    exactly?

    Thanks for any suggestion,

    César
    CNDA, Jan 17, 2005

  2. CNDA

    Kneewax Guest

    CNDA wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > I still haven't been able to have Firefox open Outlook Express (OE)
    > since I tried and removed Thunderbird as my mail application. I have
    > uninstalled and re-installed FF a couple of times, but the problem
    > persists: it won't open OE when I hit the read mail button or icon.
    >
    > This smells like a change in the register has to be made, but where
    > exactly?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestion,
    >
    > César

    Have you checked to see if OE is the default mail application. Start >
    Settings > Control Panel > Internet Options

    In the program tab is a list of the default programs for internet and
    mail related things. Make sure OE is selected in the 'E-mail:' dropdown.

    Out of interest what was it you didn't like about TB?

    Cheers
    Kneewax

    History is an illusion caused by the passage of time.
    Time is an illusion caused by the passage of History
    - Wave Harmonic Theory of
    Historical Perception (DNA)

    Make my 'cold' a 'hot' to mail me!
    Kneewax, Jan 17, 2005

  3. CNDA

    CNDA Guest

    Thank you for your response and advice. I tried your suggestion already
    the first time I wrote about this in this NG. Curiously, the "new
    message" option does work, it's just that the "read_mail_and_ news"
    doesn't.

    My problem with TB was that I couldn't get Hotmail to work with it,
    better, I had no problems with OE and I decided not to make the switch.

    As to FF, I'm glad to have it despite that microscopic glitch. Thanks to
    the people that put it together.

    César.

    CNDA, Jan 18, 2005
  4. CNDA

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:48:41 +0100, in message
    <>, CNDA wrote:

    > Curiously, the "new
    > message" option does work, it's just that the "read_mail_and_ news"
    > doesn't.

    That is the critical bit of information. Without having told us this,
    you would most likely get answers for making the "new message" option work.

    For "read_mail_and_news", the registry entries on my computer are
    as below. "New message" has other registry entries in different places.

    | [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail]
    | @="Outlook Express"
    |
    | [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\shell\open\command]
    | @="\"C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\\MSIMN.EXE\" /mail"

    I have an older version of OE (and maybe a different OS version) so YMMV.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Politicians are like diapers:
    they need to be changed often,
    and for the same reasons.
    Ralph Fox, Jan 18, 2005
  5. CNDA

    CNDA Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...

    CNDA, Jan 18, 2005
  6. CNDA

    CNDA Guest

    Thanks Ralph, I think I'll leave the registry alone until I get an idea
    how to make these changes in a safe way.

    I have Windows 2K and your entries differ slightly from the ones in my
    registry.

    César

    CNDA, Jan 18, 2005
  7. CNDA

    CNDA Guest

    I was able to goggle the answer at:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultmail.htm

    It claims is for XP only, but it worked for me.

    César

    CNDA, Jan 19, 2005
  8. CNDA

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:19:35 +0100, in message
    <>, CNDA wrote:

    > I was able to goggle the answer at:
    >
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultmail.htm
    >
    > It claims is for XP only, but it worked for me.
    >
    > César

    Good to hear.
    Ralph Fox, Jan 21, 2005
  9. CNDA

    ron111

    Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Same Problem Here After Uninstalling Thunderbird Mail. Outlook Express Will Not Open.

    I had used Firefox to open Outlook Express. I installed Thunderbird to test it out. I then uninstalled it. From that point on, Outlook Express would not open through the Firefox mail toolbar tab. It will open if you select the new message option or send a link option.
    ron111, May 18, 2006
  10. CNDA

    WSenkow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Here's the correct , and simple fix:

    Run regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\Mail, right-click the default entry, choose modify, type in Outlook Express, click OK and you're done!
    WSenkow, Oct 4, 2006