites don't work perfectly
    in Firefox, but on the whole I am very happy that I changed.

    John

    John Rampling, Jan 5, 2005
  13. Buckaroo Banzai

    Thor Guest

    > (Not directed at anyone in particular)
    >
    > I will never understand why everyone makes a fuss over "tabbed browsing".
    > I look at my task bar with IE, I see "tabs" for every window I have open.
    > Sure, you open all your "tabs" in one browser window, but is that really
    > that great? I sometimes have 6 or 8 pages open on IE, so what. Might take
    > my 1.2 seconds longer to close them all, but again, so what.
    > Seems like a lot of fuss over what is basically nothing to me, I'll stick
    > with IE, it does everything I want and does it well. I think 90% of
    > switchers are mainly just, at least to a point, anti-Microsoft, the rest
    > are just never content with what they have.

    Douglas, I really and honestly thought the same thing until I tried a
    browser with tabs just out of curiosity. That was "Crazy Browser" and at
    that point I was hooked. Now I use Maxthon and I wouldn't ever go back to a
    non-tabbed browser. For one thing, the taskbar buttons are too large to fit
    very many on there without shrinking them (and their titles) to the point of
    compressed uselessness, and they must also share space on there with other
    applications I might have running as well as an extensive icon toolbar. When
    I was using IE, I would not have very many pages open at once because I
    hated when the buttons would shrink up like that. With Maxthon, I now
    routinely have 10, 15, 20 or more pages open, because tabs in Maxthon can
    have a minimum width set so you always can see the title of the page that is
    loaded, and also a custom icon if it has one, and you can fit far more tabs
    across the length of the screen than you can with taskbar buttons. And if
    you open more, they will start another row beneath the next. The tabs also
    show you the loading state of each page, and it's more efficient with system
    resources not having a separate browser window for every page. It's just a
    more convenient and elegant solution to managing multiple open webpages all
    the way around. I'm very picky about the usability and interface of my
    browser. I have it customized to the point that it has everything I want on
    the toolbars, and nothing I don't. So when something like tabbed browsing
    comes along and makes that experience a little more simple and convenient,
    it's worth it to me. And, even if opening multiple sessions in IE is not
    that much more difficult, tabs are still easier to use and manage IMHO, and
    that combined with the host of other features Maxthon has that IE does not,
    easily make it worth having.

    Also, I'm definitely not anti-microsoft. I just really enjoy the features in
    Maxthon. If I was seriously anti-MS, I wouldn't be using a browser that
    still uses IE's rendering engine. Maxthon is like IE on steroids. Why don't
    you give it a try (a serious evaluation, not a 5 minute glance BTW) and see
    what all the fuss is about with tabbed browsing? If it's not compelling
    enough for you to continue using it, then so be it. But for me, anything
    that makes my web browsing more convenient and user-friendly, is going to
    have a home on my machine, especially when it's free, and is a very small
    download. Yeah, I could get along fine with IE if I had to. But why should I
    have to settle for something that is even the tiniest bit inconvenient, if I
    don't have to? If taskbar buttons for each webpage opened are good enough
    for you, then more power to ya. They just aren't good enough for me anymore.

    Thor, Jan 5, 2005