    Any runtimes or library extentions I might have to install (tried ms
    runtime libraries and oadist so far without success).

    tia, -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Re: firefox won't install - humorous conclusion

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > I've just done a vanilla install of Win98 after a major harddrive crash.
    > Trying to install firefox, it gets as far as extracting files, then
    > 'checking file integrity' and when it finishes that it crashes to
    > desktop. No error messages, nothing. I have installed this very archive
    > on several machines without a problem.
    >
    > Anyone know anything about this?
    >
    > possible factors - I haven't got hold of the video card driver disk yet,
    > and so the display is still in vga (640x400).
    >
    > Any runtimes or library extentions I might have to install (tried ms
    > runtime libraries and oadist so far without success).
    >
    > tia, -Peter

    This is a bit of a laugh, really. AVG didn't want to install without at
    least MSIE 5.01 on the system - so, after installing first IE 5 and then
    AVG, I tried Firefox again. And it worked.

    rotfl

    Firefox needs MSIE 5 in order to install!!!

    this really is something special.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Peter Huebner

    Thor Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > ess says...

    > This is a bit of a laugh, really. AVG didn't want to install without at
    > least MSIE 5.01 on the system - so, after installing first IE 5 and then
    > AVG, I tried Firefox again. And it worked.
    >
    > rotfl
    >
    > Firefox needs MSIE 5 in order to install!!!
    >
    > this really is something special.
    >
    > -P.

    Really well you won't find it on my system and firefox works fine.

    The games computer 98 runs 98 lite and doesn't have IE at all, it has
    firefox 1.0.1..

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor
    Thor, Mar 23, 2005
  4. Peter Huebner

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:18:09 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> says...
    > I've just done a vanilla install of Win98 after a major harddrive crash.
    > Trying to install firefox, it gets as far as extracting files, then
    > 'checking file integrity' and when it finishes that it crashes to
    > desktop. No error messages, nothing. I have installed this very archive
    > on several machines without a problem.
    >
    > Anyone know anything about this?
    >
    > possible factors - I haven't got hold of the video card driver disk yet,
    > and so the display is still in vga (640x400).
    >
    > Any runtimes or library extentions I might have to install (tried ms
    > runtime libraries and oadist so far without success).

    IE 5.x is required to run any Mozilla product, in my experience.
    Rob J, Mar 23, 2005
  5. Peter Huebner

    Rob J Guest

    Re: firefox won't install - humorous conclusion

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:21:20 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> says...
    > In article <>,
    > ess says...
    > > I've just done a vanilla install of Win98 after a major harddrive crash.
    > > Trying to install firefox, it gets as far as extracting files, then
    > > 'checking file integrity' and when it finishes that it crashes to
    > > desktop. No error messages, nothing. I have installed this very archive
    > > on several machines without a problem.
    > >
    > > Anyone know anything about this?
    > >
    > > possible factors - I haven't got hold of the video card driver disk yet,
    > > and so the display is still in vga (640x400).
    > >
    > > Any runtimes or library extentions I might have to install (tried ms
    > > runtime libraries and oadist so far without success).
    > >
    > > tia, -Peter

    > This is a bit of a laugh, really. AVG didn't want to install without at
    > least MSIE 5.01 on the system - so, after installing first IE 5 and then
    > AVG, I tried Firefox again. And it worked.
    >
    > rotfl
    >
    > Firefox needs MSIE 5 in order to install!!!
    >
    > this really is something special.

    Not really.

    Each edition of IE includes major updates to core system components like
    the common controls.
    Rob J, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Re: firefox won't install - humorous conclusion

    Thor wrote:
    >>Firefox needs MSIE 5 in order to install!!!
    >>this really is something special.

    > Really well you won't find it on my system and firefox works fine.
    > The games computer 98 runs 98 lite and doesn't have IE at all, it has
    > firefox 1.0.1..

    it might have been missing some dll or similar system type file(maybe
    wrong version) and so the it(the installer) wouldn't run.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 23, 2005
  7. Peter Huebner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Re: firefox won't install - humorous conclusion

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in

    > it might have been missing some dll or similar system type file(maybe
    > wrong version) and so the it(the installer) wouldn't run.

    Should be in a log somewhere too.
    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 24, 2005
  8. Re: firefox won't install - humorous conclusion

    In article <Xns9623BE3099F53daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    says...

    > Should be in a log somewhere too.
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Now that is an interesting suggestion. Must admit, I've absolutely no
    idea where exactly Firefox extracts its files to (somewhere deep in the
    temp or tmp directories ???). Unfortunately a lot of sfx installers
    create directories called s.th. like {sfhiwtigiwkwk134y92ytsan} these
    days.

    But the machine is out of my hands by now, so the question will remain
    unanswered for some time, at least for me.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Mar 24, 2005
  9. Peter Huebner

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I've just done a vanilla install of Win98 after a major harddrive crash.
    > Trying to install firefox, it gets as far as extracting files, then
    > 'checking file integrity' and when it finishes that it crashes to
    > desktop. No error messages, nothing. I have installed this very archive
    > on several machines without a problem.
    >
    > Anyone know anything about this?
    >
    > possible factors - I haven't got hold of the video card driver disk yet,
    > and so the display is still in vga (640x400).
    >
    > Any runtimes or library extentions I might have to install (tried ms
    > runtime libraries and oadist so far without success).
    >
    > tia, -Peter

    Somthing must have been wrong with the install file or was it just
    win98? It worked with a Vanilla Install of Win98 here on a pentium200
    with 64MB ram no updates used at all hell even the internet connection
    wissard had not been run as firefox worked but IE saaid to run the
    connection wissard and wanted to find or install a non exsisting modem
    and outlook LOL fixed that.

    Robert Cooze, Mar 25, 2005
  10. In article <42447380$1_2@127.0.0.1>, says...
    > Somthing must have been wrong with the install file or was it just
    > win98?

    Must've had something to do with Win98 - an older version that installs
    with IE 4. Neither Mozilla 1.0 nor Mozilla 1.01 would install, but
    crashed to desktop after checking its extracted files.

    Obviously some dll type as I initially suspected - except I didn't know
    what to try outside the runtimes and the oadist. They may well be
    included in Win98SE, or any Office product or whatever ...

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Mar 25, 2005