Firefox Won't Start

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by dwegeng@gmail.com, May 12, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a repeatable problem with Firefox 1.0.3 (and previous versions
    starting with 1.0) running on XP SP2. My wife and I have seperate
    Firefox profiles, so we start Firefox with the -p flag. The problem is
    that in many cases, Firefox will not start after we select a profile.
    In other words:

    1. Start Firefox with the -p flag.
    2. Select a profile on the Profile Manager window, then select Start.
    3. Nothing happens.

    When this occurs, I can use the XP Task Manager to see a firefox.exe
    task running (sometimes there will be more than one instance of
    firefox.exe running), which I have to kill before I will be able to
    start Firefox.

    This problem is very repeatable, approaching 100% of the time. In
    addition, I have learned that if I count to five between steps 1 and 2
    above, then Firefox will start without any problems. Sounds like there
    may be a race condition...

    I suspect that most people do not use the -p flag, so most people will
    never encounter this problem. Does anyone know if this is a known
    problem, and if a fix is being developed?

    Thanks!
    /Don

    , May 12, 2005

  2. Roland Guest

    On 12-5-2005 17:52, wrote:

    > I have a repeatable problem with Firefox 1.0.3 (and previous versions
    > starting with 1.0) running on XP SP2. My wife and I have seperate
    > Firefox profiles, so we start Firefox with the -p flag. The problem is
    > that in many cases, Firefox will not start after we select a profile.
    > In other words:
    >
    > 1. Start Firefox with the -p flag.
    > 2. Select a profile on the Profile Manager window, then select Start.
    > 3. Nothing happens.
    >
    > When this occurs, I can use the XP Task Manager to see a firefox.exe
    > task running (sometimes there will be more than one instance of
    > firefox.exe running), which I have to kill before I will be able to
    > start Firefox.
    >
    > This problem is very repeatable, approaching 100% of the time. In
    > addition, I have learned that if I count to five between steps 1 and 2
    > above, then Firefox will start without any problems. Sounds like there
    > may be a race condition...
    >
    > I suspect that most people do not use the -p flag, so most people will
    > never encounter this problem. Does anyone know if this is a known
    > problem, and if a fix is being developed?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > /Don

    It's possible to start firefox with the appropriate profile directly:
    firefox.exe -p "Name Of Profile"
    Does it also happen if you start firefox in this way?
    (You could create two shortcuts, one for you and one for your wife).
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ___ ___
    /__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \

    Roland, May 12, 2005

  3. Guest

    Roland wrote:
    > It's possible to start firefox with the appropriate profile directly:
    > firefox.exe -p "Name Of Profile"
    > Does it also happen if you start firefox in this way?
    > (You could create two shortcuts, one for you and one for your wife).

    Good suggestion. I will try that and report back in a couple days.

    Thanks!

    /Don

    , May 13, 2005