Firefox xpi extension install

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Richard D, Jun 17, 2006.

  1. Richard D

    Richard D Guest

    Hi group,

    Having a very simple non-critical issue... Still using suse 10; I like
    playing on a game site infrequently, and for the most part it appears
    that gamedesire.com wish me to install:
    http://67.15.101.3/g_bin/eng/billard8_2_0_0_24.xpi

    If i don't install this as root, I get an 'error occurred during
    installation' - which I guess is because it can't write the file to disk
    due to permission issues.

    If i try to install the above file as root after clicking 'accept
    installation', it downloads the plugin, but with no error message
    disappears from screen never to be seen again!

    I would obviously like to play the game without running firefox as root
    from the console, but I'm pondering how to get the xpi file to install
    first before I worry about that!

    Thanks for any firefox advice,

    Richard.

    Richard D, Jun 17, 2006

  2. Richard D

    Olgierd Guest

    *Richard D* wrote:

    > I would obviously like to play the game without running firefox as root
    > from the console, but I'm pondering how to get the xpi file to install
    > first before I worry about that!

    I would never trust an extension demanding root privileges. I never
    install any extension from outside Mozilla Corp. site.
    Seemingly they want to provide your computer with some serious shit.

    --
    pozdrawiam serdecznie, Olgierd
    ||| JID:eek: ||| http://olgierd.wordpress.com |||

    Olgierd, Jun 17, 2006

  3. Richard D

    gwtc Guest

    Richard D wrote:

    > Hi group,
    >
    > Having a very simple non-critical issue... Still using suse 10; I like
    > playing on a game site infrequently, and for the most part it appears
    > that gamedesire.com wish me to install:
    > http://67.15.101.3/g_bin/eng/billard8_2_0_0_24.xpi
    >
    > If i don't install this as root, I get an 'error occurred during
    > installation' - which I guess is because it can't write the file to disk
    > due to permission issues.
    >
    > If i try to install the above file as root after clicking 'accept
    > installation', it downloads the plugin, but with no error message
    > disappears from screen never to be seen again!
    >
    > I would obviously like to play the game without running firefox as root
    > from the console, but I'm pondering how to get the xpi file to install
    > first before I worry about that!
    >
    > Thanks for any firefox advice,
    >
    > Richard.

    in the address bar type in about:config and look for the entry of:

    xpinstall.enabled

    and when found double click on it and change it to true.

    --
    Funny Things To Do in An Elevator: Tip #2: Grimace painfully while
    smacking your forehead and muttering: "Shut up, dammit! All of you

    gwtc, Jun 17, 2006
  4. Richard D

    Richard D Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Richard D wrote:
    >
    >> Hi group,
    >>
    >> Having a very simple non-critical issue... Still using suse 10; I like
    >> playing on a game site infrequently, and for the most part it appears
    >> that gamedesire.com wish me to install:
    >> http://67.15.101.3/g_bin/eng/billard8_2_0_0_24.xpi
    >>
    >> If i don't install this as root, I get an 'error occurred during
    >> installation' - which I guess is because it can't write the file to disk
    >> due to permission issues.
    >>
    >> If i try to install the above file as root after clicking 'accept
    >> installation', it downloads the plugin, but with no error message
    >> disappears from screen never to be seen again!
    >>
    >> I would obviously like to play the game without running firefox as root
    >> from the console, but I'm pondering how to get the xpi file to install
    >> first before I worry about that!
    >>
    >> Thanks for any firefox advice,
    >>
    >> Richard.

    > in the address bar type in about:config and look for the entry of:
    >
    > xpinstall.enabled
    >
    > and when found double click on it and change it to true.

    Thanks very much, this was already enabled. I have some java console
    messages I will post, there's a number of them. I'm not sure which
    one(s) are the base cause of the issue however.

    Richard D, Jun 18, 2006
  5. Richard D

    Richard D Guest

    Richard D, Jun 18, 2006
  6. Richard D

    Richard D Guest

    Olgierd wrote:
    > *Richard D* wrote:
    >
    >> I would obviously like to play the game without running firefox as root
    >> from the console, but I'm pondering how to get the xpi file to install
    >> first before I worry about that!

    > I would never trust an extension demanding root privileges. I never
    > install any extension from outside Mozilla Corp. site.
    > Seemingly they want to provide your computer with some serious shit.

    It doesn't require root, but I suspect firefox doesn't have the right to
    write the xpi file to a certain folder.

    That particular xpi is perfectly safe, I decompiled it a while ago :)

    Richard D, Jun 18, 2006
  7. Richard D

    Richard D Guest

    Richard D, Jun 18, 2006